BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Bought an '03 GSXR-750 a few weeks ago - figure some sliders might be cheap insurance for the new rocket.

Anyway, been doing some research - narrowed it down to these 3 brands so far:

Shogun (haven't been able to find their website)
Motovation (http://www.motovationusa.com)
R&G Racing (http://www.rg-racing.com)

Anyone have recommendations for one brand over the other (or anything else to add to the list)? I'm on the island, but do come to Vancouver every few weeks. Does anyone know if any of the local guys carry these brands (or a comperable product)?

Planning on a set of frame and swingarm sliders at the very least - are fork sliders worth it too?

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
There all comparable , go in the same location and are either aluminum or some plastic. Non of them are any stronger than the other. They work great for tip overs and might save a little damage in a crash.

I've seen every brand break and wear down nicely protecting the bike. It all depends on how the bike was dropped.

·
Got Crazy?
810 Posts
I've had shogun on my bike, they work pretty good. Just make sure you get High density delrin plastic.... that seems to be the best material. Ebay always has some great deals.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
I haven't had to use my sliders on my current bike [ :bowdown ]. But just in case you weren't aware: the sliders' #1 objective is to protect your frame, not your plastics. Be sure to mount them with this in mind. It would suck to have shiny plastics covering an otherwise twisted bike... ;)

Just my 2kms...
:drinkbeer

·
Registered
46 Posts
Vortex are another one...that was the recommendation I got the most. A lot more expensive, but the slider pucks are replaceable (and about half the price of a new set of any of those sliders if you go down). I just bought a pair for my 954. Black delrin...very slick looking. My .02 cents.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Champ,All the way!Mounts in 2 spots,So it distributes the force from a crash to 2 places rather then just one like most sliders.And they are a no cut.

·
back on the street
1,832 Posts
+1 for the vortex, I just installed them on my race bike, haven't had chance to test them yet....but it will happen....I have lowside.ca frame sliders on my streetbike, they held up good in a minor lowside my first season, but I haven't heard anything about them in a while. Both have replaceable slider pucks, and any shop should be able to get you whatever brand you choose.

·
Whach u talkn bout Willis
1,646 Posts
all i have to say is dont go cheap, the ones that were on my bike (not bought by me) disapeared after my crash and did about jack shit. I honestly could not find them after 15 minutes of searching..... WAIT they did do something they broke the bolt off in the hole so now i have to get it take out and or retapped :S

R

·
0 Posts
only advice i would offer is DON'T use "no cut" sliders. thats just my thoughts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies guys - yeah, agreed, the 'no cuts' all seem pretty worthless...

I'm going to have to take a notch out of my left fairing to install 'em. Any advice on tools? I've heard dremels are pretty good... would this just be with a cutting wheel?

I also have a Dewalt cutout tool (sort of like a super strong drill, but the bit's designed to chew sideways) - would this be a better option than the wheel?

Going to see what the local Victoria shops have this weekend, but bang-for-buck the Motovation stuff's looking pretty good at this point.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Red the Dog said:
only advice i would offer is DON'T use "no cut" sliders. thats just my thoughts.
And what are you basing your advice on?I have no cuts on mine,And really can't see why you think they are worthless.They actually mount in the same place as the cut ones i could of purchased for my bike plus,Mount in one additional spot.On the Zx10r site these sliders have been proven to be as good or better than the cut ones in racetrack crashes.

R

·
0 Posts
i don't think i said the word worthless anywhere in my post. it is an opinion, and a personal prefrence, after having used both kinds, i've had more damage after using "no cut" sliders. as for friends that have them I have seen some nasty damage from using no cut sliders. I am not saying they are worthless or garbage or anything like that. as for being mounted in the same place, yes and no, depending on the bike and the type of slider, some use spacers to avoid cutting ur plastics, in which case IN MY OPINION they will probably not hold up as well.

at anyrate, that was just my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts