BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of Alpinestars SP-2 that were involved in a crash. The carbon fibre on the left hand got indented on 2/4 of the knuckles. And the stitching seemed to have torn at the webbing between 2 fingers. Do you think I should just get new gloves? Or can you get them re-stitched at a leather shop, and are the carbon fibre knuckles that big of a deal?

Thanks, tell me if you need more information.

Mig

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Workin on pics, but I only have camera phone, need my friends USB cable. I don't even know if I "slid" more of a roll. Maybe between 2 and 5 feet? I know gloves aren't much. But with a potential helmet replacement, and all the bike costs. Every penny helps.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Dude, 5th gear, i love their gloves, light and good protection plus super price ... i am not sure exactly how much i paid, but i do know it did not hurt my wallet all that bad...

If you buy other stuff from there I am sure they will take care of you like they did of me. Unless you are a prick (joke) :)

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, those are two posts now that were of no use to me. I am looking for some actual posts from people who may have some leather knowledge, or has had some stitch work done. I do have 5th Gear gloves. But I would like something with maybe a little more protection. And I am letting my brother use my 5th Gear gloves at the moment. So, does anyone know anything about gloves and stitching?

Thanks,
Mig

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vili said:
sorry :evilgrin
Hah, naw mang. I really don't mean to be an ass at the moment. I am just looking for someone who might know a little bit about the issue, ya know? And just out of curiousity. How do you know the 5th Gear gloves give good protection? Crashed in them?

Mig

·
8=(,,,)==D
458 Posts
If its just a seem, stitch it up. I went down 5 times with the sp2's and they held up without one single hole yet.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
nah man I dont take things personally, I was raised with two sisters bitching at me 80% of time about 20% of the things i have done.

I have not crashed ... yet ... i just took my bike in today to get frame sliders so i can minimize the damage ... yes i am a goof, i am at least bound to lay it down by forgeting to put the stand down :)

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
sucks your gloves got torn, I'd just rock out some new gloves! don't have to spend a tonne to have something decent...

(is this better?)

·
Hangin' with my gnomies
151 Posts
Have a look at the area where the stitches let go. If the thread broke and the leather didn't tear then it's an easy fix, if the leather's torn then you can still have it fixed but the glove may not fit or flex properly afterwards. As for the knuckles they won't perform as well in the next crash but any protection is better than none.

I've stitched up leathers when a seam let go. I bought heavy thread and a large needle at a fabric store and just retraced the original path of the factory stitches. A few creative knots joined my work to the factory thread and all was good.

Hope this was usefull.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
Easy to fix them. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Those are kinda crappy gloves to begin with. I have a set. They have a pile of feel but are way down on quality compared to other gloves I've used. . I'd go for something else or maybe fix them as a backup unless money is tight.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gixxstar said:
Easy to fix them. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. Those are kinda crappy gloves to begin with. I have a set. They have a pile of feel but are way down on quality compared to other gloves I've used. . I'd go for something else or maybe fix them as a backup unless money is tight.
What are a good glove in your opinion then, since you have a set and can make a comparison? I mean, they did they're job here. But... I was thinking if they tore from what little happened, forget it. Yea, money is tight, but what's the cost of safety. Can you direct me to some good gloves then?

Mig

·
Registered
61 Posts
You seem to be a big fan of the kryptons. I can pick up a pair down here for $125 usd but I tried them on and I'm not really sold on them. What makes them so great?

Thanks, Jason

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
For off the shelf gloves I've had good experience with middle range Teknic and Joe Rocket. They're reasonably cheap and they're everywhere. I've crashed a few sets and they held up really well. Held has been promoting pretty heavily with sponsored racers lately. I haven't used them but less partial reviews have been good. I think I'd try these from Vanson if I was in the market for another set now.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Jason4 said:
You seem to be a big fan of the kryptons. I can pick up a pair down here for $125 usd but I tried them on and I'm not really sold on them. What makes them so great?

Thanks, Jason
find some glove reviews online... the Held stuff always does really well.

look at newenough.com and their description:

About Held Gloves: Held gloves are considered by many to be the finest and most protective gloves available for street riding and racing. Not cheap by any means, but many say "well worth it".
look at the materials used on them:

click for details

"second only to industrial diamonds for hardness and abrasion resistance"

edit: oh yeah, almost forgot... I recently had a crash while wearing the Held Hawk gloves
they are really more of a winter tourer style glove...
I hit my hand hard enough on something to cause an impact mark on the outside material, and an abrasion on my finger (without the glove splitting open) and leave a fat bruise.
even this relatively less protective model faired surprisingly well.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, my hand took a blunt of my fall. So I do not see why the SP-2 is said to be a bad glove. It took a lot of the damage, my hand just got bruised and swollen. But no broken bones or cuts or anything. so... I dunno?

·
8=(,,,)==D
458 Posts
Sp-2 offers just enough protection and nothing more. Check out the top end gloves, way more material.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts