BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had a battery sitting outside of my bike for most of the winter.
I charged it for a couple of hours, and it started the bike. Couple of days later - no juice. Does it means it's dead and I need a new one?

Please advise.

-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,195 Posts
Quite likely but perhaps not. A couple of hours isn't enough to bring a battery up to fully charged. Add on the juice you sucked out of it with the starting and you may have sucked it dry again.

Try charging it for overnight. Take the charger off and check the voltage. leave it for a few days. If it's dead then it's really dead. If it's good then you're OK.
 
K

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
you should never do that man.. not on a sealed battery, thats what im sayn tho, go ahead lol
 

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
Joined
·
930 Posts
Try popping the lids off and topping up the electrolyte too.
you should never do that man.. not on a sealed battery
Hmm... well, if the battery is 'sealed' then there is no 'lid' to pop off, is there?

Don't make a minor battery issue into a major problem - it is most like sulfated from sitting around. The newer trickle chargers have a 'desulfate' option that has revived old batteries of mine that I thought were toast.

Invest the $45 and get a decent charger, and use it during the winter.

My 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a cheapie 0.9A/hr charger from Canadian Tire. I charged it for 4 hours and it had enough juice to start the bike.. The battery says 10 hours at 1A though. Would that do it you think, or will it just kill the battery all together? I dont want ot buy a trickle charger, because I sold my bike. I was expecting battery trouble so I promised to deal with it when I sold the bike. I dont want to be out a $100 for a new battery though :(
 

·
Happy Camper
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
Sometimes "tapping" or shaking the battery gently on the ground can break off some of the corrosion on the surface of the lead plates, exposing them better to the electrolyte. Be gentle though, the lead plates inside are very delicate.

Putting the battery on a good "smart" charger for a couple of days can make a big difference too. I have an all-purpose CanTire charger with a 2A/12A/70A settings. I've put my bike battery on the 2A setting for a day. The charger stops charging when the battery is "full".

Also, if you're going to go on short trips in the bright sunshine, pull the plugs on the back of your headlights so more juice from the charger goes to the battery...remember to plug them back in when it gets dark... :) (yes this is dangerous)
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
KAwa-lev said:
you should never do that man.. not on a sealed battery, thats what im sayn tho, go ahead lol
depends on which battery, the maintenance free or the old one..if its the maintenance free one, dont do it...if its the old one (usually red and white), then do it
 

·
Chronic
Joined
·
4,472 Posts
TeeTee said:
Quite likely but perhaps not. A couple of hours isn't enough to bring a battery up to fully charged. Add on the juice you sucked out of it with the starting and you may have sucked it dry again.

Try charging it for overnight. Take the charger off and check the voltage. leave it for a few days. If it's dead then it's really dead. If it's good then you're OK.
good advice
 

·
Chronic
Joined
·
4,472 Posts
Miteorite said:
I have a cheapie 0.9A/hr charger from Canadian Tire. I charged it for 4 hours and it had enough juice to start the bike.. The battery says 10 hours at 1A though. Would that do it you think, or will it just kill the battery all together? I dont want ot buy a trickle charger, because I sold my bike. I was expecting battery trouble so I promised to deal with it when I sold the bike. I dont want to be out a $100 for a new battery though :(
If it sitting killed it in a few days, then you will hear back from that person shortly!

The maintenance free batteries (sealed) don't like to sit around uncharged. Once they reach zero, they are usually shot. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't. If it's charged, it should sit around for months and still start.
In the first 4 hours, it would recieve most of it's charge, and unless you just let it idle, which drains the battery, she's a goner:surrender
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
PRSmechanic said:
BAD ADVICE....what if it's maintenance free, which you should never ever open
How can you tell if it's maintenance free or not? I always assumed that the maintenance free ones were sealed (ie. no lids)?
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
burnt03 said:
How can you tell if it's maintenance free or not? I always assumed that the maintenance free ones were sealed (ie. no lids)?
maintenance free ones are the small and usually black ones

the ones you can fill up are usually red and white with yellow caps at the top
 

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Even the maintenance free batteries have caps. They are shipped with the electrolyte seperate and it is installed at PDI time.

It may be a bit dry but I doubt water will help. Batteries need constant service (charge, partial discharge, repeat) to live a long life. Face it, this batteries days are numbered.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top