BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swing arm bearings? adjust? check? replace?....I've got 70,000km, was just wondering if I should start thinking about it coz it is not in list of items to service on regular basis.

Second. Do you guys think a power comander properly maped might smooth out the engine surging at 3-4k rpm? (my starter valves are adjusted to spec) thinking about doing this to richen up the mixture coz I have an acro pipe and a K&N filter.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
70,000 kms?

Wow good for you! Must have a comfy seat!

I would change the bearings if they are worn, if not just re grease.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
If they have grease nipples then give 'em two squirts. And just two. If you do more you'll force the seals out and that'll let water in. Two now and two more next year.

954's are pretty current so I can't see them being worn. Swing arm bearings only wear if water gets in or they run dry.

If they don't have grease nipples then it may be worth it at this point to take the back end apart and check them. Anyone with 70000 kms obviously did his share of riding in the rain. And seals are never perfect. By now they could probably use a clean and re-grease and it wouldn't hurt to treat it to a new set of seals if you do much riding in the mucky stuff as it sounds like.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about the surging?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
G-slide said:
get a scooter, it'll fix your problems you dumb farker

HAHAHAH....WWWAAAAAZZZZAAAAAP Gurp We gotta go for a rip around town soon! (on tha skoots!)

·
V Lister
4,277 Posts
you might cure the surging, by simply running the stock air filter, the k&n , might be too free flowing, leaning out the fuel mixture. unless you have a full a/m exhaust , i would not bother with the power comander.

·
Registered
135 Posts
get the power comander , it will make a huge difference . Basically your giving it alot of air , and alot of exhaust but not enough gas . It'll make a big difference in power delivery. If the bearings are squekin , grease em up.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Nope.... bad swing arm bearings don't cause surging...... :evilgrin

If you want to run the fancy pipe and air filter then you don't really have any alternative. Get the PC III and a map to cure your woes.

As a bonus once you richen the mixture you'll find that there's more power too.

Or switch back to the stock stuff. Both of them. Only putting the stock air filter back in or only the stock pipe on will still leave it a little lean but perhaps you won't notice just a little.

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
My swingarm bearings went bad at around that mileage. Don't bother taking things apart just to inspect or lube them; the bearings are cheap compared to the labour involved so it's best to replace them.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you everyone for your advice....it seems as though I will be throwing some money at the 954 before this summer road trip season!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts