BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the guys at RMS today offered me $900 out the door (Taxes in) for an Akrapovic TI slip-on for my bike...

List in his book is $899 (which I think all the shops try to flog it at)...

Whatdya guys think?

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
Who did you talk too? i have a few friends there

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
If you really have to have Akrapovic then I suppose it's a decent deal. My whole Yosh SYSTEM only cost me $1G. But then that was a good deal on a discontinued model.......

When I was doing some checking around I found that I could mail order a whole system out of the US for about what I paid for mine. Even with our crappy dollar. Just hit the big name discount mail order places and have it drop shipped to one of the mailbox outlets in Blain or Point Roberts to avoid the brokerage fees.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Those akro pipes are sweet but you can get a hindle full system for a bit more. Look into a full system and you better jet that R6 are it will have less torque than a blender in the lower revs:D I seen a r6 in the buysell that has a akrapovic slip-on maybe you should call and ask if they will sell the pipe seprately

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manny, thanks for info, I'll give that shot (buy&sell)

As for jetting:

Here's what Steve Dick (former Canadian AMA racer) who currently races an R6 with a Full Akrapovic EVO exhaust says, "Don't bother getting a jet-kit, they're for people who don't know how to tune a bike. The nozzles on your bike are fine, just have them shimmed and have the bike tuned by someone who knows what they're doing, and you'll be screamin'".

Sounds good to me. :D

Tuning aint' cheap.

Anyone know how to do this? :p

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I think you could do better online. Do a little checking and I think you will find that even with the crappy exchange, you still come out ahead.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have also been thinking about Arrow as well, more for uniqueness than anything.

I also just got off the phone with Ivan from Ivan's Needles fame. He says that if I go with an Akra slip-on on my bike and his needle kit that I will easily gain 5hp (not to mention lose a few pounds as the Akra exhaust is much lighter), and that the bike will ride like an all new bike, it won't feel the same at all. Many have told me the same thing. So either he has lots of people out there getting some kick backs; he's good at impersenating a lot of people all over the world OR he's got a good solid product going. Problem? $200USD for the kit, plus he said someone who knows what they're doing would take about 5 hours to put it in (that's $72/hrx5=$360 cdn) ... so basically a $500 jet kit for the sweetest set up R6 you've ever seen.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
absolutdm said:
Manny, thanks for info, I'll give that shot (buy&sell)

As for jetting:

Here's what Steve Dick (former Canadian AMA racer) who currently races an R6 with a Full Akrapovic EVO exhaust says, "Don't bother getting a jet-kit, they're for people who don't know how to tune a bike. The nozzles on your bike are fine, just have them shimmed and have the bike tuned by someone who knows what they're doing, and you'll be screamin'".

Sounds good to me. :D

Tuning aint' cheap.

Anyone know how to do this? :p
If you did want to try this before you pop for the Ivan's needles see if you can find out some info about what size new main jet to get and how much to shim the stock needles. Otherwise we would be shooting in the dark. Oh and sometimes the float level needs a slight tweak.

After that bring the bike over and we can pull all the stuff and do them. I'll get you to do most of the bull work while I work on my F2 but at least you'd have me there to say things like "Oh, oh, I wouldn't have done that if I was you" and " Wow, that really was soft......... I can't believe how easy it broke" and other helpful side notes. No, no. Don't thank me. Gotta do my bit to help the bro's :D

It's not really hard work but it's tedious. Well, it's not hard once you've done it once.

And are you sure Ivan's said you can get that much with just a slip on? Seems kind of high to me. I'd believe it with a full system.

Once you've seen it done once it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
"Don't bother getting a jet-kit, they're for people who don't know how to tune a bike. The nozzles on your bike are fine, just have them shimmed and have the bike tuned by someone who knows what they're doing, and you'll be screamin'".
That is so true. You know the guy that is gonna Dyno all our bikes. The MAS guy, well he is gonna tune my bike on the dyno and said that at the end I should have between 103 and 105 horsepower. He said that the tuning is gonna cost 100 bucks an hour and should take a little under 2 hours to do. So roughly 200 bucks. Not bad I think. Adam if you can get that Akra slip on out of the Buy&Sell then just Take it to Mike at MAS and have him tune it. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts