BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Ohlins NIX 30 cartridges coming and I'm going to pair them with a set of Ohlins springs.

How did you go about selecting your spring rate and what kind of difference did you feel compared to your stock suspension?

I have Showa BPF forks and they're already pretty good in stock form but I blew a fork seal and upgrading.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I did Andreani internals in my Sachs separate function forks.
I stayed with the stock spring rate, and went off of the oil recommendations that came from Andreani.
They're more plush than the stock internals, all while feeling more planted and confidence inspiring.
win-win.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
i will likely be upgrading to Ohlins NIX 30 on my R1, assuming i have any money left after the engine work.

i run Ohlins Fork Piston kit currently on stock forks and i went with RaceTech springs.
Ohlins FPK is an affordable option / offers improvement over stock, but the NIX CARTS are on another level entirely.

if i'm not mistaken there are recommendations out there for every bike there is, i would imagine there is a calculator similar to RT's own website?

Best bet is to contact The Thermosman if you want a true expert's opinion :coffee

he helped me out in the past when i had questions regarding the big black art of suspension tuning. :D

here's a pretty damn good start: its right in par with what i have found on RT fork springs :lurking

Ohlins Fork Springs For 30MM Cartridge Kit

Spring Rate Recommendations For Rider Weight With Gear. Ideally you want to run as soft a spring as possible, but be careful with the pogo stick effect :laughing

145 lbs to 160 lbs 9.0/9.0 Nmm
150 lbs to 175 lbs 9.0/9.5 Nmm
175 lbs to 195 lbs 9.5/9.5 Nmm
185 lbs to 200 lbs 9.5/10.0 Nmm
195 lbs to 220 lbs 10.0/10.0 Nmm
210 lbs to 235 lbs 10.0/10.5 Nmm
230 lbs to 255 lbs 10.5/10.5 Nmm
245 lbs to 270 lbs 10.5/11.0 Nmm
above 260 lbs 11.0/11.0 Nmm

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on! I appreciate the spring table. I couldn't find an Ohlins one online. Racetech has theirs of course but I've been told that it produces rates that can be a little too high.

Interesting comment about the Ohlins piston kit that you're running. I couldn't find any such kit from Ohlins when searching and was seriously considering an Andreani piston kit which would've save me a ton over Ohlins cartridges. I probably would've gone with an Ohlins piston kit if I knew it was an option. Maybe they just don't make one for my fork. I also considered an Andreani cartridge kit but it felt wrong because my bike already has an Ohlins steering damper and I want to unify the entire suspension with an Ohlins shock down the road.

I'm having trouble envisioning a more plush feel while at the same time feeling more planted but I'm pretty excited to experience it! I always upgrade the suspension on my cars and I'm so used to stiffer being more predictable.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
hey no worries, you can thank BAYSIDE performance for that one.. they have OHLINS packages on sale, NIX 30mm Carts & GPShock at a pretty good deal.

I have discussed it at length with boys who take their bikes to the track and you're better off with the carts.. maintenance ease is one of the big
reasons of course, but apparently the Fork Piston Kit wouldnt get you out of novice on yer average eastern usa tracks.

I have seen them available for a few bikes, i'm not sure what year your ZX10R is..

These little puppies are awaesome! its all in the valving, adjustment range will double compared to stock :thumbup

i personally bought it 'cause a good friend of mine found out regarding its 'limitations' after purchasing, then found a deal on full on forks.

I dont mind them at all on the street, and i have also upgraded to a RT Gold-Valve on the rear shock.

in regards to the springs, with ohlins carts you have no choice, need to run ohlins springs. But the RT springs are manufactured
by EIBACH, which is the best spring manufacturer in the world, you are probably familiar with them coming from the 4 wheeled side of things..

what you described is exactly what you get, way more plush and compliant, smooth while being razor sharp and offers a planted feel..
Predictability is how we can push our bikes the way we do, you just know exactly where the front end is at all times and know that
'ohh fvck' line has been moved way the fvck out into an area you are less likely to venture into, at least on the street.

but like i said, you should do your research via Thermosman, he'll be able to tell you weather a certain spring will work for your weight,
calculators are just that.. the numbers can lie to you, I had the same trouble with my R1 at 1st, springs i was recommended were too soft :laughing

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
edit on above: just caught you're on an 2013, i dont see them listed for your bike.. probably 'cause they're BPF Forks..

Superbike Unlimited has them listed for the 08-10 zx10R, and zx14R '12 to '14..

i did see the Andreani piston kit for the 2011-? ZX10R but it only offers compression damping. :(

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I also considered an Andreani cartridge kit but it felt wrong because my bike already has an Ohlins steering damper and I want to unify the entire suspension with an Ohlins shock down the road.
Mine is Andreani forks, Ohlins shock, Sachs Steering damper. All of the were the best bang for the buck option. As long as both ends can be matched for your weight, riding style, and road then i dont think the brand matters.
Lots of great options out there other than Ohlins, and almost all of them dont have the Ohlins maintenance demands/needs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be honest, I wanted the Ohlins products for the bling factor. People recognize the brand and I know I can always get service and re-sell it later on down the road. I've read great things about Nitron and if they had more presence in N. America I would've seriously considered them.

I'm not familiar with Thermosman but I've been taking my bike to RMR every couple years to get the suspension dialed in and I'll get them to put the fork together for me.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
Mike Fitzgerald aka Thermosman = https://www.thermosman.com/our-digits

Ohlins USA Road-Race manager back in the day :coffee

Mike "Thermosman" Fitzgerald left the employ of Öhlins USA Inc. somewhere around April 1, 2011. (I don't remember the exact date) He is once again operating Thermosman Suspension as an independent dealer of suspension products. He can be reached at 770-500-6445.

the boys with Ohlins products send theirs to Mike for rebuilds and he's always available for a good chat, advice. :flashy

he helped me tune my FPK Ohlins valves with some great advice, even provided a couple of shims for free!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
To be honest, I wanted the Ohlins products for the bling factor. People recognize the brand and I know I can always get service and re-sell it later on down the road. I've read great things about Nitron and if they had more presence in N. America I would've seriously considered them.

I'm not familiar with Thermosman but I've been taking my bike to RMR every couple years to get the suspension dialed in and I'll get them to put the fork together for me.

takes a lot these days for a vancouver rider to come out and say that kind of thing.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
nothing wrong with bling.. i dont think it makes much of a difference in the long run really.. if you're new to the game
it may sway you one way or the other but for the rest of us. High end suspension is exactly that :coffee

i have heard some very good things regarding Nitrons R2 shock.

·
Original Pirate Material
1,063 Posts
Another supporter of Nitron. Was very happy with mine, very well built, plush, and well thought-out bits and bobs. Cheaper than an Ohlins with similar specs as well. Also consider that they're a UK brand, and so there may be a chance that your money will go further in the near future if ordering direct...

·
Registered
368 Posts
nothing wrong with bling.. i dont think it makes much of a difference in the long run really.. if you're new to the game
it may sway you one way or the other but for the rest of us. High end suspension is exactly that :coffee

i have heard some very good things regarding Nitrons R2 shock.
im not saying it's bad... and i do love bling.. but most people like to stand behind it and say it's oem or the best, moto gp uses it etc... but i reckon most people do it for the reasons he says.. cuz it's yellow and people will look at it, know it and like it..

and like you said.. at the end of the day they are pretty much the same. but i prefer the niche bling.

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
I've got a Nitron on the back of my ZX-14R. Very nice bit of kit. Super happy with the shock itself. Just have to lower the rear ride height a bit, not so much for handling, which is great, but for sound ergonomics. I have a terrible buffeting issue from raising the rear height too much, and it has most certainly given me some hearing loss from it. I ride with plugs too. 10 of 10 would purchase again for any bike I ride.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
and like you said.. at the end of the day they are pretty much the same. but i prefer the niche bling.
most of what i meant is regarding resale value and such.. i would say its always easier to sell an item which didnt cost as much :laughing

I'm also taking into account the timing, its 2019 now.. 7 or 8 years ago it was a different story.
this thread is merely 10 days old and look at how many posts there are noting 1st hand experience with Nitron.

by the time OP actually decides to sell his Ohlins yellow, i bet those numbers will be way higher.. :D

and thats just ONE manufacturer, there are several players in the field now.. not just shocks but cartridge kits and complete aftermarket forks.i just dont think folks are sitting there typing Ohlins into the search field when they're looking for 'suspension'.. search criteria is too small for the current / future market..

Ohlins themselves keep releasing new technology here and there and every time it seems they shit on their own past products.. thats a little odd to me.

·
track hack
1,993 Posts
In my experience suspension upgrades over top spec OEM stuff like on the OP's ZX10R are a funny thing.

#1 - the Showa forks will quite likely work as well or BETTER than Ohlins stuff for 90% of the ride, and the Swedish bling will only noticeably outperform it under VERY abusive conditions like track days/racing/extremely fast riding on bad roads when stock stuff can get overwhelmed - the biggest upgrade top shelf boingers offer is consistency, followed closely by adjustability. High end OEM stuff is consistent until taken to a point like mentioned earlier, and also has adjustability however not as fine or wide of a range as aftermarket of course.

#2 - the "Butt Dyno" effect we all fall for - aka put on a slip on and in some cases LOSE power or possibly only gain at the very top end yet ask the rider and he/she will swear up and down the bike is now an absolute beast compared to before. Afterall, all that extra noise MUST mean more power, right??? :) Suspension is similar, if we know we are on the best stuff then magically our minds tell us things like "wow it's soooo much more compliant" but a suspension dyno usually proves otherwise. Confidence is important so I do agree that in this regard it's a huge bonus. Every friend, fellow rider I've ever ridden with that upgrades their suspension has it set for them and then 99% of them never change it from that setting, rendering the adjustability upgrade useless. I'm the same - find a range that feels nice - donzo. At best I have a track setting then a street setting but that's about it.

Bacchus mentions a Fork Piston Kit being all but useless - I used it to win a class championship in the U.S. and thought it was damn near on par with my Ohlins 25mm Cart Kit on my next bike after I sold that one.

Also agree with the OP - I sold a bike with a Penske double clicker and GP Suspension FPK in the forks and both lower mainland riders who contacted me about it said "Man I wish it was Ohlins, it's the best you know!" LOLOL...

(disclaimer - this is a TOTALLY different discussion when comparing lower spec OEM stuff and older machinery.)

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
i agree with some of the comments above .. it is very true the placebo effect is in full effect with most of these things.

folks i know who know their stuff went with cartridges due to ease of maintenance over their oem counterparts.

and yes i think its absolutely hilarious everybody brags about adjust-ability this and range, options that..

then the story reads : package arrived, drive it out to a shop where your bike awaits.. please install these and set it up for me.
Thank you!!.. said shop NEVER hears from them again, except for fluid changes every two or three years...

every single time, they just return click settings to where they were when 1st installed.. :coffee
I have actually enjoyed making little adjustments here n' there even when i've found a setting i'm happy with.

I would suspect road riding could be a little different though as at the track you can depend on the riding surface more often than not.

Bacchus mentions a Fork Piston Kit being all but useless - I used it to win a class championship in the U.S. and thought it was damn near on par with my Ohlins 25mm Cart Kit on my next bike after I sold that one.
not exactly what i meant.. comments come from friends who own the EXACT same bike as I do and only RIDE TRACK!!
which is to say, if you own an FPK Ohlins on another bike, maybe its not the exact same result? or maybe you riding
against a weaker field ? LOL.. also, saying it was damn near on par with another bike's upgraded suspension,
isnt really saying much. Another rider may feel slightly different should other variables also change.

It seems different riders have varying opinions. i've been told said piston kit is great for the most part
but wont stand up to higher end suspension outside of NOVICE group.

meaning, THEY have personally found it let them down once they really started to push the bike.

i dont do track days myself, for the ROAD i've found them to be just fine.

i'm looking for Cartridges in an attempt to better match a proper aftermarket shock.. the only real
issue i have with the re-worked (Race-Tech bits) oem shock is that it is NOT HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE.

what this means is if i want to adjust ride height i need to use a combination of shims vs adjusting my variable length linkage.

If i do ALL the required adjustment purely using the linkage, wheel base gets affected a bit more than I am comfortable with.

Having an aftermarket shock which offers the above adjust-ability on the fly is what i'm after personally, also the oem shock is a PITA to service..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll be honest about my riding abilities and say they are simply average at best. I definitely lack confidence when fully leaned over from a big crash years ago so I'm hoping the placebo factor of Ohlins will be significant and give me some of the that back.

I have absolutely zero complaints about the Showa BPF fork and my research backs it up as a really good fork out of the box.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts