BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and Harps were riding back home from Richmond at around 8. (I love that tunnel on the way to the North Shore. 3rd gear everytime) We noticed a major wreck south bound at the end of the 2nd narrows. 1 car totalled and smashed up against a guardrail. Another nestled snuggly in a car sandwich.

A couple hours later at like 10 or 11, I went by again and the cops were taking pictures of the scene. I heard something having to do with racing and hitting innocent drivers.

Anybody know what happened?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I heard on the radio this morning it was another 'racing' incident. One guy is in custody with an International drivers license. :(

When is it going to stop?

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
International Drivers License. Bah. God damn Kracker Jack license.

I drive a fairly riced up FORD. And I am terrified once it goes back on the road. I'm gonna be a freakin' heat score. Thanks 18 year old rich kids with spoon stickers on their cars.

D

·
0 Posts
i guess its time to produce my kracker jack license video to show how kids really get their licenses in BC.

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
:firemad Damn that ticks me off!....The whole lot of us (the good drivers) are paying for all this stupid racing and gunho attitudes these people do. Sooner or later they'll ban night driving all together!!!!:mad

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
Two options...put a governor on all cars driven by knew drivers, or change the driving age limit higher!...though i am sure someone would still figure out knock the governor off!!!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I've always been a fan of switching the driving age and the drinking age.

That way you get the goofy drinking over with, and it gives them 3 more years to mature before hurling a large piece of metal down the road.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Sewman said:
Me and Harps were riding back home from Richmond at around 8. (I love that tunnel on the way to the North Shore. 3rd gear everytime) We noticed a major wreck south bound at the end of the 2nd narrows. 1 car totalled and smashed up against a guardrail. Another nestled snuggly in a car sandwich.

A couple hours later at like 10 or 11, I went by again and the cops were taking pictures of the scene. I heard something having to do with racing and hitting innocent drivers.

Anybody know what happened?
Whoa! I didn't know that's what happened. :mad I hate those guys...they're really ruining it for the rest of us.

Thanks for conveniently not mentioning how fast WE were going just before we saw the accident. :D

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
You know, back in Montreal, they actually have Wrecked cars from drunk drivers killed or people that have raced and smashed, located in different parts of the city. Mainly in areas where accidents are more prone of happenning. Believe it or not, when you see these cars and the shape they are in, and how horrible the accident, it makes you think about it. Maybe they should have cars like that on show, specially near highschools, where most of these new drivers start. Maybe that will make them realise that cars are not there to protect them, but can kill them.

D

·
0 Posts
talked to a guy at work that saw it. 4 cars. one honda standing on end or on its side or something. a mini van accordianed. he said it was a very serious accident. couldn't find anything in the newspapers on it. i can sort of understand with the death of our soldiers making front page, but they ignore the crash and print a blurb about some moron MP siezing the mace in parliament? big deal.

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
Big Jim said:

That way you get the goofy drinking over with, and it gives them 3 more years to mature before hurling a large piece of metal down the road.

Jim.

your only saying that cause your over 19. it's a been there done that thing. Now that i look back on it i agree with you but when i was 16, i couldn't wait till i had my driver's license. AND I turned 19 last summer so i just started to do the 'other' stupid shit like going clubbing and stuff

S

·
0 Posts
Something should be done, but not raising the age limit for driving. I think the racing is a combination of wealth, culture and family/social values.

I grew up in the interior, and having a drivers license was needed. We didn't have buses, and there were long distances between houses, schools, towns, etc. 6 months of damn cold weather... You need the transportation. I saw something in the paper the other week, a quote by BC's Solicitor General. He also commented on raising the age limit for driving. Please, when you think about raising the age limit, don't forget the province's geographically challenged teenagers!

sluggo

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Big Jim said:

Jim.
At least they can do something fun until they're old enough to drive.:D

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
perhaps the best thing to do is to get the kids who have survived tragic accidents where friends have past away due to carelessness, speeding, racing and drinking and driving, go to schools and tell their story, and explain the dangers. I am pretty sure that 90% of those people would not do what they did again. i believe these people have a bigger affect on the younger generation than parents, and they might be able to make a difference.
I have been to a conference where a 19 year old (at the time) was involved in a accident due to drinking and driving. She put us through the accident and the looks on people faces said it all.
Another thing is also the responsibilty of parents to limit use of cars to "new" drivers. Especially those parents who go and buy expensive sport cars for their kids. Had one the other day...Kid comes in, 20 years old, had a S2000, fooling around he flipped it twice, and was lucky he got out alive, so what do the parents do...go buy him another one.:confused
I am sure this will be a long time til something is done about street racing and recklessness, and someday the government willl take it in their own hands to really make some changes where we'll all suffer the consequences.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
bugs said:
perhaps the best thing to do is to get the kids who have survived tragic accidents where friends have past away due to carelessness, speeding, racing and drinking and driving, go to schools and tell their story, and explain the dangers. I am pretty sure that 90% of those people would not do what they did again. i believe these people have a bigger affect on the younger generation than parents, and they might be able to make a difference.
I have been to a conference where a 19 year old (at the time) was involved in a accident due to drinking and driving. She put us through the accident and the looks on people faces said it all.
Another thing is also the responsibilty of parents to limit use of cars to "new" drivers. Especially those parents who go and buy expensive sport cars for their kids. Had one the other day...Kid comes in, 20 years old, had a S2000, fooling around he flipped it twice, and was lucky he got out alive, so what do the parents do...go buy him another one.:confused
I am sure this will be a long time til something is done about street racing and recklessness, and someday the government willl take it in their own hands to really make some changes where we'll all suffer the consequences.

yeah i remember when i was in highschool we had people come in and talk about drinking and driving. a girl had her twin sister killed by a drunk driver. it was a pretty emotional thing. i dont drink and drive :rolleyes .. it'd probably be beneficial if people will come in and talk about the dangers of speeding. but for it to work few things must be done
a) increase the speed limits - coz nobody does em! I was on hwy#1 today; posted speed limit 100 - everyone is going 140!
b) provide easily accessible tracks. speed is fun.. make it reasonably safe though.
otherwise people just come out as hyppocrites! "Dont speed, don't race!" and you go out on the street and you see everyone going crazy..

D

·
0 Posts
its not a matter of age limits, its a matter of experience. a new driver has no right to be in a 5.0l mustang or anything of that nature. not until they have a few years experience in something more managable. in england you are not allowed a large displacement car or bike for that matter until you have several years experience. same with australia. can't jump on anything bigger than a 250 for your first two years. a 30 yr new driver should undergo the same restrictions as a 16 yr old new driver.

and sorry, but government run insurance doesn't discriminate, and hence discourage, so anyone can just go out and get whatever they want to drive. in any insurance system, you should pay thru the nose until you prove you are competant behind a wheel. in a private run system, you screw up your rates SHOULD skyrocket. i paid thru the nose for insurance when i was a kid because i was in the exact age group that was proven to be the worst offenders. the motto should not be "affordable insurance for all" because johny 17 yr old wrapping the 'stang around a pole makes my insurance unaffordable. i have been driving 18 years claim free. why should my rates go up to subsidize all the rookies out there?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a few ideas to this,

Raise the driving age to 17 or 18, but let them get their licence when they are 16 (learners only and they have to have a licensed an adult with them.)

Put them on a one year probation, if they are cought with ANY infraction, suspend their licen for 6 months and tack that to the end of their probation. (ie. 1 yr prob. into it for 3 months leaving them 9 to go, they get ticket for anything they loost it for 6 months AND that gets added to the end of their probation giving them now 15 months probation.). If they do not learn the third time around. So sad too bad you loose your license for good.

It must be put accross to young drivers that this stupidity is not tollerated on the roads. Everyone who does a squidly move on the roads makes the good drivers/riders look bad. I use to get attitude from othe drivers when I was drivng my bors Mustang (a [email protected]@ken 6 clinder Mustang but it looks like a 5.0) I've gotten attitude towards riding my bike, I've even gotten into arguments about being just another stupid lane splittin, shoulder passing asshole. He belived me when I got off the bike and started to walk to his car (stuck in traffic) and tried to open the door and beat him.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Big Jim said:

Jim.
Sure get drunk at 16 and not drive till 19 that works for me as well. good point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts