BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
tripledad
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a gps device and wondered what the community at large has to say regarding ease of use and reliabilty etc.
am thinking of getting the Tom Tom Rider 2nd edition

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have a TomTom (130 model I believe?) It's about as basic as you get. I drive a service truck and getting from job to job is alot safer and stress free by having the GPS do the "work" of reading a map. I know other higher end models do fancier stuff (constantly read off distances to turns, read off streets, play loaded music etc). Mine has been reliable, no brake downs.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
i bought a garmin 765t it doesnt cost $900. more like $200.
has mp3 blue tooth 3d mapping lane assist... etc
it has alot of the features.
garmin is moving away from mp3 players in their units.. so these units are disapearing.i bought cradle and ram mounts and hardwire, the 765t is not waterproof but a plastic bag and twist tie work. :)

good luck

visit gpscity on line.

·
tripledad
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Searched gps and got nothing

I guess I am trying to get a sense on the main differences between tom tom and garmin

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
I have always used Garmin's
They are cheap,easy to hack and simple to use.
Don't waste money an a so called motorcycle gps unless you plan on riding in the rain all the time.

·
+1
2,281 Posts
GPS are solid state there arn't any moving pieces so nothing should hurt them.

Highly suggest a garmin 70x/80x series for multi-destination tracking and easy hacking $100-$200. You'll spend 5x as much for a dedicated motorcycle gps probably compromising features.

Lots of info on this forum.

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
I guess I am trying to get a sense on the main differences between tom tom and garmin
Well...if I was buying a "car" gps, for a bike, which I have, several times, I would buy a TomTom.

I have played extensively with both TomTom & Garmin, and like the TomTom more....faster, better routing IMO, and one thing I do a fair bit of, searching for POI's...leaves Garmin in the dust, no comparison.

Garmin is easier to get hacked maps, but there are more third party apps for TomTom.

All that said, I have Garmin now for my bike, but it's not a car type unit....for that, I have my TomTom.

·
tripledad
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you all for all the input.
not sure if I have any better understanding or maybe I am more confused than ever
cheers all

·
Super Moderator
23,558 Posts
Search won't work if you search for less than 4 characters :(.
I can punch in a whole name, and it either takes, what seems like forever, or does not have the POI in the database.

I used the Garmin and TomTom back to back for a few months, and this feature, which I personally use a lot, sucked on the Garmin....it's so fast on the TomTom, they really can't be compared.

I have played with newer and more expensive/up-featured models in stores, many times, to see if it's improved...it hasn't.

Now, that's just one feature of course, but it's one I use in the car, a fair bit.

On the bike, I mostly care about custom routing capabilities, and a screen that can be seen clearly in the sun.....neither of the car units worked very well in that regard.

If you have a bike, where the screen can be hidden from the sun, or shielded somehow, you're lucky.

·
:D
2,281 Posts
I can punch in a whole name, and it either takes, what seems like forever, or does not have the POI in the database.

I used the Garmin and TomTom back to back for a few months, and this feature, which I personally use a lot, sucked on the Garmin....it's so fast on the TomTom, they really can't be compared.

I have played with newer and more expensive/up-featured models in stores, many times, to see if it's improved...it hasn't.

Now, that's just one feature of course, but it's one I use in the car, a fair bit.

On the bike, I mostly care about custom routing capabilities, and a screen that can be seen clearly in the sun.....neither of the car units worked very well in that regard.

If you have a bike, where the screen can be hidden from the sun, or shielded somehow, you're lucky.
Um, I think he meant searching BCSB... :laughing

·
Registered
726 Posts
OP: what's your budget? Why (touring, mainly city driving, riding, ..) you need gps?
I have 2 gps devices at the moment. Garmin 265wt (almost same features as 765t but with a slower gps chip) and Tom Tom on iPhone.

If your budget is around $200 then maybe you can buy a used iPhone (jailbroken or jailbreak it yourself) on craigslist and get (use your friend circle for help) Tom Tom on it. This way you are getting a smart phone, mp3 player, web connectivity etc for the same price as a new GPS device. With iPhone it might be easier to upgrade or entirely change your GPS software.

In downtown east side you can probably get a gps for under 50bucks. I don't venture out there though.

·
No the pic is not me
930 Posts
If your budget is around $200 then maybe you can buy a used iPhone (jailbroken or jailbreak it yourself) on craigslist and get (use your friend circle for help) Tom Tom on it.
What do you mean "use your friend circle"? I know you can get someone else to sign into their app store on your phone and re-download apps onto your phone, but I thought that was sort of restricted to apps that didn't update very often. Is that what you were referring to?

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
Tom Tom for ease of use and accuracy. I also have a PMP that has a GPS program on it called IGo 8 and it works pretty darn good also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts