BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been suffering with the symptoms of a concussion for some time now. Symptoms are too difficult to handle while riding. My heads foggy and I trouble focusing. Not much I can do. Troublesome getting back to doing what I love. Been off of work as well. Anyone have an ideas of what to do? My doctors no help. Really hoping to get back on the road.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
I’m dealing with the same thing.
Time mostly and my Physio give me movement exercises for my eyes and head.
Most of the ppl practicing at Catalyst Kinetics group have experience dealing with concussions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
swimming helped for me.. but it was slow and not just because i had a concussion,
but other symptoms resulting from whip-lash aka neck/shoulder issues.

when i was going through the concussion symptoms, i just did not ride.

i had foggyness, easy to anger when slightly provoked, stress, hard to focus, etc.

all the good stuff, time is the only true healer I have found. Sometimes it just
takes time, its trauma in every sense of the word. Vertigo at 3am with the lights
out was the absolute worse, lasted fvcking forever, feeling a bit better now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a chiropractor but don't specialize too much in mTBI's/head injuries as there's not enough evidence for how my hands on approach to soft tissues can help with cognitive deficits.

Where I refer all my concussed patients to is a specialty clinic in Surrey that deals with acute and chronic concussion cases. www.snpc.tech is their website if you want to give them a call and just see if it'd be a good fit. I highly recommend you don't just go to any physio clinic.

They have a research division of their company as well, so they are incorporating the latest evidence based technology into their assessments and treatments and all my patients have glowing reviews about them. I've also gotten to know their lead physiotherapist there quite well and she is an expert in this field.

Let me know if I can offer any more advice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
swimming helped for me.. but it was slow and not just because i had a concussion,
but other symptoms resulting from whip-lash aka neck/shoulder issues.

when i was going through the concussion symptoms, i just did not ride.

i had foggyness, easy to anger when slightly provoked, stress, hard to focus, etc.

all the good stuff, time is the only true healer I have found. Sometimes it just
takes time, its trauma in every sense of the word. Vertigo at 3am with the lights
out was the absolute worse, lasted fvcking forever, feeling a bit better now.
Have you had a neurofeedback scan done?

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
sorry, dont know who you are.. not responding other than.

Does neurofeedback actually work?
Authors of a 2016 study noted that, while neurofeedback is noninvasive, available evidence has not proven its effectiveness. In addition, they wrote: “It is expensive, time-consuming and its benefits are not long-lasting. Also, it might take months to show the desired improvements.”Oct 9, 2018

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry, dont know who you are.. not responding other than.

Does neurofeedback actually work?
Authors of a 2016 study noted that, while neurofeedback is noninvasive, available evidence has not proven its effectiveness. In addition, they wrote: “It is expensive, time-consuming and its benefits are not long-lasting. Also, it might take months to show the desired improvements.”Oct 9, 2018
Based on subjective feedback from my clients, they really enjoy it. I would argue that it is not expensive as there are many other available treatments that are far more expensive. The program, from my understanding, is standard PT/OT rates as for any acute type treatment, and the device is a couple hundred bucks. I'm sure many have spent much more on things that are "get better quick schemes".

Just speaking with regards to anecdotal evidence.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Just for interests sake. What kind of bikes is everyone in this thread riding?

Fz1 and wr400 myself. Both older but very capable machines.

I suffered a mild concussion earlier this year in the spring. I just rested quite a bit for the first 5-6 days and progressively over the next few weeks rapidly improved until I feel the effects have been minimal. Scary shit banging the old noggin. Mine wasn't motorcycle related.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,208 Posts
As a road racer who has seen and have had many many friends suffer from concussion, the only thing that seems to work is time. This is brain injury and trauma. There is not that much that can be done, other than time and being very careful to not cause further trauma. Sadly, sometimes, it can take up to 5 years to feel normal after a concussion. Usually, it's between 1 and 2 years.

Reactions: bacchus40

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
As a road racer who has seen and have had many many friends suffer from concussion, the only thing that seems to work is time. This is brain injury and trauma. There is not that much that can be done, other than time and being very careful to not cause further trauma. Sadly, sometimes, it can take up to 5 years to feel normal after a concussion. Usually, it's between 1 and 2 years.
as posted above.. yep

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would strongly disagree. There is tons of evidence supporting retraining the vestibular system to help with things like sensitivity to visual stimuli, balance, and the proprioceptive system. Yes, you cannot physically heal the brain except let time do its thing, but if you can improve your sensitivity to triggers, why wouldn't you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts