BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Kawasaki not producing the 636 anymore,will their be a Kawasaki 800cc ninja comeing as a 2008?

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
Moto GP bikes must not, by the rulebook, be based on any production motorcycle.
you are correct. MotoGP bikes are a class of their own and are not based on a production bike therefore manufacturers are not required to produce any number of them to compete. they are one off bikes. i believe Ducati actually produced a stret legal version of the Desmosedici V4 just for shits and giggles but i don't think it was for sale but display only.

·
(newbie)
333 Posts
being a zx7r owner....if kawi did come out with a 800cc and took some design ideas from the zx7r, It would be my next bike gauranteed.

·
Member #827
1,505 Posts
Ducati actually produced a stret legal version of the Desmosedici V4 just for shits and giggles but i don't think it was for sale but display only.
They're making a few hundred of them, yes they're for sale (soldout long ago), and yes they'll be seen @ coffee shops near you :surrender

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why would you want a 800, when you could have a 1000 in the same insurance bracket? My FZ rocks and it's comfy too!
Sometimes money does not matter,but usable HP does 1000's hold 160 to180hp at the rear wheel.Maybe the zx800 will hold 140 to 150 at the rear wheel.Would love to see Daytona 200 running these bikes!!!So I bet the SOP :tredmill has started all ready.

·
less talk, more ride
207 Posts
Sometimes money does not matter,but usable HP does 1000's hold 160 to180hp at the rear wheel.Maybe the zx800 will hold 140 to 150 at the rear wheel.Would love to see Daytona 200 running these bikes!!!So I bet the SOP :tredmill has started all ready.

180hp at the wheel is very unrealistic for a stock/bolt on 1000...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
180hp at the wheel is very unrealistic for a stock/bolt on 1000...
You are right,Its just a range but the slowsuz are pushing 170hp.The thread is about the posible 800cc sport bikes!!!:horse

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Because the 800 might be a better bike? :2cents
And it'll probably burn a little less gas.

Nobody mentioned the VFR 800 either. But I think it's a stupid engine size point for manufacturers to target... It's just into the insurance bracket for the larger bikes (in a lot of markets, anyway), with only marginal benefit over a 750.

Bring back the VFR750! Or a VFR1000, to make paying that much more for insurance worthwhile. :)

In the meantime, people still ask me if my 1996 VFR is new, and it still has more power than I know what to do with.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So does Kent. :)
We know about the VFR 800 and the Ducati 800 ss,they are s\t bikes.
A full on 800cc sport bike that will take on a GSX-R 750.The F\X in the AMA are producing about 150 hp at the rear wheel with 600cc so 800 can do that easy!!! Street 600cc are producing 105 to 115,maybe the 800cc will put out 140 to 150hp,1000cc will put out 155 to 170 hp at the rear wheel. SO BRING ON THE 800 SPORT BIKE START THE SOP :tredmill

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bet we see more bikes near the 800cc mark soon. Liter (litre for you guys!) bikes are making a lot more power now than anyone needs on the road and the weight is close to where the 600's were a few years ago so there really isn't a big penalty there. 600's make plenty of power for fun on the street but a little more torque would make things less high strung.

Besides the major manufacturers couldn't afford to race if it wasn't adding to their sales numbers and they'd be missing something if they didn't capitalize on the marketing generated by MotoGP...an 800cc bike with GP styling. That would be enough to get me looking at bikes again.

They're racing to make more money on bike sales, I think 800cc streetbikes will do that for them. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Jason

·
Member #827
1,505 Posts
I would be far more interested if the bikes were 750's rather than 800's because like has been mentioned: where's the incentive in the insurance bracket? A MotoGP styled 750 I'd be all over. The GSXR750 is an incredible bike, here's hoping everyone else brings back that sized bike. However, with World Superbike changing from 750cc I4's to 1000cc I4's a few years ago it is doubtful manufacturers are going to dump tons of money into a 750 genre without anywhere to race it.....

Thus the death of the ZX7R, R7, Tornado 750, etc. Imagine Triumph's 675 bumped to a 750, or a 600RR/1000RR in a 750. They'd be aweeeeesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts