BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 Honada cbr my problem is the bike gets no power i get power up to ignition but when key is turned nothing happens any help would be helpful.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
First question is how strong is your battery? When you put a meter on the battery and try and start what are the readings?

If you haven't done this, it's the first thing to do, IMO

·
lover of twins
6,135 Posts
brand new battery i get 12.6v from it
is that with the ignition off?

a brand new battery should show 13V or higher at the terminals with no load on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tested the wires that ran into ignition which gave me my power reading. the cover flew off it in rainstorm so it got soaked.

·
Registered
633 Posts
is that with the ignition off?

a brand new battery should show 13V or higher at the terminals with no load on it.
Not really. Each cell in a battery will reach a full charge at 2.1V, so x6 cells = 12.6V fully charged. Any voltage above that is a surface charge from coming right off a charger, and will dissipate within a day or so, and isn't actually usable voltage.

·
lover of twins
6,135 Posts
Not really. Each cell in a battery will reach a full charge at 2.1V, so x6 cells = 12.6V fully charged. Any voltage above that is a surface charge from coming right off a charger, and will dissipate within a day or so, and isn't actually usable voltage.
pfft - i read it on the internet so it must be true! ;)

thanks for that. i've had experiences in the past where a batt was showing just over 12V but didn't have enough juice to crank the bike over. that and when checking batteries after winter storage on the trickle charger i'd seen 13 or a bit more.

·
Registered
633 Posts
pfft - i read it on the internet so it must be true! ;)

thanks for that. i've had experiences in the past where a batt was showing just over 12V but didn't have enough juice to crank the bike over. that and when checking batteries after winter storage on the trickle charger i'd seen 13 or a bit more.
NP.
I'll add some confusion/clarification then. Just over 12V could be very low, and not able to crank (depending on what amps it is putting out/what is needed). 12.0V is considered 100% discharged, where 12.6 is 100% charged. That means that in terms of health, there is only a 0.6V variance between "dead" and perfect.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the cover came off and it got wet it's probably corroded. Test the power coming out of the ignition to see if it's even making connection would be step 1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts