BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No not mine.

As I was walking across the parkade this morning my ears heard the unmistakable sound of lots of parts having an argument with each other coming up the ramp. This cacophony of music was coming from inside a set of silver fairings belonging to a Ducati 900SS Final Edition. Seeing this and hearing the tone coming from that set of carbon mufflers made my heart skip a beat and brought a tear to my eye.

He pulled in to the same spot where a VTR usually lives. I walked over with a smile on my face "So, you traded in the VTR?"

"No, it was stolen....."

After a couple of pleasentries about what sort of treatment these types should receive we got onto his new bike. He used to have one in Germany and he was overjoyed to find another that he could afford. This is the same guy that I had talked to earlier and he said even then that he preffered his old Duc to the VTR.

He's gonna be looking for locks really soon..... and alarms.

I've never heard about so many thefts and attempted thefts as this spring. I could be wrong but it sure sounds like there's a group of pro's out there.

Keep 'em safe and locked people. It won't help if they really want them but at least you'll make it harder for them.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,817 Posts
I know last year about this time Texas, especially the Dallas area, was perhaps the WORST place you could own a sportbike; they were being stolen left right and center....
Hopefully those bike thieves havn't migrated up to BC...

I say we seriously consider FloMan's booby-trap idea...nab these punks before too many bikes go missing!!

Your bike could be next!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well if you are looking for chain you want to get Case Hardened Boron Steel, it is suppose to be the best available and will withstand 3feet long bolt cutters. Also use more than one lock I know it sounds like a pain but they recommend at least 2 different types of locks, ie chain and lock, and then a U-lock, if the crook requires more than one tool for the job they will usually leave. Also two chains doesn't really help because if you can cut one you can cut two. When Jody and I done with the new security measures, I will be sure to allow for at least an extra 15 mins before each ride to unlock everything.

Those bastards will NOT be getting our bikes again, at least not from Jody's house.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Digi168 said:
Well if you are looking for chain you want to get Case Hardened Boron Steel,
I can attest to this as we use at work to lock down our computers and broke a pair of bolt cutters on it.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Digi168 said:
.....When Jody and I done with the new security measures, I will be sure to allow for at least an extra 15 mins before each ride to unlock everything....
So much for that quick errand run to the 7-11... :laughing

·
Back to the OG
228 Posts
Just as Vancouver is the drug capital of north america, it's no surprise we have a huge problem with car and bike theft - we're a port city and A LOT of this stuff goes directly into a cargo bin, then shipped to ... With techonology to steal any high end car you can dream of, stealing a bike is a relatively simple matter for those with such inclinations. You are all correct that the idea is target hardening with any protection avail., but you ARE powerless if someone really wants what you have.

As for the appearance of increased theft this year, I'm not sure if it has or not, but what is a variable to remember is visibility of these events has increased via things like this message board. I know I'm stating the obvious, but the media has an influence as well - remember the BS "huge" coyote threat? Unchecked bullying in schools etc. Now it's import car drivers and racing, soon it'll be motorcycle/vehicle theft. Be careful, just don't let it get the best of you, as I can see the potential for paranoia setting in.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe a "not so happy ending".......

I had it rubbed into me when I came down from work and was on the way to my bicycle. There is was....... his Ducati........ Damn it looks good........And it's going to be there......every.......day.......

I don't think I can take much of this..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts