BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
18,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some opinion on 600cc sportbikes...

Of particular interest are which model years from the manufacturers to be avoided, and why.

Thanks,
Ban-dee-doh.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
all of them for me! nothing but bad news, tickets, losing license. I recommend a supermoto or a drz. close to 3 years clean of any incidents with the law. 10x times funner in the twisties.

·
41 over!
1,261 Posts
Budget would be helpful.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,052 Posts
Buy an '05 GSXR1000, slap a real damper on it, a double bubble windscreen, get Marbod to bounce on it, some sticky ass rubber and you're tight.

·
Fookin Prawn
7,006 Posts
The 09 R6 I had was pretty good, bought it for 6 sold it for 7 with 13,000 km on it. Everyone was concerned about the ergos, well my old and withered friends anyway. It was comfier than the Panigale.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Stay as far the fuck away from the GSX-R 600 & 750 from 2006/2007 as possible.

Suzuki put their rectifier behind the radiator and against the motor and above the headers. They burn out unless they're relocated, and even if they are, they can still fry (buddies mosfet rectifier, placed in the tail just went). The stator also likes to go at the same time as the rectifier, and will usually toast your battery, frying your ECU if it feels like it.

The Exhaust valve also can seize up if you put on any real KM's or the servo motor can die, throwing an FI code and making throttle response choppy and engine braking harsh with little to no transition (think of it like someone pressing the front brake).

There are also some documented cases where the rectifier becomes a Recti-FIRE and you get a cool flame shooting up from below the gas tank.

I also find it the most uncomfortable supersport I've sat on. This is both with OEM and corbin seats.

* ABOVE PIC IS NOT MY BIKE.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Stay as far the fuck away from the GSX-R 600 & 750 from 2006/2007 as possible.

Suzuki put their rectifier behind the radiator and against the motor and above the headers. They burn out unless they're relocated, and even if they are, they can still fry (buddies mosfet rectifier, placed in the tail just went). The stator also likes to go at the same time as the rectifier, and will usually toast your battery, frying your ECU if it feels like it.

The Exhaust valve also can seize up if you put on any real KM's or the servo motor can die, throwing an FI code and making throttle response choppy and engine braking harsh with little to no transition (think of it like someone pressing the front brake).

There are also some documented cases where the rectifier becomes a Recti-FIRE and you get a cool flame shooting up from below the gas tank.

I also find it the most uncomfortable supersport I've sat on. This is both with OEM and corbin seats.

* ABOVE PIC IS NOT MY BIKE.
I rode a 750 for about 600km straight and my knees were sore for 2 weeks. Never riding a gsxr again.

·
lover of twins
6,080 Posts
I rode a 750 for about 600km straight and my knees were sore for 2 weeks. Never riding a gsxr again.
pffft - rookie.

i once rode an rc51 for 1100kms straight and went to the gym the next day and squatted 400lbs.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I've done the duffey loop as well as several multi-hundred km trips. Though I wasn't sore the next day, I did wish I was on a v-strom within the first 75km.

pffft - rookie.

i once rode an rc51 for 1100kms straight and went to the gym the next day and squatted 400lbs.
PFFFFFT - NOOOOOOB!

I once rode 10 hours on a Ninja 250 and stayed home and did squat the next day :flashy

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Thanks dyslexia for that info. I was seriously considering a gsxr 750. I have heard of electrical issues on the gsxr but never thought they were that bad. A buddy of mine has his rectifier on the side of his fairings but I haven't heard him complain of a failure yet.

·
Team Modern Racing
1,032 Posts
To be clear the regulator/rectifier on the GSX-R is a recall, not because of where it's mounted, but because of the regulator/rectifier manufacturer had made a design flaw. It also affects other Suzuki models that are included in the recall. If the regulator/rectifier does fail the battery will drain but ECU will be safe. According to the recall "regulator/rectifiers built between July '07 and Sept '09 have an inadequate amount of adhesion between the power module and the case, which results in unit not being sufficiently cooled by it's heat sink"

I never had a regulator/rectifier problem on my '08 GSX-R and the recall wasn't announced while I owned it. Since the recall came out in 2011 most bikes should already be done.

There's also a couple problems with certain years of the R6. One is the oil sending unit that causes oil starvation ending with a blown motor. I'm not sure if there's a recall but I know that's why those model years of R6 racebikes usually have a supersport built motor. The other problem is that if the bike goes down the fuel tank is vulnerable to rupturing resulting in a fire - they make tank protectors to avoid this.

As for how comfortable any sportbike is or isn't... It is fricken crazy how many riders I see at trackdays that have never adjusted footpegs, shifters, levers, clipons, ride height, sag, etc from stock positions to fit them properly and suit their riding style.

I once had the opportunity to start racing either on a CBR 600RR, R6, GSX-R 600 or ZX-6. For me the both the 600RR and R6 felt like I was riding more on the bike rather than in it. I eventually went with the GSX-R rather than the ZX-6 simply because it was narrower around the fuel tank and made for a better riding position for me. At the time another racer had gone with the ZX-6 and I kept winning our battles on the racetrack... just sayin'!

I have owned & raced a 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, and currently a 2011 GSX-R 600 as well as a 1997 GSX-R 750.
I also raced an R6 and CBR F4i in endurance races (6-8hrs). I also owned a few CBR's before I started racing and ridden almost every other make, model and size sportbike on the track. I think the only sportbikes I haven't ridden yet are the RC-8 and the Desmosedici.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
To be clear the regulator/rectifier on the GSX-R is a recall, not because of where it's mounted, but because of the regulator/rectifier manufacturer had made a design flaw. It also affects other Suzuki models that are included in the recall. If the regulator/rectifier does fail the battery will drain but ECU will be safe. According to the recall "regulator/rectifiers built between July '07 and Sept '09 have an inadequate amount of adhesion between the power module and the case, which results in unit not being sufficiently cooled by it's heat sink"
Thats all well and good, but if the bike was built between 12/2005 & 06/2007, the recall wouldn't matter. They replaced it on the K8 as far as I am aware. No K6 or K7's ever got the recall as suzuki failed to acknowledge it as being an issue. K9/10 GSX-R's do NOT have the rectifier issue as far as I know.

Thanks dyslexia for that info. I was seriously considering a gsxr 750. I have heard of electrical issues on the gsxr but never thought they were that bad. A buddy of mine has his rectifier on the side of his fairings but I haven't heard him complain of a failure yet.
As I said, my buddy had his relocated to the tail when he bought the bike (2007 @ 11k km, @ 16k km now) and the rectifier just went. It was a mosfet one too, so it should have lasted MUCH longer than the regular OEM style rectifiers.

Here's where I have mine:
IMG-20140417-00006.jpg

One more issue I recall reading about on the Gixxer forums is that on some (a few) K6 600/750's and a few more K7 600/750's the sidestand switch can screw up, resulting in the bike randomly cutting out. This is especially fun when you're leaned over and the bike dies on you.

The post on the gixxer forum post was about 4 or 5 guys in the Tampa area who all had k6/k7 600 and 750's and all of them experienced the issue, at least 2 of em lowsided because of it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The new 636s
Yea the 636 is a fantastic all rounder bike. If anyone is thinking of getting a Brand New 600 then that would be my suggestion. Its got the best street comfort but can still whoop any other 600 on the race track.

But if you are planing on racing, dont think they are allowed in the 600 class. You'll have to go with the ZX6RR version with 599cc engine. :/

@MrDsylexia Daymm, those are some pretty crazy design flaws! Best to stay clear of them said model years.

·
+ 39.9 km/h
1,518 Posts
In my opinion the Triumph - Daytona 675 is the best looking bike out there, 600cc or other.
In my other opinion... I only buy litre bikes.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts