BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy one. What do you have and are you happy? What would you go for if you bought one again? Cheers.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I Got a used 8 man one a couple of years ago. I wouldn't want anything smaller, even for just 2 people.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Bought an 8 man as well from Coast Spas. Yes, I would buy one again, but I would build an enclosed building for it (or at least a roof) as cleaning the outside of the tub and cover is more work than keeping the inside clean.

Don't pay for the lights, don't pay for the neck jets, chose a seating design which gives you the most leg room (a round foot well in the bottom is actually the worst, look for a "L" shaped foot well).

Don't bother with the lounge chair style seating, unless you are 250lbs you will just float away and constantly be struggling to stay in one place.

Ozonater - don't bother.
Bromine or chlorine the jury is mixed which one is better.
Invest in the thicker cover and the metal bar which allows one person to remove the cover.

·
I do all my own stunts
3,295 Posts
damn frank, that's sweet advice. I just bought my first hot tub, I'm pretty excited :D

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
CDG said:
Bought an 8 man as well from Coast Spas. Yes, I would buy one again, but I would build an enclosed building for it (or at least a roof) as cleaning the outside of the tub and cover is more work than keeping the inside clean.
My dad built one into his deck, top of the tub level with the deck and a gazebo cover over top. Speakers built into the ceiling of the gazebo and you can step down into the hot tub. I use it everytime I go to my parents house, wicked setup and the roof makes the tub useable in any weather.

·
Test Pilot
95 Posts
CDG said:

Don't pay for the lights, don't pay for the neck jets, chose a seating design which gives you the most leg room (a round foot well in the bottom is actually the worst, look for a "L" shaped foot well).

Don't bother with the lounge chair style seating, unless you are 250lbs you will just float away and constantly be struggling to stay in one place.

Ozonater - don't bother.
Bromine or chlorine the jury is mixed which one is better.
Invest in the thicker cover and the metal bar which allows one person to remove the cover.
I Agree. Great Advice. I have a 6 man Beachcomber Hottub.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! I am thinking of one from Arctic spas, but I heard beachcomber was also a very good company. Those of you that have the following companies, what model did you end up buying from them? Also is it an 8 man or a 6-8? Also, Frank, you mentioned a round foot well in the bottom is actually the worst, look for a "L" shaped foot well. They all seem to be round... ish. What model do you have? Cheers S.
Beachcomber
Coast
Other

·
Redrex
829 Posts
dont forget o get one that is user friendly for repairs.can you get behind the panels with out cutting the shit out of it ? can you get at the pump?I got mine from cal coast spas and couldnt get at a leak with out them quoting a grand.Good old skill saw and some pipe cement and was good as new after I did the work for parts 45 bucks.But i still love it and its been 10 years.and just a leak.cheers drink beer .O dont get a roof over it ....nicer when its raining or snowing on you.And the girls like the STARS.hehe.

M

·
0 Posts
its all dependant on several things
A. how much you use it
B. your temp
C. ambient temp
D. cover
E. how much you use the cover

Other things will be manufacturer dependant such as insulation (no doubt that some models/brands will hold heat better than others), and some will most likely have more efficient heating systems.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I bought a used 1990's 5 man tub that 110-120 v.
I don't recomend them however and in the future I will replace it with a 220 v unit.

2 probs with 110 v
- the water pump has 2 speeds circulation and high speed. (during high speed the heat shuts off)
- power consumtion is higher.

The tub is outdoors and to reduce the cost of power I bought a 5 " thick cover and a fully enclosed tent to keep the heat in during use plus it acts as a wind breaker (winter time)
During the summer I take down the plastic side walls and use only a mosquito netting.

D

·
0 Posts
pete, when we were looking at your wiring, wasn't that motor 120/240? if so, let's change it, and redo the feed into the panel.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
no actually in the end I found out that the "extra wire" was for the 2nd speed and the other prob would be the heater its still a 120 v only. Which is the real issue cause it draws something like 8 amps and then you add the motor draw... together under circ and heat its something like 12 amp.

D

·
0 Posts
well, we can always wire the element 240. it will just heat up SUPER fast :D

i remember testing the loads on the heater and motor when we figured it out, and how the pump circuit would shut off the heat circuit.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Fuggin awsome "backyard" ingenuity
Looks correct as well, for where that guy lives (southern states)
Only small thing would be the insualtion factor would have to be tripled
from top to bottom for life here in B.C.

As great as Canada is... it's cold as a whitch's tit

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought a tub from Arctic Spas 2 years ago. I can't remember which model, the Cub I think. 2 pumps I think 3HP each, has 6 seating positions including lounger but getting more than 3 people in it is tight in the footwell.

Anyway the only problem I have had with the tub so far is that the strainer style cover for the pump inlet busted off, they came out and fixed it promptly, covered under the 5 yr warranty :rockon

In terms of operating costs, I tend to spend about $100 on supplies every 4-6 months, keep it at a constant 102 degrees with a 5" thick cover and electicity bill went up by $25 in the winter, in the summer the sun heats it to 104 on a good hot day.

If you have Kids... be prepared for them to invite there friends over, and make them all pee before they get in the tub :laughing

I would definetly reccomend Arctic Spas in Coquitlam. Feel free to PM if you need any more info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts