BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I'm a long time Apple fan, and that video is spot on. Somebody needs to put Jony Ive back in a box. This pursuit of thin is stripping all the functionality out of the products.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Thanks. laughed my ass off.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Holy fack! Lol
Today if i buy a laptop it has to have i7 processor with touch screen at minimum. And then the design will dictate how much above $1000 I'll be willing to pay for it.

That Apple laptop certainly has some awesome innovations (battery and touch pad) but comeon you just can't sacrifice everything else for design with such a premium price tag.

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
a buddy of mine boasted he was picking one up... i had no idea how useless the damn thing was... obviously the video is FAKE, the dude starts talking about a cook or something right off the batbut pretty damn funny :devillook

New MacBook 2015 hands-on review: Ports

Another big talking point about this new MacBook is its ports. There are just two found on the new MacBook, one for your headphones, and on the other side a USB Type-C port that pretty much does everything else.

That's right, there's no Magsafe, there's no USB 3, there's no Thunderbolt, there's no SD card slot. Instead, Apple has decided that USB Type-C is all you need.

The USB-C port can be used for charging, as USB for connecting peripherals, for HDMI, VGA and DisplayPort. And of course, that means you're going to need an adapter, which you can buy from Apple (but you'll need to remember to lug around with you).

It's something that has both impressed us and concerned us, but as Macworld editor Karen Haslam pointed out, we all freaked out about the MacBook Air when it launched without the optical drive but everyone is over it now.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,268 Posts
USB Type-C is the future and will soon replace a whole bunch of old-school ports; that's great, and you'll all love it in your own PCs in a few years.

As for everyone making fun of the Macbook, you're all completely missing the point. This laptop isn't meant for specification bragging rights on overclocking.net - it's meant to be reasonably fast, physically light, and work all day. These are things their target demographic (not you) needs, and I'm sure the laptop will be a hit in no time.

Just remember that while you're posting on forums about "stupid Apple" , and how much bigger your own e-penis is, Apple is rolling in (ridiculous amounts of) money and you're not.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Until you need to charge it, transfer to usb, and use a mouse at the same time.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
USB Type-C is the future and will soon replace a whole bunch of old-school ports; that's great, and you'll all love it in your own PCs in a few years.

As for everyone making fun of the Macbook, you're all completely missing the point. This laptop isn't meant for specification bragging rights on overclocking.net - it's meant to be reasonably fast, physically light, and work all day. These are things their target demographic (not you) needs, and I'm sure the laptop will be a hit in no time.

Just remember that while you're posting on forums about "stupid Apple" , and how much bigger your own e-penis is, Apple is rolling in (ridiculous amounts of) money and you're not.
If it was just this machine you'd have a point, it can be considered an iPad with a keyboard. But the MacBook pros no longer come with Ethernet, FireWire or a security slot. They obsess over fractions of a millimetre on a phone that most people put a case on. Apple is going too far on the minimalist, form before function design.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,268 Posts
If it was just this machine you'd have a point, it can be considered an iPad with a keyboard. But the MacBook pros no longer come with Ethernet, FireWire or a security slot. They obsess over fractions of a millimetre on a phone that most people put a case on. Apple is going too far on the minimalist, form before function design.
I've got a top of the line MacBook Pro from 2013. No Ethernet slot, and I haven't missed it a single time. Also no DVD slot, and again, no need for it. Have never used FireWire in my life, nor the security slot. I agree the obsession over thinness may be a bit much, but they're simply phasing out old technology that is no longer relevant to most consumers.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I've got a top of the line MacBook Pro from 2013. No Ethernet slot, and I haven't missed it a single time. Also no DVD slot, and again, no need for it. Have never used FireWire in my life, nor the security slot. I agree the obsession over thinness may be a bit much, but they're simply phasing out old technology that is no longer relevant to most consumers.
Exactly. Consumers. They want to strip things out of the Air, no problem. But the Pro is supposed to be a pro machine, and it's used by professionals (including the company I work for) on a daily basis. And professionals want ports. I've talked to other professionals that are really not impressed with the way the macbook pro is going.

I can see moving from Firewire to thunderbolt; ok whatever. But wireless networking is not reliable enough, and having to carry another adaptor (and kill a port we're already using for an external monitor) to get a RJ45 jack is stupid

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,268 Posts
Hey, how come you can't connect an iPod to an iPad?

Even via wireless.
Because you're using the wrong cases; they need to be pink.

Exactly. Consumers. They want to strip things out of the Air, no problem. But the Pro is supposed to be a pro machine, and it's used by professionals (including the company I work for) on a daily basis. And professionals want ports. I've talked to other professionals that are really not impressed with the way the macbook pro is going.

I can see moving from Firewire to thunderbolt; ok whatever. But wireless networking is not reliable enough, and having to carry another adaptor (and kill a port we're already using for an external monitor) to get a RJ45 jack is stupid
Well, truth be told, "Pro" is just a marketing term. Just like Corolla "S" - not exactly a sports car ;).

If someone requires features not available in the current offerings, they'll look elsewhere, and that's something Apple is undoubtably not worried about. Hey, you can always spend $20k on a Mac Pro!

Look, I'm with you that an ethernet port would be nice to have, but for me (and everyone I work with), it's really not a deal breaker. Wireless can have its issues, but in my experience the issues are rare and far between on a properly setup network. Tech is moving away from cables, so IMO it's better to accept it and find ways of dealing with the inevitable than complain about something you can't change.

There are lots of things that were "better" in the "old days," but there's no bringing them back at any reasonable expense.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
If someone requires features not available in the current offerings, they'll look elsewhere, and that's something Apple is undoubtably not worried about. Hey, you can always spend $20k on a Mac Pro!

Look, I'm with you that an ethernet port would be nice to have, but for me (and everyone I work with), it's really not a deal breaker. Wireless can have its issues, but in my experience the issues are rare and far between on a properly setup network. Tech is moving away from cables, so IMO it's better to accept it and find ways of dealing with the inevitable than complain about something you can't change.

There are lots of things that were "better" in the "old days," but there's no bringing them back at any reasonable expense.
Unfortunately professional users, more so than the average casual user, may be tied to, or invested in, a particular piece of software so looking elsewhere isn't an option. And based on my Windows/PC experience, I'll take the adaptor in a heartbeat.

A properly set up network is nice, but given that these are portable they're often used in not so nicely set up networks. Not to mention the advancement of locked wireless networks, such as at the convention centre where anything other than a Bell router is jammed. And the networks are so crowded in places, they just aren't reliable.

I agree that tech is getting more wireless, but that's part of the problem as the shrinking spectrum gets more crammed. It's still the case that if you want the fastest, most robust and secure connection, it's wired, and that's not referring back to the "old days" that's now.

But of course every new model sells better than the last one, so I'm sure my feedback gets round-filed at Apple. I just wish they would stop making aesthetics the primary driver of all engineering decisions.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
WOW. you guys are way too serious about your computers. shouldn't matter if you're an apple fanboy or not. the video is still damn funny!

p.s. this is the funnies section. not I have a stick up my ass about apple computers section. lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts