BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered Luser
2,116 Posts
I've got a Nitron on the back of my ZX-14R. Very nice bit of kit. Super happy with the shock itself. Just have to lower the rear ride height a bit, not so much for handling, which is great, but for sound ergonomics. I have a terrible buffeting issue from raising the rear height too much, and it has most certainly given me some hearing loss from it. I ride with plugs too. 10 of 10 would purchase again for any bike I ride.
how did the bum end get so high? just the shock, or shock + 50 series tire?

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
I'll be honest about my riding abilities and say they are simply average at best. I definitely lack confidence when fully leaned over from a big crash years ago so I'm hoping the placebo factor of Ohlins will be significant and give me some of the that back.
set of carts for bling will do just fine for you.. :D

placebo effect will be out in full force, regardless of what the sticker says :rider

·
Beer League Racer/Asshole
5,206 Posts
how did the bum end get so high? just the shock, or shock + 50 series tire?
The guy who originally ordered it, requested a 10mm longer shock, so the ride height was raised quite a bit from that. Side by side with a stock 14r, it looks like my tail section is almost 3" higher than the stock. Turns in super fast now though, and rarely drifts wide on fast corners.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
3" higher sounds like an awful lot for 10mm of extra shock length. Surely there's something else going on there? Perhaps different links and dogbone?

My Ohlins cartridges are sitting in a box in my garage but I just can't bring myself to take my front end apart to get them installed. I'm having too much fun with the bike lately and don't want the down time! Maybe I can get RMR to order my springs ahead of time just to get the ball rolling. I was gong to drop by to consult and order springs but he moved his shop way out into deepest Abbotsford so that makes it difficult to just drop by.

·
Registered
8,762 Posts
3" higher sounds like an awful lot for 10mm of extra shock length.
this is what i was thinking as well, i just cant see it myself.. in so far as why its only a few mm's, the topic has been discussed at 'length' on the
R1 forum as the 09-14 R1 improved a good deal once suspension was set up right.. not one single dude on there is running an extra 3"s on their shock.. :laughing

I do know some of the guys actually raised their forks a little, which meant they had to increase
rear height further to keep the magic triangle, but i dont know if they required a special shock to achieve that.

in fact , one of the reasons Ohlin's complete set of forks is what the big boys run, is because of the extender caps which are available.

these allow you to raise the front end, adjustments are all done in mm's :D
now ask me why i'm still on the fence regarding 'just a cartridge upgrade' :laughing

My Ohlins cartridges are sitting in a box in my garage but I just can't bring myself to take my front end apart to get them installed. I'm having too much fun with the bike lately and don't want the down time! Maybe I can get RMR to order my springs ahead of time just to get the ball rolling. I was gong to drop by to consult and order springs but he moved his shop way out into deepest Abbotsford so that makes it difficult to just drop by.
dude, seriously.. do yourself a favor and take care of it.. get 'er done :thumbup

I waited for no reason to do the valving on my R1, i slapped the springs on during a fluid swap 'cause it was quick and easy.

once i got around to the FPK i realized it was bad idea to dick around, everything changed and I
suddenly realized geometry adjustments were required to get the bike setup proper.

The bike was a different animal over night and once i had my hands dirty, the tweaking / tuning really took off. :D

its so damn worth it :rider

21 - 29 of 29 Posts