BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day two of the BMW Grandeur Ride and I got hit by a deer. I creamed the deer but saved (somehow, thank my lucky stars), didn't manage to drop the bike.

My bike's crunked, still. The deer took out most of my cooling system. I might be stranded in Idaho for a few days (or maybe longer) as I try to get the bike roadworthy again.

All I say is thank God I didn't drop it, thank God we've got a support truck on our ride (thanks Sonja!) and thank God I've got two BMW motorcycle dealership owners with me on this ride to help make some calls to get me on the road again.

If there's one thing I've learned this summer from 1 close call with hitting a deer last month, and hitting a deer (or rather the deer hitting me) today, is that wildlife really is the most unpredictable part of riding motorcycles, almost more than crazy drivers.

For a more detailed description of my incident, you can check it out on my blog on Tattoodles... http://www.tattoodles.com/community/members/AdamSky/

·
Ride the winds of change
1,994 Posts
Good too hear you got out of it unscathed Adam. Makes for a good story now.

Deers are my greatest fear when riding.

Adam why didn't you just put the bike in the chase vehicle/trailer and come home.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
+1

Glad you're okay. Big Time. :thumbup

Adam, ya know, if you were destined to hit a deer, you couldn't possibly have set up better circumstances: chase vehicle nearby, friends & mechanics & BMW peeps at your side... and now time to stop in Idaho, which I'm told everyone otta do at least once in their lives. ;)

My 2kms: Keep on ridin'... get rollin' once your bike's able and take care of the fugliness when you get back. And hey, I'm sure Ray won't mind spending a lil quality time with ya in Idaho while you wait for parts. :D

:drinkbeer

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys. really, i couldn't have asked for better circumstances all things considered. if it was any better, Rusty woulda been riding pillion with a water pump in one hand and a rad hose in the other.

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
thanks guys. really, i couldn't have asked for better circumstances all things considered. if it was any better, Rusty woulda been riding pillion with a water pump in one hand and a rad hose in the other.
As someone that's hit 7 deer in their lifetime, I can't believe people survive this on bikes.

Glad to see you're okay and hope you get another bike so we can ride again soon!

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Yikes Adam, glad it wasn't worse.

I ripped through White Pass in Wash St. at night a couple of weeks ago and I was sooooo aware of any shadows/reflections/movement I could see - tattooing a deer (sorry, I couldn't resist) on a bike is one of my biggest fears when riding, especially at night.

Hey, Idaho ain't that bad... rent a mountain bike for a day or two a go exploring.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
fuck the bike, thank the almighty 3 times a day for the next week ...
glad to hear you are ok

boy do you ever have a story for the grandkids.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How often does this happen????

Wow I'm glad you're OK. I can definitely relate to this story.

Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me on July 28th about 5kms outside of Princeton this summer. Only difference was that mine was a buck and I hit it dead on, T-boned it, it was big enough that my wheel went under it and my windscreen/front fairing took the brunt of it. I'm not trying to hi-jack the thread but I was yelling the same thing "[email protected]#*-YOU!!" as loud as I could and braced myself for it, didn't lay it down, kept going, but had to stop as my bike was way too messed up to keep riding.

Do deer whistles work? What can we as riders do? I too am really freaked out about highway riding now because these stupid animals are like heat seeking missiles. You swerve, and they just come at you.

Who else has smoked a deer? I'm trying to guage how common this is.

·
Faster than u!
96 Posts
Dude, you are one lucky man.
I was riding up in idaho a couple weeks this summer (vacationing with the gf's dad up there), and i didnt see a single deer the whole time i was up.
Was this at nite??
Glad to hear your ok, and the bike will be too.

·
I am the liquor
798 Posts
If there's one thing I've learned this summer from 1 close call with hitting a deer last month, and hitting a deer (or rather the deer hitting me) today, is that wildlife really is the most unpredictable part of riding motorcycles, almost more than crazy drivers.
Glad you're ok dude! I agree.

Today on the Duffy Lake Loop I came across a deer, a bunch of cows, and some kind of mountain goats on the road, all requiring evasive action. The goats decided to wander to the side of the road and then run out in front of me at the last second. Luckily I had slowed down enough to avoid them.

Crazy critters with a deathwish!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.