BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about geting a set of those helmet headphones, and plug them into an ipod. But im not sure if it would be all that safe, I wouldnt be able to hear the traffic as well. On the other hand, i cant hear that well in my helmet already. Does anybody here do it?

R

·
0 Posts
Try'ed it 2, dont recomend it. I found that when a good song
came on, i wanted to ride faster! and if an ear bud comes loose,
or the sound is not load enough, it becomes an abstraction away
from other drivers that dont care about bikes. Try to use any
extra senses u have to stay alert.!! Most of us have cars, and
when we drive most daydreams or are still sleeping, its not like
riding, being alert every second. I would not do it agian., Twice
was to many.

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
I think highway driving listen to music is absolutly fine, the wind makes more noise than the head phones anyways you can't even hear anything around you period. In city areas it is a little bit differn't, i wouldn't wear them in city areas.

·
Sex Appeal
1,560 Posts
I think highway driving listen to music is absolutly fine, the wind makes more noise than the head phones anyways you can't even hear anything around you period. In city areas it is a little bit differn't, i wouldn't wear them in city areas.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I tried it but didn't like it. I found it was more annoying than anything.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yes.
I have a set of Airider speakers in my head (helmet), in conjunction with
my XM and other stuff.
I can wear earplugs, listen to music, or conversation over the CB, and still hear the traffic just fine. The quieter, softer sounds are obviously eradicated.
I suspect some individuals who haven't tried it, will say "can't hear road noise," aren't that familiar with it.
Example: if you're standing in a room talking to someone, do you really not hear that someone has walked in and says hello, then begins a conversation with another person in the room?
Quite simply, you can hear outside noise, the handicap that you *may* have to deal with is the attention required for each 'set of noises.'
Frankly, I still believe you hear less traffic noise in a car, than on a motorcycle with speakers in your helmet.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
michael said:
Yes.
I have a set of Airider speakers in my head (helmet), in conjunction with
my XM and other stuff.
I can wear earplugs, listen to music, or conversation over the CB, and still hear the traffic just fine. The quieter, softer sounds are obviously eradicated.
I suspect some individuals who haven't tried it, will say "can't hear road noise," aren't that familiar with it.
Example: if you're standing in a room talking to someone, do you really not hear that someone has walked in and says hello, then begins a conversation with another person in the room?
Quite simply, you can hear outside noise, the handicap that you *may* have to deal with is the attention required for each 'set of noises.'
Frankly, I still believe you hear less traffic noise in a car, than on a motorcycle with speakers in your helmet.
Agreed, now can you please tell me where you bought your helmet speakers from?

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
It can be a bit akward to get used to - riding while listening to music. I'll listen to my iPod while on the highway from time to time, but for me, it somehow detracts or at least distracts from the Zen experience of motorcycling; meaning being in touch with the bike and the road.

I bought a pair of Sure in-ear earphones (like ear plugs but with speakers). They work okay but it helps to have a quieter helmet to begin with.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Mark Reis, outside of Seattle.
He's a genius when it comes to motorcycle communications.
[email protected].
425 335 1296
He's gruff, but no one has put together more systems for motorcycles than he has, and for the most discerning of riders, a few are on this forum.
I have yet to find an Airider dealer in Canada.
Another source is Sierra Electronics
www.sierra-mc.com
I haven't purchased from them, but they sell the product.
Or there's always the manufacturer themselves (geez, I might have to do a Canadian dealer search....)
http://airrider.com

·
The Band-Aid Bike
212 Posts
bimmerdude said:
I was thinking about geting a set of those helmet headphones, and plug them into an ipod. But im not sure if it would be all that safe, I wouldnt be able to hear the traffic as well. On the other hand, i cant hear that well in my helmet already. Does anybody here do it?
i just use the regular buds that come with the ipod. they work fine for me. although i do think i'm gonna go get headphones with volume control...

W

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't recommend ear buds cause you run the risk of not hearing traffic around you as I tried. What I did do though was hook up a waterproof Walkman to my handlebars then ran the line out to a 75 watt amp and a couple of 6x9's in my delivery box. Effing awsome up to 100 kays then the windblast drowns out sound so I shut off system for concentrated riding as Freewheel Burning does tend to make you wanna let rip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I save the tunes for the car, when I pull away on the bike, this is all part of what I want to leave behind. Besides, I usually wear earplugs when riding, bikes pretty loud with the 2 bros pipe, plus wind noise. I would have to crank the tunes to hear them, my hearings pretty fcuked up from working in construction for fifteen years.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts