BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seem to be having pretty bad couple of days, my ability to piss people off and run into trouble seems to have no boundries.

Before I got to BK today I already had 1 embarrassing moment at anoher dealership, go to BK, they were busy as hell....well anyway I ut on that leather Vanson that i have had my eye on for the past year and ask Trevor if I can go for a small spin to see how it feels on the bike. So off I go take the canada way exit onto the highway and then take the galardi exit and turn back....I get pulled over for a routing check on the canada way exit....lucky me in all my excitement with wearing the leathers I forget to take my licence with me, then 2 other bikers get pulled over - they were in even more shit, they were on learners.....so long story short I got a $58 ticket, no matter how much I pleaded....still I got back to BK, changed right there in the store and went to the Burnaby Lake RCMP office to show my licence, hoping I could get off....but ooop sorry that officer's detachment is the one near SFU, so off I go....the lady there takes a photocopy of my licence, let's see if he lets me go.....

then as I get home, this huge guy in a pickup pulls up in the driver, comes out swearing and threatening at me, I am thinking, did I cut someone off ? what the heck is his problem.....well apparently he thought I was driving too fact near my house....I didn't want to yak about the fact that my loud exhaust makes it seem like I am going fast....anyway he swears away and threatens to beat me up and tear the bike apart.....I just keep looking him in the eye, when he's done all I say is, you could have said that without swearing and that if you have a problem with me please go see the authorities....he just walks away swearing, I follow him, get the licence plate number, 5445 FG, and he had some sticker on for www.lazysteakhouse.com or something like that.....I am just glad to be home.....

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Pretty full day there Farhad...hope the ticket works out for ya. Sorry to hear about how shitty your day is going.

BTW: I could be wrong, you could break 1k today:D .

atom

D

·
0 Posts
thats what carbon fiber gloves are for. see how well he yells with a face full of knuckle.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doug said:
thats what carbon fiber gloves are for. see how well he yells with a face full of knuckle.

no I never hit first, once hit, even the almighty won't be able to help him, I tend to be like an on/off switch, power is either off or 110% on.....always worried about that, I tend to loose control once struck....a lot of arab kids found that out the wrong way....and ya I have taken my share of beatings, especially when they come like a pack of desert foxes....

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Human said:

no I never hit first, once hit, even the almighty won't be able to help him, I tend to be like an on/off switch, power is either off or 110% on.....always worried about that, I tend to loose control once struck....a lot of arab kids found that out the wrong way....and ya I have taken my share of beatings, especially when they come like a pack of desert foxes....
Kind of like the way you ride....throttle all the way to the stops:D

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hu99 said:

Kind of like the way you ride....throttle all the way to the stops:D

lol, that little lowside has got me thinking, I need to practice more on stopping faster if I am going to go that speed.....peoper lever on the front and the rear is fine but I am having difficutly going down the gears at the same time, do you let go of the rear when downshifting ? I am always worried about downshifting too fast and having the rear spin out and highside me....Lloyd what do you do ? maybe I should post this as a separate thread....

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I am not sure what the proper way is (BCSC course was taken a few years ago) but when I am stopping in a hurry I downshift without taking my foot off the brake, it seems to work better for me. :)

F

·
0 Posts
Re: Stopping

Human, if you are just trying to get slowed in one hell of a hurry, don't worry about downshifting, pull in the clutch and smoothly pull in as much front brake as you can. Also, don't worry about the rear brake unless you want to make the rear slide out to help initiate a turn. If you want to ride fast, the only way to learn, to downshift smoothly while hard on the brakes is practice, practice, practice. I've been riding for 13 years now (with 5 years on dirt before that) and I'm still trying to learn how run through the gears while hard on the brakes.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I'm with Flag on this. If you REALLY need to just stop or slow down a lot as a matter of survival then screw the gears. Pull in the clutch and smoothly apply the front brake so as to avoid shocking the tire to hard and just slow down. If you don't crack up THEN it's time to downshift.

You really don't need the downshifting and engine braking causing the ever so lightly loaded rear end to start hopping around. The chatter will just upset you and cause you to think the front is locking and then you start releasing the pressure and can't stop as quickly.

Just watch out for the back end coming up. If it does you need to ease off the brakes QUICK before it turns into a forward flip. Ease off part of the front grip to let the back end come down and then go back to pulling harder but not "quite" so hard.

A buddy of mine had to stop in a hurry on his 9R and he still rear ended the truck he was trying to avoid. He almost flipped forward into the box from the accidental stoppie at the last second but the collision with the truck's bumper stopped him and he fell over to the side onto his leg thus saving the side fairing. And the total damage was a crack to the front fairing........ Right beside his little third eye.... The truck was a low bed import pickup. You can guess the angle of the stoppie....

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Human said:

lol, that little lowside has got me thinking, I need to practice more on stopping faster if I am going to go that speed.....peoper lever on the front and the rear is fine but I am having difficutly going down the gears at the same time, do you let go of the rear when downshifting ? I am always worried about downshifting too fast and having the rear spin out and highside me....Lloyd what do you do ? maybe I should post this as a separate thread....
Umm.. why you using the rear brake? If your still fresh to the idea, I'd lay off it, you probably don't need it at all for the speeds your doing. It may get you in more trouble than it's worth..

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
adamantium said:

Umm.. why you using the rear brake? If your still fresh to the idea, I'd lay off it, you probably don't need it at all for the speeds your doing. It may get you in more trouble than it's worth..

I don't use the rear brake in regular riding or when it's raining, but have noticed that in an emergency you will pretty much always stop more quickly if you apply a little pressure not much and just hold it onthe rear while you squeeze the front.....just addin in the dimension of downshifting to use engine brake, I wanted to know the effect it would have or the combination needed. like Rbrake-shift down - Rbrake but that most likely will jsut add to the bike moving around....

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
If I'm breaking really hard, I'll just keep the right brake locked down and shift down and take the engine breaking that I can get, while never letting off the thorttle, and blipping it to make sure I match the engine speed with road speed for the gear..

It's a tough technique that I'm still trying to get used to.. but this is how I was taught to stop fast.

S

·
0 Posts
LOL, Farhad i just think it was cool how u handled that dude in the truck. That was sweet. I bet he felt pretty dumb after seeng that u didnt let him get to you.

:p :D :p :D

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ah well thanks Squid, I work in a hotel at night on the weekends.....get lots of those types of people.....and well my shitty week continues....check out my NEW title under my name....

·
Wear proper gear pls ;)
1,822 Posts
Whoa you guys are confusing me... I think maybe I need to practice some breaking a high speed??? I really haven't had to do this over 100 km/hr before, as I have always used the swerve and avoid method. Heh, I guess if the space isn't available for that, I'll be screwed. Ick. :eek

1 - 18 of 18 Posts