BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious of how many people actually commute by bike everyday in lower mainland, how do you guys make it against the elements? Given winter weather, rain, hail…etc. I think there would be some interesting (horror?) stories! :)

W

·
0 Posts
I wear my rain gear, that reminds me I have a few holes to seal up now

·
Worst. Passenger. Ever.
943 Posts
i rode from march till late november last year daily. with decent gear it's not bad at all. i didnt find that weather had much affect on safety (eg i did not have more close calls in rain). it's just a matter of riding more cautiously around other commuters and taking weather/road conditions into account

·
Registered
183 Posts
I ride every day to work. It's not far and with the right gear the weather doesn't bother me much at all. In fact when it gets really shitty out I find most cagers give me more room (probably because they think I'm a nut!).

At least I'm not riding up to the North Shore on a Gixxer 1000 with new tires and leaky rain gear eh Scotty?

·
Ghost SV Rider
1,469 Posts
I used to commute... but I took the loser cruiser when it rained. I did get caught out a few times, and it wasn't bad. As said, take it easy. This time of the year is the worst. It's still very cold out in the morning and very slick. Just take it easy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I commute from Squamish to Vancouver. That is a great way to start your morning as there are very few cars at 05:00. If it is raining, I will usually take my car as I don't enjoy wet weather riding at all. It only takes one tar strip or what have you and your down, no thanks.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Got one here. I commute to school.

I wear my joe rocket ballistic pants (waterproof /w knee protection) and my nike waterproof jacket (windproof too). Having the right gear really makes the ride comfy. Oh yeah, a balaclava really helps too. Keeps your neck and head a bit warmer.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Liango_13 said:
I am just curious of how many people actually commute by bike everyday in lower mainland, how do you guys make it against the elements? Given winter weather, rain, hail…etc. I think there would be some interesting (horror?) stories! :)
I ride from UBC to SFU year around and used to do Cap college and work before that. Have been riding year around on a sport bike for 10 years. I wear rain gear, layers, electric vest and so forth. Over the years have developed a good eye for the road. But most important is to stay warm=keeps you alert!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Quick tip=stay off any metal surfaces, and painted lines. Go through intersections on tha right, and run your tires at about 30ish (maybe even less PSI) i use pilot powers. In the snow (up at SFU) use rear brake only, and make sure you have waterproof boots (i have alpinestars). Spray gear every 2 months, and lube chain and whipe fork tubes every rainy day. Also don't finger drivers or piss em off ...or smash mirrors off in the rain coz it's harder to get away!

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
I never whipe my fork tubes nor lube my chain every rainy day. I lube it every 600km and whenever it looks it could use some.

What is the benefit of whiping down forks?

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
coolio said:
I never whipe my fork tubes nor lube my chain every rainy day. I lube it every 600km and whenever it looks it could use some.

What is the benefit of whiping down forks?
if there's stuck on crap there, it could potentially destroy a fork seal

R

·
0 Posts
This morning was fun but yesterday was better. Nothing like a crosswind!
Everyday from Surrey to Aldergrove.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
I ride everyday that I can in Kamloops up until it snows, and even a few time in that.

I was already to ride this week, and it just snowed about 4~5 inches, so I have to wait another week.

If I lived in Vancouver, I would ride everyday, except for the day it snows, because drivers are crazy down there when it snows.

I will be getting either the Raodcrafter or Darien 2 pc suit this year. www.aerostich.com

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
I rode every day during the warmer months when I worked in Richmond (I live in Burnaby). But now that I live within 10 minutes of my office, I leave the bike for the evenings and weekends. Driving 10 minutes twice a day, 8 hours apart, would kill the engine if I did it all year. So now i'm back to being a (mostly) weekend rider.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Bora20 said:
...If I lived in Vancouver, I would ride everyday, except for the day it snows, because drivers are crazy down there when it snows...
sadly, the vancouver area drivers are crazy each and every day. :banghead

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
I commute from Surrey to UBC but it is not that bad, a little on the boring side but cheaper and more fun (even in the less than ideal conditions) than a car. Staying warm and dry makes all rides enjoyable for me, rain is only a big deal if you are wet and cold because then you tend to hurry to get home quicker. :)

·
Pixel Hustler since '88
82 Posts
I commute from Burnaby to Downtown almost everyday... I'll take the bus if there is too much snow... Been doing this for almost a year and a half... Rain's a bit annoying at first, but I just got used to it. My bikes my only mode of transportation now and I wouldn't want it any other way... Well... I guess a jet-pack or a magic carpet might be a good alternative, but I don't have any of those yet.

·
Trapped in Nutella shell
185 Posts
Been commuting from English Bay to South Richmond every single day this winter.
Rain no issue (I've got raingear and waterproof boots-but can't seem to find really waterproof gloves) but the wind really scares me, especially on the Oak street Bridge :surrender ( half the problem is the underdampened GS500' fork)
Almost got hit by a ladder that fell out of a SUV due to high winds on that bridge.
Today was baaad. Dry and nice weather @English Bay, snow and ice half way thru Richmond. I've never been as slow as this morning.
I hope I'm ready for the Road test on the 17th :thumbup

1 - 20 of 32 Posts