BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Walked down to my bike yesterday morning and noticed a cigarette butt (no smoking building) at the front of my spot, also a bolt from my neighbors F4i on the ground. Gave my bike a quick look over and it looked fine. Today I go to use the trunk and the lock is [email protected] I also realized that the bolt from the Honda is from the rear seat. I guess I'm happy that its only a measly lock I need to fix but am curious what they thought might be in the trunk??? I'm sure insurance papers don't fetch much on the black market. Anyway, don't fool yourself thinking it won't happen to you. That's what I thought and now am dealing with it.

·
Does your chain hang low?
193 Posts
I'm sure insurance papers don't fetch much on the black market. Anyway, don't fool yourself thinking it won't happen to you.
Don't fool *yourself*. Your identity is far more valuable then anything else in/on the bike. Whenever the media shows footage of a B&E ring being broken there's always a huge box of ID-related material that the scum collect.

Another situation that makes me nervous about is when scum get your papers when you're parked at work. Then it's a simple matter to note your work schedule and pay a visit to your house.

I keep my ICBC papers in plastic pouch in my jacket or store a photocopy on the bike with my ID blacked out.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I
keep my ICBC papers in plastic pouch in my jacket or store a photocopy on the bike with my ID blacked out.
Excellent idea.
My insurance documents are in my riding gear.

My car? not available to the general public, after all, you have to produce insurance documents, they don't have to be in the vehicle. Whe the police "run," you plate, they will know if it's insured or not.

Anectodal comment: The biggest car theft area (a mall parking lot, go figure, as that's where all the cars are) suffered vehicle thefts, and also home thefts. The puke community would steal the car, drive to your house (they have your insurance documents in the glove box, right?) and drive into the garage. They have your garage door opener, right?
They now load up your car with your goods, and drive away.
Police doing neighbourhood canvass:
"And what did you see maam?"
"I saw my neighbours car go into the garage, and come out an hour later."
"Did you see the occupants of the car maam?"
"No, I didn't pay any attention. I waved, they waved back, and that was that."

1/ Don't leave insurance documents in/on the motorcycle.
2/ Don't leave insurance documents in the car (or available to the public)
3/ Don't leave your garage door opener in the vehicle.
4/ Don't leave money, however trivial, or valuable items in the car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another situation that makes me nervous about is when scum get your papers when you're parked at work. Then it's a simple matter to note your work schedule and pay a visit to your house.
Sounds like you speak from experience. I guess I still believe that my identity is safe but my bike isn't. When I can get into the trunk again I'll deal with the papers.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
One thing i don't like about Canada is having to keep the papers / licence with you. In the uk if you get pulled, you're given a "producer" which gives you 7 days to go to ANY police station and produce your documentation.

·
Stargaze
1,618 Posts
yup ametur thieves are morons... i've been struck by them not fun to deal with it..... they tried to roll my bike away and failed now ICBC doesnt wanna cover it...

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
in BC its up to the discretion of the officer. if he/she decides you have 7 days to produce your insurance papers then you get that. if they choose to give failure to produce insurance its their call. myself i keep my papers for my bike in my jacket and my cars papers sit at home. the laws in regards to insurance papers were established a long long time ago when identity theft wasn't even known. time to revamp that law i figure. its pretty easy to run the plates to see if insurance exists and cross reference it with the license you produce when asked to. really the papers are redundant.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
yup ametur thieves are morons... i've been struck by them not fun to deal with it..... they tried to roll my bike away and failed now ICBC doesnt wanna cover it...
You probably have Specified Perils instead of full Comprehensive coverage. Specified Perils covers Fire/Theft, but full Comp covers fire/theft *and* vandalism. So if some dipwad tries to steal your bike, rolls it a little ways away and drops it, make sure you report it stolen first, and it gets "found" more than a block from your house. Otherwise, it's just Vandalism, and you're hooped.

·
license to chill
2,877 Posts
4/ Don't leave money, however trivial, or valuable items in the car.
I twice had my car broken into just to see what was in the glovebox. The first time, they blew out my $250 rear hatch window.

JVC double-din: pass
Alpines: pass
Cell accessories: pass
$5 parking meter change collection inside a matchbox: jackpot!!!

I've since switched to cheaper speakers & deck but not sure what good it'll do...I still keep some change for parking :(

·
Stargaze
1,618 Posts
You probably have Specified Perils instead of full Comprehensive coverage. Specified Perils covers Fire/Theft, but full Comp covers fire/theft *and* vandalism. So if some dipwad tries to steal your bike, rolls it a little ways away and drops it, make sure you report it stolen first, and it gets "found" more than a block from your house. Otherwise, it's just Vandalism, and you're hooped.

well this doesnt sound good... Specified perils is what i have...

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
depending who the adjuster is, all you have to do to prove theft is show a busted locking mechanism on the bike. then coverage under theft kicks in. somer equire the bike actually being moved. its a crap shoot.

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
I twice had my car broken into just to see what was in the glovebox. The first time, they blew out my $250 rear hatch window.

JVC double-din: pass
Alpines: pass
Cell accessories: pass
$5 parking meter change collection inside a matchbox: jackpot!!!

I've since switched to cheaper speakers & deck but not sure what good it'll do...I still keep some change for parking :(
I park with the glovebox and ashtray open

·
Stargaze
1,618 Posts
depending who the adjuster is, all you have to do to prove theft is show a busted locking mechanism on the bike. then coverage under theft kicks in. somer equire the bike actually being moved. its a crap shoot.
see here's the problem my bike was moved, no damage to the Lock (I dont know why) and we're not talking 1-2 feet so its not just the bike moving as it falls, its moved a small distance from where it was part.

·
shut up and ride!
56 Posts
Sounds like you speak from experience. I guess I still believe that my identity is safe but my bike isn't. When I can get into the trunk again I'll deal with the papers.
When someone tried to steal my bike a couple of weeks ago,they broke my trunk lock too and when I finally got it open only to find out that they clean out everything.My papers were gone,tool kit gone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, funny thing happened to my bike.. the theives rolled it across the street and behind the grocery store where they stole my ignition switch... tore apart everything around it to get it.. must be a hot item.

Yeah, I'm glad they got chased away before they started the bike, but I woulda felt a lot better if someone thumped 'em one first.

·
n00b
704 Posts
I didn't read all this, but what you can do is on the copy of your insurance that you leave in your bike or car, you can cross out your address so it is not legible. This way, if you do get broken into, there is no address for thieves to source to. Make sure that your full name and driver's license number and everything else can be read because a police officer may ask you to recite it and then reference it on the computer. Also if you do this, depending on the type of ink used in the copy process, letters may still be legible even if they are jiffied out. I put a piece of paper over my address when making the copy so as to be 100% that it could not be read.

I think I even read this on BCSB, but had it confirmed by a police officer when they did a seatbelt check on me a few months ago.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
You probably have Specified Perils instead of full Comprehensive coverage. Specified Perils covers Fire/Theft, but full Comp covers fire/theft *and* vandalism.
Of course, if our friend has specified perils, he's still covered.....if it can be shown it was an "attempted theft," as per the Regulations.

I'll cut and paste:
"specified perils coverage" means coverage for loss or damage caused by falling or forced landing of an aircraft or part of an aircraft, fire, lightning, theft or attempted theft, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, rising water, riot or civil commotion or the stranding, sinking, burning, derailment, upset or collision of a conveyance in or on which a vehicle is being transported on land or water;

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Make sure that your full name and driver's license number and everything else can be read because a police officer may ask you to recite it and then reference it on the computer.
Yes, this works, but why cause more work for the officer? Making his life easier on the side of the road can reap many benefits.
Keep insurance documents on your person, in your helmet, in your shorts or boots, but *not* on/in the motorcycle.

Pulling out a copy, explaining away the blank spots, making him go back to the car to run your plate (the alternative could have been a conversation on the side of the road....) may test the patience of the officer, whom we all know has better things to do than write tickets......

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Of course, if our friend has specified perils, he's still covered.....if it can be shown it was an "attempted theft," as per the Regulations.
Correct, and I hope I didn't imply otherwise with my earlier post (if I did, my bad). Going from memory of reports of attempted thefts here on BCSB, though, your chances aren't good if the bike only moves a few feet down the street before it's dumped, or if there's no evidence of theft (broken lock, etc.) to support your claim.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts