BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Bike was stolen.

Been told this is the best place to post about the great Shakespearean-level of sadness I now endure. The loss of a bike just really puts your whole life in perspective: the emptiness of life without a bike to ride, the impossibly long walks to previously "close" destinations, the excruciating hassle of public transpo, the mocking of an unused helmet when you come home every night, the pang of envy rather than camaraderie when you hear another bike cruise down the street.

It's tough.

So I'd be super appreciative if people could keep a lookout for my bike and the asshats who did the thieving.

My bike is a bright orange 2004 Triumph Speed Four. One mirror on the left side, a shitty peg on the left. This isn't a typical bike you see everyday so I'm hoping someone at least gets a glimpse of this bike hooliganing down the street somewhere.

Stolen off the street near Cambie and 6th.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,854 Posts
dat snork.

·
countdown to next crash..
2,658 Posts
that sucks man. I'll keep an eye out for it. Did you have it locked at all? disc lock or chain? alarm at all? Everytime I see one of these posts I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to make mine less vulnerable, but insurance seems to be the best option.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
You can always look at the positives... it's an opportunity to get a new bike... without the hassle of having to sell the old one.

·
padawan
1,942 Posts
That sucks - I'll definitely keep an eye out.

They used to hang horse thieves, bike thieves are the same ilk...

·
backslider
11,311 Posts
bin thru it b4 - can both empathize as well as sympathize w/you

good luck

·
Registered
334 Posts
That sucks. My DR200 had a disc lock and was wedged between a gs500 and wall behind a locked gate, on my patio. I know they had to have lifted it out since the gs500 wasn't moved and there where no scratches on the GS or drag marks on the ground. Now my gs500 has a disc lock on the front tire and thick cable lock on the rear tire. Now I am thinking I should get a heavier bike lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am guessing it wasn't insured?
Yeah. Guessed right. 10 days expired when the bike was stolen.

I stupidly let my insurance expire while I was recovering from a non-bike related leg injury. My thoughts were: I'm not riding so why do I need insurance? I'm almost good to ride again, I'll renew then.

God dammit. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've never gone through this and it's a situation I'm not really able to fix by doing something. All I can do is wait for the cops to call me back with any news and ask people if they've seen my bike. Frustrating.

Anyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Yeah. Guessed right. 10 days expired when the bike was stolen.

I stupidly let my insurance expire while I was recovering from a non-bike related leg injury. My thoughts were: I'm not riding so why do I need insurance? I'm almost good to ride again, I'll renew then.

God dammit. Lesson learned.
I could see your logic if your bike was stored in a locked garage at your house and you took your chances for a few days.

Very strange to come to the conclusion that leaving an uninsured bike on the street in downtown Vancouver is a good idea.

I do not comprehend that.

·
Super Moderator
23,557 Posts
I could see your logic if your bike was stored in a locked garage at your house and you took your chances for a few days.

Very strange to come to the conclusion that leaving an uninsured bike on the street in downtown Vancouver is a good idea.

I do not comprehend that.
If a vehicle is left on the street, I think by law you are required to have it insured, no?

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
It was probably towed to a lot if it was left uninsured on the street, let's assume you phoned the police to confirm it was not just towed away.

Good luck.

·
570 Posts
Yup. Even with storage insurance it must be on private property.
Correct! It must have valid plates to be parked on the street. If it's on private property then it's fine.

This is another reason to get a Beacon policy. Plate the bike for when you're riding it, but the annual coverage through Beacon covers it for own damage all year.

Now you know for next time!

Sorry to hear about your loss!

·
'Busa girls, God love 'em
5,842 Posts
Cheers to beacon, it's a crime to not have theft insurance all the time. It's always covered even when your 6 month ICBC plate expires. Worry free and they tell you what your bike payout will be at time of insuring. No frustration or dickering if you take a flight into the rhubarb or someone steals it.

Reasonable price too, my Hayabusa is 39.00 a month

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts
bike like that won't be hard to spot...... but unless you are ok with losing it INSURE IT!!! i know it's too late now but for the future: the peace of mind is worth the few $$$ especially when you have to leave it on the street. hope you'll get it back quick and in same shape.

·
Ridin Dirty
5,011 Posts
call the impound lots.... cops are not in any hurry to do so for you.... if it was "unplated/expired tag" you may just find it was towed.... and costing you by the day while you are on here

1 - 20 of 25 Posts