BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go again. It seems that every time someone sees or hears of a bike laying on its side anywhere in the world, someone here feels the need to start a thread about it.

“OOOOOOO its so dangerous to ride on the street! OOOOOOO I’m only going to race or do track days.”

We ALL know it’s an extremely dangerous sport. So is zipping up your pants up without any underwear on (don’t ask). Or worse yet, getting you mom to do it.

Unless its got to do with a board member, keep your preaching to yourself. Last year was bad enough.
:surrender :horse

S

·
0 Posts
I must admit I have to agree. I think the rider down threads should be kept to a minimal, and in the BEST secnario be posted by the rider who went down. Have to think of friends and families as well here.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
Don't like it, don't open it!

No one is forcing anyone to read anything! I think the rider down posts go to shows the sense of community among bikers. Yes there are some lookyloos but for the most part people post and read these threads and hopefully are able to take something from them.

·
Registered
936 Posts
CrashTested said:
No one is forcing anyone to read anything! I think the rider down posts go to shows the sense of community among bikers. Yes there are some lookyloos but for the most part people post and read these threads and hopefully are able to take something from them.
:thumbup

For some, it's a way to deal with how fragile life really is and helps reinforce for them how they need to spend more time doing what they enjoy rather than being so angry at everything in the world. It's therapy. Let's leave it at that. To each their own. :)

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,213 Posts
5thgear said:
I still think there should be a seperate " Fallen Rider " section lot's of other sites have that.

+1

Then you can use the power of choice and look, or choose not to!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Sounds like kind of an online cemetary.
I dunno, might be alright to have a section highlighting the lives of the fallen riders.
Although i'm sure there are going to be a sleugh of comments from the "elders" telling new riders they will read about them in the fallen riders section.
:p

Ryan

D

·
0 Posts
Gawd said:
i'm sure there are going to be a sleugh of comments from the "elders" telling new riders they will read about them in the fallen riders section.
some of us elders have a difficult time dealing with stuff like this ourselves. personally i'd like to see a page, not a forum section, for our lost friends. corey, bog, dan, cody, and julia certainly deserve good memories. others that i never met, probably deserve the same.

but then it gets down to brass tacks. and i am not up for a debate on it, as i don't think anyone should have to deal with it. just what makes someone memorial section material? the guy with 5 posts that joined last week, knew no one, and met his demise on his first group ride? or an asshole like me?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
NOrrTH said:
Here we go again. It seems that every time someone sees or hears of a bike laying on its side anywhere in the world, someone here feels the need to start a thread about it.

“OOOOOOO its so dangerous to ride on the street! OOOOOOO I’m only going to race or do track days.”

We ALL know it’s an extremely dangerous sport. So is zipping up your pants up without any underwear on (don’t ask). Or worse yet, getting you mom to do it.

Unless its got to do with a board member, keep your preaching to yourself. Last year was bad enough.
Congratulations, I'm quite sure you know everything, and have no need to look at any threads, or need any warnings about being careful. But lots of other people do. Every year there's more and more noob riders that come on here, and don't have the advantage of your wealth of experience. Most of them never learn just how dangerous riding is till they get their noses rubbed in it.

The most fanatic gear nazis I know are ex-Harley guys who got to see just how little protection a beanie and a leather vest provide first hand, or how fast accidents happen when you make a mistake. I'd rather new riders learn from someone else's bad experiences instead of trying to hide it under the rug and pretend things don't happen.

If you don't like looking, don't click on the posts.

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
CrashTested said:
the sense of community among bikers.
It took me a while to realize this doesn't really exist.

Ride your bike. If you die and you were my friend I'll most likely get to your funeral. In the meantime, have a life outside bikes and smell lots of roses.

Next.

·
its closer now
1,858 Posts
cosworth said:
It took me a while to realize this doesn't really exist.

Ride your bike. If you die and you were my friend I'll most likely get to your funeral. In the meantime, have a life outside bikes and smell lots of roses.

Next.

agreed.. i learned the hard way... unfortunately, bikes was all i had for awhile... and my life without them is pretty crappy... it is good thanks to my girl...she keeps me relatively focused.

you dont want to read the threads... then dont... all these threads have something to say, community or not. the best experience i have "learned" is form others...until i had the opportunity to learn first hand. i prefer the first method thanks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
5thgear said:
I still think there should be a seperate " Fallen Rider " section lot's of other sites have that.
Ditto!
It's a website... how hard can it really be to add ONE more thread listing. Hell, put a gallery in too for photo's of our 'family'.

·
Ya, whatever.
669 Posts
I would like to see the real information about incidents so that I can learn from other peoples mistakes or misfortune wether they RIP or actually managed to stick around. I do not really care to hear about someone who earned RIP without knowing what happened. Knowing someone was killed because of some road hazard is worth knowing as is someone being a bonehead. We are all bone heads on bikes at one time or another. If we reduce our risk while being a bone head from something we have learned here, that is a good thing. I can chose to read a Rider down thread or not but if I do, I want to learn something that will help me make better judgements or shed light on a cenario I have not yet encountered. Dead or alive make it a learning tool, don't cover your buddys ass by holding info back.

·
I do all my own stunts
3,295 Posts
it's been discussed to death on here, everytime the mods say to leave it the way it is, stating that if u don't want to read it, don't. I understand the concern, asking if the rider u saw on the side of the road is ok, or if u heard a guy on a red bike went down and want to make sure it's not your buddy from a bunch of group rides. We all worry about our buddies, knowing damn well how fragile our lives, some of us yet, know first hand.

A memorial site sounds great, but i dont know if Adam should need to be burdened by it, why dont we setup seperate a site to remember those we lost?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts