BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My '89 kawasaki kr-1 has been collecting dust in my garage for two years now. Just recently I caught wind of the sudden motivation to want to ride again. Thanks to a youtube vlogger named serpentza. He's a british guy from south africa who lives in China and rides a Honda CB400 (but he rides a shitty chinese bike in the earlier vids). Here is the video he made that really made me want to get back on my bike: http://youtu.be/2CtmyAcBhgA ... in that video he is documenting his bike adventure through Fujian Province in China.

Anyway, I stopped riding because my bike is not in the greatest shape. I am dedicating this summer to starting its restoration. I am wondering if there are other 2 stroker enthusiasts on this forum I can connect with? Anyone else out there who has experience restoring these kinds of bikes? I plan to do most of it myself as a hobby.

Cheers!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have (or my mom does, ask Bandito) a 500 Gamma that needs second gear and a stator. I will have to source them from the UK when I have a bunch of time and some extra cash. With the wife in university and an 848 in the garage, I see no immediate plans to revive the beast. But it will happen, one day.....

That's a grey market bike, isn't it? You will probably have to sell organs to buy parts, but boy will you have a smile on your face.

·
backslider
11,237 Posts
That's a nice bike to restore ... and welcome to the nuthouse!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its a grey market bike. I remember there is a vendor of grey market bikes in the lower mainland though.. does this ring a bell with anyone? He had a store front that used to be on the Sea to Sky then moved to North Van. I can't seem to remember the name of the store. wind bell or something ?

I know it's going to be tough to find parts, etc... but once its all done, i can only imagine the satisfaction. The acquiring of the parts and searching for it is part of the experience of a restoration i guess.

I mean, it still runs. But i would like it to be in showroom condition. That's the vision i have in my head. Darn thing is 23 years old! its time to give it some serious love so that it may last another 20+

Thanks for the replies and warm welcome !

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps i shall ask windbell and see what they can do for me in regards to restoring this thing. Anyone dealt with them before?

·
Registered
80 Posts
They were fine to deal with..I picked up a NC30 a bunch of years back from them. At the time there was an element of "ESL" to deal with but they were friendly and treated me well. I never went there for parts as I soon found out that the internet is your best friend for grey bike parts. I was able to get a lot of parts from the UK and Thailand with little to no hassle, and good prices too! Good luck and nice bike! I sure miss my grey bike :-(

·
Registered
547 Posts
That may have been Gary Goodfellow. AIR he was importing grey market and selling them. That was right about the time guys were buying up aircooled GS, CB etc and putting them in shipping containers and sending them to the UK. They were paying crazy prices because they could get tons more money in the UK. It was hard as hell to find decent price used bikes for a while. I don't know if Gary was shipping bikes to the UK, but he was certainly bringing them in. Not sure what happened to that venture.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Perhaps i shall ask windbell and see what they can do for me in regards to restoring this thing. Anyone dealt with them before?
I took my FZR 250 there few weeks back. They seem nice, the mechanic checked my charging system for free.

Btw, your bike looks sick. I am such a sucker for late 80's early 90's sport bike.

·
Registered
905 Posts
here is mine, had this for like 13 years now.
Its a 91 Suzuki rgv250
It only gets on the road maybe once a year for the past few years.

LS.jpg

·
Yep
1,692 Posts
Jealous! :thumbup Sweet rides

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
For uninformed people (like me), can you guys please explain what's this 2-stroke business it about?

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
I only ride my 2007 RS250R around twice a year now these days. Only track days. My favourite bike I have ever ridden. Hardest one as well.

IMG_20110918_153340.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
here is mine, had this for like 13 years now.
Its a 91 Suzuki rgv250
It only gets on the road maybe once a year for the past few years.

View attachment 97719
That is gorgeous!!! I can can hear the cackle of those pipes just looking at it!

To the guy who asked what a 2 stroke is, 2 strokes use crank case pressure and ports on the cylinder wall to get gas in and out of the combustion chamber usually through the crankcases via reed valves, but sometimes with rotary valves. Basically there's power every stroke of the crankshaft as opposed to a 4 stroke which takes 2 complete revolutions to intake/compression/power/exhaust. 2 strokes overlap intake/compression as the piston rises and power/exhaust on the down stroke. Super simply and light weight. Making a comeback in off road bikes due to 4 strokes being too bloody fragile when tasked with making lots of power, and they're a lot heavier.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts