BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if it is possible to get and install an aftermarket abs brake system on a bike? I'm looking to get a new bike in a year or so and I definately want it to have abs so if the bike I want doesn't come with it or isn't availably from the manufacturer, is it possoble to install one after the fact?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually I was thinking about the gsr600 when it gets here or to put it on a cb599. After having aleady gone down in doubious conditions due to loss of traction, the extra piece of mind would be a nice thing. And yes I do tend to ride almost all year (not in the snow)

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
It is possible.....and if you undertake it yourself, it will cost you mainly time.
Assuming that you are very technically inclined, understand intricately how abs works and can set up a logic gate controller (or something similar) manually, write the software required, it will be a challenge.

Now lets say you owned a +2002 VFR without ABS, it shouldnt be too hard in theory to retrofit an ABS to that bike, sans a few grand in parts.

Assuming you dont fit either of the above description, youd better have a LOT of money to get ABS on a bike that is not designed for it. Even retrofitting cars etc. is a hit and miss as many people dont understand the complexity of the system ( I dont).

One day sportbikes will come with ABS, I am waiting impatiently.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya, relevations! I would love the bmw f800s but am holding my breath for the expected sticker shock. The vfr...I'm more of a naked man and like the upright seating position.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
CBum650 said:
I hear ya, relevations! I would love the bmw f800s but am holding my breath for the expected sticker shock. The vfr...I'm more of a naked man and like the upright seating position.
You can get ABS on the 06 Suzuki Bandits. And it's not an expensive option.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
GSP said:
You can get ABS on the 06 Suzuki Bandits. And it's not an expensive option.
That would be your best bet if this is so important.

In theory it is possible to do pretty much anything mechanical with enough money, time and ingenuity. But in practice adding ABS to a bike that does not have it would pretty much be finacially and practically impossible.

First you would have to score a complete ABS system through ebay or elsewhere from a bike that has ABS but otherwise shares very little in common with your chosen steed. This would involve the calipers, rotors with sensor rings, pickups, controller and other oddball parts, lines, master cylinder and probably more bits and pieces. Then you would need to figure out how to mount this incompatible stuff to your forks, frame and wheels. Most likely it would mean that you would need to either greatly modify the parts or the bike to get them to be friendly with each other. This would involve mucho welding and/or more parts from ebay and a copious amount of innovative swearing.

Just buy a bike that comes stock with ABS......

S

·
0 Posts
i know a guy that fitted a set of aftermarket abs once. it was for halloween though and they also came with aftermarket pecs and a hulkamaniac bandana.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts