BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
That new bike smell
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody is having their bike stolen. People are looking for ways to deter thieves. I think I recall someone mentioning marking different parts of your bike with your DL number.

Parking my bike next to the car this evening I looked at all the numbers etched on its windows. I've had the Toyota for so long now I don't notice the numbers that were put on everything- bodyparts, mags, engine parts.

The car has a sticker that has "Sherlock Anti-theft" system on it. I figured it was a US company. According to the numbers on the car it was marked in Quebec. Link to the site. www.sherlock.ca

I don't believe in making a bike undesirable to a thief. Bikes should be made so secure that they are untouchable. Scrotebag criminals shouldn't be choosing which bike to take or when to move on. For people who can't store their bike in Ultramax shitrat proof bunkers-:2guns :hangman
What do you think? Would you do this to your bike?

·
Waiting for the sun
502 Posts
I'm going for the GPS chip.
Although a heavy charge of C-4 and a remote activated detinator sounds really appealing too.

·
I'm hungry...
716 Posts
I think Wenniki had this done on her bike when she bought it. But when her bike got stolen, it was GONE. The etching only helps if someone parts out your bike and the buyer reports it.

I wouldn't do it, coz I'm too cheap to pay $400 for the etching. :p

·
That new bike smell
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would never pay $400.00 for parts etching! When I picked up the car it wasn't even a selling feature. The etching and database idea would be ideal if it was widespread and common knowledge. If my cage was stolen off the street and parted out it wouldn't be too much of a shock. If someone wanted to use your parts locally they would probably take the time to erase the numbers (trackbike frames?). Marking your stuff so you can identify it is still useful, but it's probably best to do it yourself.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,467 Posts
wasn't there an insurance company that carter dealt with where you pay $500 for a 5yr policy where if your bike gets stolen or written off you will get $5000 on top of what ICBC settle you out with.

·
blarg
100 Posts
Although a heavy charge of C-4 and a remote activated detinator sounds really appealing too.
I've often thought about that for when I finally get my bike... Wake up at 3am to hear my bike being started and rip down the street. Reach over to your detonator.... :D

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
They tried to sell me on the etching feature when I bought my Mazda3. They were very, very insistent that I should take the feature, and tried every possible ploy they had to make me buy it (right up to trying to tell me that it was "standard" and that I had to pay for it). I still declined.

When I picked up the car, I noticed that all the windows were already etched. Oh well, at least I didn't pay for it... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts