BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
it really just cleans up the look of the tail, but its supposed to slightly reduce drag much like a spoiler on a car...but really, it just looks better
 

·
Just Another Enthusiast
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
f41-2, they are actually called undertails and for some reason LP has given them some odd name. They have nothing to do with anti-draft or anything, it just makes your tail look more like a one piece. They do look nice, and if you do a search for undertails, you will find lots to choose from, but like you said, they are pricey. :)

You can also go to Hotbodies Racing and check them out.
 

·
ice cream poser
Joined
·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks pretty sweet actually. Hmm it includes an integrator kit plus bracket to mount the license. Does that mean I wouldn't need a fender elminator?

vrecksler said:
f41-2, they are actually called undertails and for some reason LP has given them some odd name. They have nothing to do with anti-draft or anything, it just makes your tail look more like a one piece. They do look nice, and if you do a search for undertails, you will find lots to choose from, but like you said, they are pricey. :)

You can also go to Hotbodies Racing and check them out.
 
G

·
f41-2, they are actually called undertails and for some reason LP has given them some odd name. They have nothing to do with anti-draft or anything
i know they dont really but they advertise it as though they do:

The Hot Bodies Anti-Draft Tail kit will improve the look and performance of your sportbike by lowering the drag coefficient and improving the aerodynamics of the tail section.
 

·
Just Another Enthusiast
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
f4i_2 said:
It looks pretty sweet actually. Hmm it includes an integrator kit plus bracket to mount the license. Does that mean I wouldn't need a fender elminator?

A fender eliminator, such as the one sold by CW, is used to replace the huge fenders that our bikes have. You can hack the fender yourself, and replace your stock signals with short stalks, and you get the same effect for a fraction of the price.

The integrator kit eliminates the signals all together, it allows your brake light to act as signal lights.

An undertail is basically a much fancier, better looking fender eliminator.

I hope this clears things up a bit. :)
 

·
ice cream poser
Joined
·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks vrecksler,

One thing I still don't get is then, with a fender elminiator you still have to hack the fender off right? Also, if I don't use one, how would one mount the license plate and short stalks?

Thanks!
vrecksler said:


A fender eliminator, such as the one sold by CW, is used to replace the huge fenders that our bikes have. You can hack the fender yourself, and replace your stock signals with short stalks, and you get the same effect for a fraction of the price.

The integrator kit eliminates the signals all together, it allows your brake light to act as signal lights.

An undertail is basically a much fancier, better looking fender eliminator.

I hope this clears things up a bit. :)
 

·
Just Another Enthusiast
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
f4i_2 said:
Thanks vrecksler,

One thing I still don't get is then, with a fender elminiator you still have to hack the fender off right? Also, if I don't use one, how would one mount the license plate and short stalks?

Thanks!
With the fender eliminator or undertail you do remove the fender, but I beleive you remove all of it so that the undertail can fit flush underneath. Then the bracket that comes with it becomes the location for mounting your plate and signal lights.

I am not entirely sure how your fender works, but it is probably similar to mine in which case I just cut the fender off leaving enough room to drill holes to mount the plate. Then I bolted the short stalks in the same holes that the stock signals used.

Check out the picture.
 

·
ice cream poser
Joined
·
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for clearing it up vrecks that pic helped a lot. Though at the undertail shown at hot bodies:

http://www.hotbodiesracing.com/html/F4I.php4

it sure as heck shows the whole freakin fender has been wiped out! Also, I don't see where you would mount the license plate in your pic, if you could point it out? I think I will go your way and save some $$

PS: Nice website, and nice grab on the jump :-D

vrecksler said:


With the fender eliminator or undertail you do remove the fender, but I beleive you remove all of it so that the undertail can fit flush underneath. Then the bracket that comes with it becomes the location for mounting your plate and signal lights.

I am not entirely sure how your fender works, but it is probably similar to mine in which case I just cut the fender off leaving enough room to drill holes to mount the plate. Then I bolted the short stalks in the same holes that the stock signals used.

Check out the picture.
:) :) :) :) :) :( :eek:
 
G

·
hey vrecksler, are those LP short stalk signals? I just ordered a pair and they look the same as in your pic. I hope so because those look really clean.
 

·
Just Another Enthusiast
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
f4i-2, you do lose the whole fender with the hotbodies undertail, and I am guessing most others. Your plate is mounted on a bracket that is included, just a simple metal U taht bolts to the underside of the tail. The plate attaches to the middle of the U, and the signals go to either side. Or you can mount your plate right behind the rear shock.

Most pics do not show the plate because it blocks a lot of the great looks of the undertail, which is why I decided to just hack the fender. And if you look under your tail, you already have kind of an undertail, if is just not colour matched. If you remove the whole piece (it is a big hunk of plastic that makes your battery tray and your trunk) you could have it painted, then hack your fender. I have seen pics of this and it does look great.

R6Rider, those are the LP shortstalk 3's. I really like them and despite their small size, they are actually quite bright. You will like them. :)
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top