·
Banned
326 Posts
damn how can a drz not be fun
my last toy bike was a ktm 530
total pos right from day one and a never ending money pit
just riding it out of the dealer i had to spend an extra $1000 on it

big power but the drz i think is just as much fun
it might not be the torque monster the ktm was but you learn new techniques to manipulate a less powerfull bike to be fun
i dont miss the endless expensive maintenance of the ktm

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
Whoops! Nik (this guy^^^) would know ... OP, he's one the best Ape/Italian bike mechanics around. If you get an sxv, talk to him first ...

It's not Axone it is Navigator new Diagnostic tool from Piaggio Group. I have one with all up to date maps for all Aprilia models also work on Moto Guzzi as well

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
Kind of surprised no one has mentioned a honda XR650R. Quite reliable as it was designed from the get-go to be ridden at WOT across a friggen desert. 70 hp with a few mods. There is a $500 CNC machined triple tree available online for $500 that will allow you to bolt on CRF 450 USD forks ....... and that's just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Muchos Gracias T-Rex. Yet another story of the earlier model SXV's with costly problems. I spoke w Valley Yam today about their new 07 5.5, comes w a 1 year warranty but it still scares me because it's an 07! Are there any stories or owners of 08 and up bikes? All across the country the most of the SXV's for sale are 07, and for good reason, nobody wants them perhaps due to their issues. I'm hoping aprilia fixed the bugs on these things. They sound like amazing bikes to own....when they are running!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I also love how everyone says the DRZ is slow, meanwhile Chad Hockley comes over from the island to race and ends up on the podium miles ahead of pure bred 450 SM bikes, with a rat bagged out bone stock DRZ.

How's that?? Hmmmm....yeah. Chad is a stud, that's why. If you need hp to be fast, well...maybe bikes aren't for you.

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
Their bike is waay overpriced, IMHO. $6500? You can pick one up for around 4-5G in the states ...
The year of the bike isn't the real issue - it's the year of the engine. Like it's been said, check the VIN of the engine, and you can tell what year it is, and if it has the proper sealant (ie: black, not orange). SXV 550 engines #06837 and up have Type III cases that were used from early 2008 to present. Those are the ones you want ...

Muchos Gracias T-Rex. Yet another story of the earlier model SXV's with costly problems. I spoke w Valley Yam today about their new 07 5.5, comes w a 1 year warranty but it still scares me because it's an 07! Are there any stories or owners of 08 and up bikes? All across the country the most of the SXV's for sale are 07, and for good reason, nobody wants them perhaps due to their issues. I'm hoping aprilia fixed the bugs on these things. They sound like amazing bikes to own....when they are running!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, definitely look in the states! Agree with Rex ^^^

Remember, mine is an 07 with an 08 motor! An easy way to check if it's most likely an 08 motor is if the cold start button is on the handlebar or the airbox. If it's a pull-out on the airbox then MOST LIKELY it's an 08 motor. Sometimes Aprilia just swapped in an 08 updated engine instead of fixing the 07 lump.

Have you checked out http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?50-2006-2009-Aprilia-RXV-SXV-MXV-4-5-5-5-V-Twins yet? This will have a ton of info.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hey PW you know for a SXV with a blown engine and good papers? I got a plan! I love the bike as a whole but I am used to not taking care of my stuff and that engine won't last me. I will install a more reliable lump to take advantage of that superb chassis.
As for the OP I think you should look at the SMC the last of them that were sold here in Canada are the ultimate street tard. That LC4 is low maintenance, the bike has a radial mount brembo front brake, exotic trellis frame, slipper clutch and tubeless wheels. I would love to sell my 04 SMC and buy one someday.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Hey PW you know for a SXV with a blown engine and good papers? I got a plan! I love the bike as a whole but I am used to not taking care of my stuff and that engine won't last me. I will install a more reliable lump to take advantage of that superb chassis.
As for the OP I think you should look at the SMC the last of them that were sold here in Canada are the ultimate street tard. That LC4 is low maintenance, the bike has a radial mount brembo front brake, exotic trellis frame, slipper clutch and tubeless wheels. I would love to sell my 04 SMC and buy one someday.

Yup, call the shop and ask for the sales guys or the GM Andy White. 250 382 8291

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
for the street I wish I still had my 06 XR 650 R with the BAJA kit and Supermoto wheels!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Anyone in BC with an 08 or newer SXV? I would love to hear your experiences....

At the present time I'm have narrowed down the options to the following:

2008, 2011 Aprilia SXV 550
2010 Husky SMR 510
2011 Husky SMR 511

^What are the opinions/experiences out there on these machines? I understand they are all good performers, what about reliability?

*I can't find any KTM SMC bikes in BC/WA presently

·
Sedate hooligan
1,876 Posts
We're looking for the same kind of bike, it seems ... I'm still looking for a replacement for my SXV, and the one I had a line on - A berg fs650 - got bought, gawddamit!
Anyways, from what I have gleaned about the Huskys, is not a lot of people like the new BMW engines. The 08-10 510s seem to be the most popular. All the bikes you have listed are basically race bikes, which means high maintenance. Lots of oil changes, valve checks, etc.
The best source for sumo information is here: supermotojunkie.com. They have manufacturer's sections, so you can get great info from people riding individual brands ..

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also love how everyone says the DRZ is slow, meanwhile Chad Hockley comes over from the island to race and ends up on the podium miles ahead of pure bred 450 SM bikes, with a rat bagged out bone stock DRZ.

How's that?? Hmmmm....yeah. Chad is a stud, that's why. If you need hp to be fast, well...maybe bikes aren't for you.
A DRZ is slow. If the rider is amazing then there there's the difference. If he was on a race 450 then I'm sure he'd be winning by miles too.

·
Tarded
810 Posts
He also placed 5th against the 250's PeeWee is just trying to make a point.

The rider is a big part of the equation and if I remember all of the guys from the island were great competitors and nice guys.

·
Tarded
810 Posts
Just re read that post and didn't want the 250 thing to be a dig , for those that come to Tradex and race you would know we have some really really fast guys on 250's.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh I agree with the point he was trying to make, it's been proved tons of times from grassroots to MotoGP. Rossi moving to Yamaha and winning everything, Freddie Spencer winning 500cc races with a 250cc with 20bhp less. The rider is what makes the difference. The dig at the end about "need power to be fast, maybe bikes aren't for you" on a sportbike website made me laugh.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts