BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left my bike for the last 2 days covered under my bike cover in my carport and when I took the bike out this morning there was a half eaten plum on the instrument panel, a bone of some kind on the fender and animal crap, small ones and the bloody thing was eating some wires too.

What should I do? Should put a trap on the tank of the bike? Who has some good ideas? I am going to store it in my car port for the winter so i need something that is going to work.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
LOL dont store your garbage beside your bike?

Put little cups of beer around the perimeter. This way they either get to drunk to climb your bike, or if they do they pass out and you catch them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
moth balls, stick them around the garage hidden though so that a cat or dog couldnt get at them, that will fry those buggers FAST.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
have a party for them. invite the rowdiest and nastiest of critters and mebbe they won't come back!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know i was really hoping it wasn't rats! YUCK.
The garbage is across the street, But the people next door are not the Cleanest people.
Eeeewwww now all i can think of is the rats near my door to the house...Sorry that was the girl coming out in me... Eeeewwwww.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
set up traps. catch one and send him to re-habilitation. might be squirrels too!! yeah it's squirrels cause atleast they're cuter!!

G

·
leave a small puddle of antifreeze nearby. or in a small cup or bowl on the bike.

they'll only drink it once....

·
Registered
220 Posts
leave a small puddle of antifreeze nearby. or in a small cup or bowl on the bike.
they'll only drink it once....
antifreeze, is your best bet. what ever you do, dont use actual rat poison. doesnt work. they just bring the poison onto what ever your trying to keep them away from. and it is impossible to clean off.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Get a cat.

·
myside.yourside.myside
2,095 Posts
Traps are your best bet -- anything else could hurt pets/have unintended consequences. Unfortunately traps generally aren't for the squeamish (rats are big... I dunno if they have those 'motel' like traps for rats where you dont see it after it has gotten killed..) perhaps there's someone you can impose on to put down some traps and check them for you. Or I guess you could use an exterminator....

Cory

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really have no problem if they are dead. I will squeek like a girl and i might jump around a little a go Eeewww, but i will get the job done i am not that much of a girlie girl.
I was worried about using Antifreeze cause there is a dog that lives upstairs and a cat next door that is always out and about. And there are little kids around too i am always worried about them.

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
I am having the same problem with my car in my driveway. I can't park my car back there anymore, they get into the engine bay and "hang out." Moth balls don't work.

·
Registered
170 Posts
hey little one:

we had a "problem" last year, but they were inside the garage. bought lots of traps, glue paper and lots of Wilson Pellets, both types. (from Home Depot). also bought the High Frequency electronic units.

did a test. I put the electronic HF unit on one side of the garage, and loaded up the traps and Pellets along both walls. the side with the HF were not touched, but on the other side pellets were eaten, but the trap managed to get a few. We baited the Mouse traps with Peanut butter, and surrounded them with Glue Paper. it seems to work and after a month or so problem solved. the HF noise makers are very load to rodent ears, but humans cannot hear them (they are also supposed to be dog safe - the frequency range does not bother them.

you can put pellets inside Jars placed on their sides, this will stop dogs/cats from getting into them, but won't stop little children. you can also place them around the perimeter of your house, and will keep them out of the rain.

my suggestion would be to buy one (or more) of these electronic HF noise (sirens), and place it (them) near the lowest point of your bike, where you think they are using to climb up. they do work. they used to cost around $40. + tax (home depot).

bob

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
This is a common problem once the weather starts to cool off. BBQ's, engine bays, etc... anywhere they can go to escape the elements.

·
Happy Camper
2,698 Posts
RatKillin' 101:
By BlackScorpion

Ok, I live in Surrey surrounded with open ditches and trailer parks. We get lotsa rats.
Don't use poison, don't use antifreeze. Why? Because other animals like cats or dogs will eventually get it in their system. Whether they eat it directly or eat a dead rat, they'll get poisoned too.

Cats I don't mind getting poisoned, but then my dog might eat one of those cats and she'll get poisoned.

Also, the rats crawl up your walls to die and you won't know it until the smell hits you and you'll be going nuts trying to figure out where that rotten fish/crap smell is coming from, even after you've had a shower.

Best thing to get them? Big "Victor" brand wooden rat traps. The trick is to use a hazelnut or almond for a bait, and impale the nut into the trigger, so the rat has to actually work on it to get it. If you use something soft like Peanut Butter, they'll just gently lick it off (shut it!) without triggering the trap. Something hard like a dried nut will make the rat chew on it and pull on it (kinky!) until it sets the trap off.

A more advanced technique is to set the trigger slightly off to the side so that it's "hairtrigger" and a rat fart will set it off! This is a more advanced technique which has taken me many years to perfect and I have only lost 3 fingers.

Good luck!

PS: If that doesn't work, smear dog shit all over your bike. It will keep all animals away.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay thanks for all the idea's i think i am going with the Trap and HF thing. I don't want to kill the dog upstairs so this might be best bet. And i need to make the people next door clean up there junk.

Or i figure out how to get the bike in and out of the house...

Right then i am going shopping for traps.

·
Registered
170 Posts
RatKillin' 101:
By BlackScorpion

A more advanced technique is to set the trigger slightly off to the side so that it's "hairtrigger" and a rat fart will set it off! This is a more advanced technique which has taken me many years to perfect and I have only lost 3 fingers.
black scorpion: i'm going to try the NUT idea next time. so far i've been clear since last spring. (fingers crossed) the Peanut butter idea does work most of the time and the Traps can be adjusted for sensitivity, ie can be moved to the side slightly. but the HF things do work. just imagine a 120 db horn blaring 24 hours a day (lucky we can't hear it).

i don't know the brand of traps, but i like the ones with the plastic trigger, and they are cheap enough to just throw away. i never re-use them, don't want to get germ contamination by touching anything i don't have to.

sorry about your 3 fingers

bob

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.