BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

Mid sept will have around 5 days to get after it a little. I live in Ucluelet so will have to factor travel and ferry time into it.

I've traditionally gone south each year, so this time around will be newish for me, and any info would be great.

Basically looking for fun twisty roads, good scenery, and little highway slogs.

Also curious as to the hotel/airbnb/camping situation. Are hotels/motels readily available? I'd MUCH rather not book ahead, to preserve some freedom of choice.

I'm on an FZ09, and like to stop when I want etc, so 400km days seem to be a sweet spot for me.

Thanks and look forward to the replies!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Nice time of the year to travel. Should be a lot less traffic and more available motel rooms.
Pretty hard to beat the bc southern interior. Lots of bikers head for Nakusp. Great roads coming and going. Cheap motel in Kaslo. You can spend days riding the twisties down there.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
the best riding in BC is in the Kootenays, but it's a bit of a trek to get there. to avoid out-and-back on Hwy 3, I'd suggest starting with the Duffey. then wander east. then loop back west. a little time on google maps gives me this:

day 1: to ferry; VCR to Pemberton to Lillooet. the Duffey is the best m/c road in SW BC, by some margin. Lillooet is not a great town to stay in, but there are quite few motels and several passable eateries. and to go further is not good... naught in Lytton or Spences Bridge... 500kms 8/12 hrs

day2: 12 to Lytton - really good. 1 to Spences Bridge (highway commute) then 8 to Merritt - superb! 5A to Kamloops excellent, with wonderful scenery. Barnhartvale road ( obscure, and good) then 97 to Vernon. 375 kms 5 hrs. short day...

day 3: "the business"! Vernon to Nakusp via Monashee Pass and Faquier ferry. really REALLY good. 6 to Slocan ( good south of New Denver), then lap back to New Denver. lap 31A New Denver to Kaslo as many times as you have time and energy and fuel. it does not get any better, especially the east half, from the lake down to Kaslo. awesome! then on to Nelson ( really good in a couple sections). 475 kms 6 1/2 hrs

day 4: Nelson to Merritt via Rock Creek and Kelowna. it's easy to get directly back to VCR from Nelson directly via hwy 3, leaving at 6 am and into town by 2 pm. but if you've got the extra day, diverting north will include some great roads. 33 is wonderful, but has a reputation for deer... suffer thru kelowna and do a fast freeway burn to Merritt. small town, but Kelowna is ugly and too far from VCR... 510kms 6 hrs as I've mapped it.

day 5: Princeton > Manning Park > home. 5A south to Princeton is very good. Princeton to Manning Park ditto, altho you need to move thru traffic aggressively to enjoy the curves. then a commute... 375kms 4 1/2 hrs to VCR; 630 kms 9 1/2 hrs to get you home.

two comments:
(a) 400kms is not very far, frankly, unless you're stopping a lot. 600kms per day is more average, if you're at all saddle fit. in other words, some of these stopping points could be pushed on a bit... but then, there's not always an attractive option within an hour or so down the road...
(b) by mid-Sept, it's almost certain you won't have 5 perfect weather days... if there is a narrow window, focus on Monashee Pass and new Denver to Kaslo. they're the best roads out there, and not that convenient / quick to get to.

motels should be OK in Sept, but it's worth phoning ahead to check on availability. this summer is surprisingly fully booked.

have a great trip!

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Oldgixxer and Doser summed it up really well, the best street motorcycling is in southeast central Region, the foothills of the Monashee range and western Rocky foothills. It’s the best we’ve got in BC. I’ll add a potential theme to the ride, a hot spring tour of sorts. Nakusp, Ainsworth, Halcyon, and Albert Canyon hot springs make for a very nice loop ride with ability to soak and chill for the next day.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great stuff guys, much appreciated.

You're right doser, 400km is not alot, but I've increasingly found myself wanting to stop and take a picture, have a wander around, get a coffee and take in the town for a minute, etc. Guess I'm getting older eh.

Your route is a very good and achievable one, and thanks for putting in the time to create it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Port Hardy to Bella Coola stay the night and figure it out from there ? 24 out of 100 mile house is a good FZ09 road south to Kamloops,old 5 to merritt out the back of merritt to Spences bridge,south to Litton ,north to Lillowett ,Duffy Lk to Horseshoe bay and home ! Done,now go do it and let us know how it turns out .

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
I did Hardy to Bella Coola last summer. Be aware that ferry run is not cheap, is. Full day just on the boat. 12 hours, and must be reserved sometimes weeks ahead.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah the 19 up to hardy is pretty uninteresting imo. That would also eat up 2 days by the time I got to bella coola.

Good option for a longer tour. Heard the boat ride is beautiful.

Edited for accuracy

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Some hotels & restaurants up here are operating as usual, others not so much. Ainsworth & Halycon are both closed to the public.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Yeah the 19 up to hardy is pretty uninteresting imo. That would also eat up 2 days by the time I got to bella coola.

Good option for a longer tour. Heard the boat ride is beautiful.

Edited for accuracy
I’ll agree, Campbell River to Hardy is really boring. As is Anahim Lake to Williams Lake. The boat ride is simply spectacular however, especially if sunny.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I did Bella Coola in 8.5 hours last fall ,pretty exciting ,hit rain in little fort all the way to Kelowna Google maps says 11:05 travel time.....no wonder it was exciting .

·
Registered
609 Posts
Spent the night in kaslo last Saturday. The motel is a great value there, super cool little town. Awesome riding all around there. Hwy 6, Lumby to fauquier is fantastic as has been mentioned multiple times. I've lost track this year how many times I've been over and back as it's in my backyard. But it just doesn't grow old, only really gets better knowing the road well.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts