BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so another one of the brothers got his bike lifted from the underground parkade in our building on the weekend. That makes 2 sportbikes gone in 3 months. They tried to get the KTM a few stalls down but failed. I'm thinking of getting an alarm with a remote for my Gixxer 600. Any thoughts anyone? What's good what's bad and who to go to would be a big help.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
its expensive but it's the best thing I found so far.

Entourage gps

about $15 per month, that's less than $200/year for theft recovery / tracking

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
If you can hear an alarm from where you live I got a cheap but works good remote alarm off ebay for $5.00. I am putting it in my trailer. It has motion and tip sensor and even ignition cut off. Cant go wrong! Just type in motorcycle alarm. 2 kinds I got both, the one to wire in the bikes 12 volt system and one with a 9 volt battery.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's more of a deterrent really.
I had a crappy Gorilla two way alarm, but I lost the remote.
The range on the unit was absolute crap, and it wouldn't even work for a normal size house and driveway.
I'm still using it, but no two way remote, just with the crappy dumb remote.

I forgot the other "good" brand - scorpion?, but I'm not sure you'll fare that much better.

Since it sounds like you're in a condo, the alarm probably won't do much for you.
A two way won't reach you AND those alarms won't do much considering how fast it is to throw one into a mini van.
I also used to have a GPS snitch but it was annoying to constantly recharge it every few days... however if you're in a high theft area it might be worth it...

The Gorilla isn't bad considering the price for the alarm, like $50 or something right (not the two way version)?
I wouldn't bother with the expensive $300 two way alarm systems. The cheaper one basically does the same thing.
The GPS tracking cost $200 + another $200 for service per year.
So far I've spent like $900 on security? Alarm + GPS Snitch + 2 years of service + 2 huge onguard chains... I sold the snitch for $100.
I don't think all the money I spent was worth it, it's just a bike it can be replaced, no sense in worrying about it all the time.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Is it possible to keep an extremely heavy chain down there and use a very large weiser lock?
Okay so another one of the brothers got his bike lifted from the underground parkade in our building on the weekend. That makes 2 sportbikes gone in 3 months. They tried to get the KTM a few stalls down but failed. I'm thinking of getting an alarm with a remote for my Gixxer 600. Any thoughts anyone? What's good what's bad and who to go to would be a big help.

Thanks

·
Registered
891 Posts

Thanks
Alarms are just a deterrent. Do you think these guys are pro? If you do, then they'll find a way around the alarm.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i like my gorrila with pager system. it tells me when it warns someone and it tells me when a full on alarm is sounding. I got it for travelling. I got a warning the first night everywhere I went, put a light on it from my room (parked where I could see it) and never had hits the rest of the nights there. Coincidence, sure. I dunno. But piece of mind is why i got it.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I've always had theft insurance so I really don't care if someone steals my bike. I'll just go shopping for a new one! Woo hoo!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Is it possible to keep an extremely heavy chain down there and use a very large weiser lock?
Oh please! Weiser locks are shit! Don't send people looking for that crap.

·
Registered
922 Posts

3 keys, 4 steps that have to be in a certain sequence. Combine with a good chain, and theft insurance! :imwithstu

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
That's got to be the most rediculous thing I have seen in a long time. Let me guess. Made in India. Security doesn't have to be complicated like that. Also, that shackle is completely exposed. 15 seconds and its mine.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Ive only seen it in pictures, but something tells me it looks much stronger than it is... LOL
Anything can be opened if you are going to cut/break the shackle.

·
'Busa girls, God love 'em
5,842 Posts
Had my bike for 2 years in a whalley Surrey underground. I have only used a Scorpio 600 series. Pager alarm and perimeter sensor. The perimeter is the key. It starts sending a warning chirp 6' radius or can be increase if in a garage to protect everything.

The pager reached from my cement parkade to my 3rd floor suite. Amazing coverage. It's a great a alarm when your out and about IE road trip motel room etc.

I also had a save from a truck backing out of a parking spot, didn't see my bike behind him but heard the loud alarm and hit the breaks before he got near it.

I have total peace of mind and worth every penny, remember you get what you pay for and your bikes a big investment for most people.

www.scorpioalarms.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts