1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slideways
2,937 Posts
Just spanking the pork bikes eh !!! hahaha

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thats deadly... That looks like a nice tight track, I'd love to hit up something like that some day...

Thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
The bike is good but it's that rider that's fast.

Great link to the video. I've added it to my list of stuff I've downloaded.

PDcrack, you been out to Boundry Bay with your SM yet? We got cones instead of grass but otherwise it's a great SM track to play and learn.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey TeeTee, I plan on coming out to BB as much as possible this year. I cant wait to start dipping the SM into some tight corners.

See ya out there...:cheers

PD... (pete)

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Great to hear. We can use another motard guy out there.

You'll love it. But do yourself a favour and get some axle sliders made up and install some bark busters to help protect the bike. Even with those you may scuffup some plastic like the rad shroud but the replacements are pretty darn cheap compared to sportbikes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, I've done the bark busters already and I plan on doing the axle sliders next time I've got some free time.

Do you recomend the DIY mod with skate wheels, or is it worth purchasing something like the the SME ones?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Skate wheels. It's easy and cheap.

I got the cheap wheels from Sportchek for something like $18 and thought I was getting ripped off. I suspect you can find cheaper but I was in a hurry.

3/8 threaded rod and nylock nuts and regular nuts from Home Despot or use 5/16 if your axles don't have large enough through holes, fender washers (the big ones with small holes) regular washers.

Start by figuring out the proper length for the rod and cut them off with a hacksaw. Dress the ends with a light touch on a grinder or with a file. Put the regular nut onto one end so the rod is just sticking out a little. Now use a ball peen hammer or a chisel and regular hammer to flatten and rivet over the exposed end. Congrats, you just made a bolt... :D Or if you're a cheater you could touch a welder to the end.... BUT WHERE"S THE FUN IN THAT!

Add a regular washer, skate wheel, fender washer and tape the snot out of the bolt near the wheel to act as a bushing to center the bolt in the side with the larger hole. Add a bushing of tape to the other end to match the smaller end. Congrats, you just produced some custom made spacers. Add another fender washer, skate wheel, regular washer and one of the nylock nuts. Tension to snug but not tight. Done.

The Home Despot part shouldn't cost more than about $10 total. Get a few extra nylocks so you can replace them when teh nylon isn't holding anymore.

·
Je ne suis pas Francais
3,398 Posts
All I have to say about thos 2 videos is "wow!!!"

·
Registered
161 Posts
One important practical piece of info about the single threaded piece axle sliders. When you crash and the wheels hit the ground, you will bend the threaded rod. And it will be a royal PIA to get the sliders off.

The way ktm axle sliderswork is that is has a single piece in the middle, and 2 bolts on either side that thread into the single bar. When you crash, the exterior bolt on the outside may bend. You simply unthread the opposite side, pull the whole unit out, replace the bent bolt.

Does that make sense?

·
1,768 Posts
Yep, makes sense.

If the single threaded piece (as per Bruce) bends, you could always just hack saw it off. Yes, more of a PITA, but probably still the cheapest option.

The bolts threaded into a middle piece sounds interesting, a Home Depot adventure is in order this weekend.

;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts