BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rusty360 and I know each other from Sportbike West last summer and he popped my a couple of personal Emails to be sure it was me. He finished up with the following quote that I asked if I could share. I felt that his questions about mods and gear had a general apeal so I thought we could let the rest of you drop in on this and lend your own suggestions or just learn from the exchange. Take it away rusty;

Ya this new bscportbike website is really good, the message board is awesome, has all of the good features of sportbikes.net but all local content. I love it. This new ZX-6R I picked up is awesome, and yes it is miles better then the old EX-500, I could never go back to that bike now. This summer I am planning on trying to do a lot of weekend trips, either packing a small tent or staying in cheap hotels and such and SBW will probably be one of those weekends. I like to ride quickly but still at a moderate pace so if that suits you and the others it would be fun to do some weekend touring through the interior of BC and what not. Actually on the SBW weekend my dads beemer club is also having a rally in Nakusp so I might end up passing through SBW on my way to there, we will have to see.

I never knew about this group before, I know a bunch of people in VROM and sometimes ride with them. This group looks really interesting though.

Anyway I am looking to start customizing and really getting to know my new ZX-6R, so seeing your bike is the bigger sibling to mine maybe you have some tips or ideas. What mods have you done, other than your paint and new Yosh exhaust. I am also thinking about getting a set of leathers, specifically under $1000 and I was looking at the Teknic Lightning two piece in grey/black to match the bike. Any thoughts on leathers would be appreciated. Also I should probably get a stand, everyone talks about this Anaconda one at BK, is that the one to get? Finally, what is your opinion on frame sliders, I want them also to protect the body work to some degree but I get such mixed comments about their effectiveness. The guys at BK even said they dont really do anything to protect the body work and were basically telling me not to bother buying them cause they are overpriced.

So look forward to some rides soon, I will fully insure my bike the first week or March. Later

Mike.

First of all I just hope Adam's and Jim's heads don't swell up so much that their helmets don't fit :D

Leathers. Having just gone through buying some for the track I feel that I can help a little. First off don't get them too loose. If the arms and legs can swivel around to easily then you stand a real risk of the armour swinging out of position during the impact which can twist the joints that the armour in supposed to protect and result in damage that should not occur. You also run the risk of the liner grabbing the skin and tearing it painfully. But of course you want it loose enough that you don't have trouble breathing or crouchng either. My new suit lets me crouch to a fully closed knee position but there is a little pressure from the armour on the knee cap. Nothing that causes immediate pain but enough that 10 minutes or so would have me grimacing. In the riding position it's quite tolerable and the leather should break in with some stretching just fine. But for street touring you also want room for a set of ski underwear for warmth so try them on with some full length undies and a sweater or sweatshirt. For the summer a good set of vents or, better yet, perforations is tops. If you go for the perforated leather then a rain jacket over top will cover you off for the cooler days. This last option is actually my recomendation. You'll thank me when it gets hot. Nothing succeeds for beating the heat like extensive perforations in the leather.

As for the bike. The full system is the foundation for the rest of the work I'm planning on. The rest will be bigger main jets and some needle shimming if required, a variable ignition advancer, blocking off the air injection into the exhaust and removing the anti-resonance stubs in the ram air ducts. I can't take credit for all this. I'm just following in the well trodden foot steps of a couple of the SBN guys. There's no reason the 6R shouldn't respond to the same treatment but first you got to pop for the full system. After that the rest is just a couple of hundred more.

Any sort of rear stand is a great accessory for home work on the bike. The biggest reason is to clean and lube the chain. But it's great for those wash and detail days as well. And any of them are just fine. I think the guys liked the Anaconda becuase it's cheaper than the rest or something. Guys????? I actually made a stand that plugs into the hollow swingarm. I like it because it's totally out of the way and I can work on the suspension without the systems being loaded. And it's a snap to just lift the front end up with a second little car scissor jack under the front of the engine cases. Think of it as a giant external center stand.

Frame sliders is a big bugaboo for Kawi's. The usual little ones that fit into the little pockets and use the way too small fairing mount screws are pretty much useless except in a parking lot or at very low parking lot speeds. The problem is the little mounting screw that is just not up to the task. In any sort of serious drop it bends or snaps and the protector can actually cause more damage from being wedged in there than the bike along would do. The only good ones for our bikes require holes be drilled in the side panels and the sliders be mounted using a couple of the much larger mounting bolts that hold the head of the engine to the frame. But this also requires the coolant reservoir tank to either be relocated or replaced with a special one that has a hole through it to clear the slider. Besides, apparently our Kawis "crash well" :eek according to BK. They say the bikes get all scratched up sure enough but the important stuff seems to usually survive so at least you can ride the wreck home and down to the dealer. A big comfort that is :rolleyes It seems to work though. When I went down last fall there was nothing other than cosmetic damage........ which one of my riding buddies was nice enough to cover up with a BANDAID :p

I think I've covered everything. Any comments from the peanut gallery?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
that's one long post man, read 1/2 will read 1/2 later....

but Rusty, I have the service manual (i.e. the book the shop mechanics use) on the 2000-2002 ZX6R so if you need any info. let me know, I will photocopy the pages you need and then fax it to you....or anyone else...

B

·
0 Posts
Being that I just bought my bike within days of you buying the same bike, I've got a few things to say that might help.

I'm also looking for cheap initial mods that I can do myself so that not only will i learn about my bike while doing the mods(i've got almost zero car/bike maintenance experience), but I will also be able to afford riding it! So far, I've purchased aluminum frame sliders, a tank bra (not really a mod, but affects appearance) and flushmount front turn signals. (by the way, i bought/buy everything from Trevor at BK, usually.)

As for BMathews' frame sliders comments....... looks like I shouldn't have bought mine! But they do give me peace of mind because last summer some loser knocked by 250 Ninja over while I was at work and there was about $900 worth of damage done! With the sliders, I'm hoping to save some coin in case anything as horrible as that should happen to my Honey. If you're planning on using your bike on the track, it has been recommended to me to buy the poly whatchamacallit plastic sliders 'cause the aluminum ones are supposed to catch on concrete more easliy. causing your bike to flip.....so I'm told,anyway. (there's a thread somewhere here)

I installed the flushmount signals myself, and it was definately a learning experience. I don't have any other real experience with connecting wires and stuff so it took me a lot longer than it should have. All I can say is that have fun putting your front fairing back on again!!! It took me more than a couple of hours to put those things on/off, due to a lot of screws and the air intake tubes! Also, about the actual flushmount signals, I bought those for under $30 from BK and they look great, but the amber bulbs burn out easily. Replacements cost $5 or so PER BULB.

What definatley made the job easier was the ANACONDA rear stand that I bought for $140. I'd recommend a rear stand if you intend on doing any maintenance yourself. I bought this stand in particular because of its lifetime warranty and because it looked much more stable than some others i saw. I wouldn't spend more than $150 on a stand.

Other mods i'm looking into:
Rear signals, a hugger($250-500), maybe eventually a pipe, an undertail (i am told $300+), iridium windshield (see post on Iridium windshields), custom decals, polished frame???

B

·
0 Posts
A bit more to say:
Good tools are essential! The stock tool kit they give you aren't enough. Right now Canadian Tire is having a sale on their Mastercraftsman Socket Wrench sets of 70, 92, 205 pieces, all for at least %50 off!! I bought a 205 piece set last week for only $150 incl tax. MOre than i'll ever possibly use and need, but a great deal! 92 piece was $50 i think, and 70 piece for $30?

If you want to see the anaconda in use, my flushmounts or whatever, I live near Holyburn so if you are in the area, you could swing by.
You said you are living downtown, right? I don't know if they let you do maintenance stuff in the parking garages but if you need a garage to work in, you're welcome to use mine. It's not a pro setup, but it's a fully covered garage and i've got lamps and my basic tools. Some friends occaisionally store theirs at my place too.

I'm also planning on doing a lot of small camping trips this summer so I'm looking at new camping gear and MEC is the best place i've found. They are cheap, have free delivery for online purchases, and have great quality stuff. I've been searching for very compactable things and have everything picked out specifically for compatibility with bike trips. I'm just waiting for cash to buy it. (tent, camel pack, sleeping bag, trunk light, sleeping pad, cooking gear, etc.) I've done some research so if you want any suggestions on this stuff, let me know.

Leathers: I think you can get a great set of leathers for as low as $600. I bought mine for $740 tax incl. but BK has cheaper ones that are still great.

Just my two cents.......

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bluestone, if you're looking for soft saddle bags to fit the bike I can heartily recomend the Joe Rocket ones. The tapered wedge shape clears the pipe with a gooe 3 inches of room and the bags hold plenty even before you release the expansion zip. And cheap too at $130 before any discounts you get.

B

·
0 Posts
Which joe rocket ones? That was actually going to be one of my next purchases! Do they have them at BK? I was looking at joe Rocket set of saddle bags there (hanging on the left wall) but they are not soft, and they were a bit more expensive. Trevor said those ones were pretty good but after a while, the part that you unzip to expand might get soft and start to sag....
Wait, what exactly do you mean by soft? Not hard plastic? or soft as in even softer than the synthetic nylon-type stuff?
The ones i was looking at were synthetic nylon-type kind of triangular things, so if that is what you mean by "soft"...

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the ones alright. They are Cordura on the outside and come with sheet plastic stiffeners that you have to bust a gut to get into the pockets but once they are in the bags are quite stiff and resistant to sagging. But if you release the expansion zips then yes the expanded part CAN sag if the bag is not stuffed full.

They only make the one model and that's the wedge shaped one. On my bike I let the forward strap lie across the forward edge of the rear saddle and the rear strap goes up through the grab handles and across the saddle. Locks 'er down reall nice so no shifting. And I got a soft fleece blanket with some cutouts for the grab handles that goes on first so the bags don't scuff the sides of the rear seat fairing. Don't try going ANYWHERE without a soft saddle blanket in there or the paint will dissapear real quick.

As a bonus the wedge shape looks pretty good on the bike too :)

R

·
0 Posts
Ya bluestone I wouldnt mind checking out your stand and those new flushmounts you got. Maybe I can meet up with you sometime after I insure my bike, I am thinking I will insure this Friday cause the weekend looks good. I am somewhat mechanically inclined already but this is a new bike to me so I dont know much about it. I was also thinking about getting an undertail and would like to know what you have found about them, I am so hesitant though to start hacking that back end off cause its so new. Is you bike insured, if so and it is sunny on Saturday I was thinking of riding out to BK, I need a new visor and maybe pick up one of those Anaconda stands, although I dont know how I would carry it back!

R

·
0 Posts
Oh ya and that is sweet that you got the yellow one, I thought it looked so good because it came without any of the decals on it. I asked if I could get my silver one like that but only the yellow comes without the stickers.

B

·
0 Posts
I'm working on Sat during the day, but i'm free on Sunday morning/afternoon if you wanna check out my lights and stand. And just fyi: I've got the adjustable stand with paddles on it whereas you can also get the stand that require spools to be mounted to your swingarm.

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
rusty360 said:
Is you bike insured, if so and it is sunny on Saturday I was thinking of riding out to BK, I need a new visor and maybe pick up one of those Anaconda stands, although I dont know how I would carry it back!
the stands are small and light enough to strap onto your back with a little rope or something :) you may look like a fool, but it will work :) :laughing :laughing :laughing

B

·
0 Posts
I don't know about strapping that stand to my back, especially with a brand new bike! In fact, the anaconda rear stand isn't that small. Come see mine and you'll see how annoying and dangerous that could be. I've seen other rear stands that are much smaller that could be strapped to your back.. but just not that one.
Not to knock on your suggestion Cad Gixxer....
;)

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
I have a Anaconda rear stand, and well... I managed to get it home :) hehehehe :)

You should have seen me trying to put my bike up on it hahahaha :) oh man, precious newbie moments :) :laughing :laughing

B

·
0 Posts
ditto! I still look like a fool trying to balance the bike with one hand and slide the stand in place with the other!!

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
Bluestone said:
ditto! I still look like a fool trying to balance the bike with one hand and slide the stand in place with the other!!
at least you have those grab handles on your kawi to hold onto.... I have to balance the bike by having the tail lean on my hand while the other tries to prop the stand under it :)

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure what the name is or where to get them but there is al least one stand that uses a forward tipping lever so you don't need to do the balancing act at the tail of the bike. Might be worth someone doing a little searching.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts