BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase some gear and this site, motocard.com (apparently from Spain), sells them at a much lower price than any other sites I can find.

I did some googling and they seem legit, but most of the buyer's responses are from Europe. I'm just wondering if anyone here has purchased anything from them before and what's your opinion on them?

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
I've been looking at them as well the past couple of weeks. If they were shipping from the UK, I would probably give them a try on a small item. My experience with ordering stuff from the UK has been awesome. GST and PST free, and duty free if its a small enough box that your local postie will ring your doorbell. Pretty quick too, evenerything I got in less than 10 working days provided they use Royal Post (which hands off to Canada Post).

Spain makes me think customs and duty surprises.

Looking at this Dainese C2 Super Speed jacket @ $482 USD plus $63 USD shipping = $545.http://www.motocard.com/en/jackets/jacket-dainese-super_speed_c2_nero_antracite_685.aspx

I can get that same thing in the US for that price.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I have been to their storefront in Valencia a few times.Bigger than the apparel dept at Holeshot. Great selection and great prices.

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mods.

@ CoolDaddyGroove Some are not worth buying since like you said, it'll be the same to buy in the US. But for example I was looking at the AGV Pista GP helmet (just caught my eye). It sells for $1399 USD on revzilla but only $915 USD + $55 s/h on motocard.

I found this "Duty Calculator" tool online http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/190702122/but I don't know if it's accurate. If I were to get that helmet, the total with all fees and duties and taxes comes to $1392 CAD, which is still cheaper than $1399 USD = $1744 CAD (excluding any taxes importing from US).

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
You could get yourself a Motogp rated Shark Race R Pro Helmet with extra visors for about one third that price :)

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You could get yourself a Motogp rated Shark Race R Pro with extra visors for about one third that price :)
I know but I was just using that helmet for a comparison since the difference is quite huge.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
You would pay that much for a helmet. Ouch!

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
You would pay that much for a helmet. Ouch!
My best friend owns and runs an independent BMW repair shop. One of his clients has a 2004 BMW 325i in nice shape that he was going to give to his daughter. She refused to drive the car because it was "too old" and her friends had newer ones.

In a town where daughters refuse free BMW's and a shitty teardown house costs $1,000,000, thirteen hundred bucks is a squirt of piss to many people

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
My best friend owns and runs an independent BMW repair shop. One of his clients has a 2004 BMW 325i in nice shape that he was going to give to his daughter. She refused to drive the car because it was "too old" and her friends had newer ones.
Is he looking to adopt a son?

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please read comment #6 guys.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I would suggest you buy using € as the canadian dollar and the euro have been pretty steady as opposed to the US $

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would suggest you buy using € as the canadian dollar and the euro have been pretty steady as opposed to the US $
Ahh, never thought of that. Thanks!

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's an update for future reference and those who are curious/interested.

Bought helmet on Feb 5th. Shipped via UPS Express from Spain and received on Feb 10th. I had to pick it up in person at the Richmond UPS Depot (near the airport) because they only deliver during working hours.
Duty = 8.5%
Tax = 12%
Brokerage fee = $10
I still saved at least 40% from buying anywhere else.

Packaging is kind of shitty, just the helmet box within a UPS Fragile Box, no additional foam/padding.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Next time, ship down to US and pick up from there. Declare $200 on helmet on the way back. No tax, no duty no brokerage fees. Good to know about total savings and that it worked out well (minus the crappy packaging

·
awful human
3,139 Posts
Here's an update for future reference and those who are curious/interested.

Bought helmet on Feb 5th. Shipped via UPS Express from Spain and received on Feb 10th. I had to pick it up in person at the Richmond UPS Depot (near the airport) because they only deliver during working hours.
Duty = 8.5%
Tax = 12%
Brokerage fee = $10
I still saved at least 40% from buying anywhere else.

Packaging is kind of shitty, just the helmet box within a UPS Fragile Box, no additional foam/padding.
That's so shitty getting charged duty. A blatant cash grab under the guise of protecting Canadian helmet manufacturers. Are there even any? Farce and ripoff.

Marko is right though, if you do this again have it shipped to Blaine or Point Roberts and save yourself another $40

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Next time, ship down to US and pick up from there. Declare $200 on helmet on the way back. No tax, no duty no brokerage fees. Good to know about total savings and that it worked out well (minus the crappy packaging
I thought of that too, but what if the CBSA asks for the receipt for the helmet? The helmet is more than $200 and I don't to get on their naughty list for lying, plus paying any duty or taxes. Also won't UPS charge TSB Shipping (Pt Robs) $10 brokerage fee too?

The helmet box itself has 4 foam padding things in it so I guess it wasn't rolling around in the box or anything, but could be better imo.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Now that I'm well versed in helmets,
I have a hard time understanding people that buy a helmet online without trying them on.
The shark helmets I deal with have 5 different size crown padding and cheek pads ranging from 20mm to 45mm thick, all removable.
I wouldn't ride with a helmet unless it fits me like a second skin.

Btw... what did you buy?

·
Bus Driver
822 Posts
Perhaps not every one wants to buy a Shark helmet Claude, good deal or not plus I think you might just be a little bit biased since you are selling them. I would love a Pista but the cost is more than a few trackdays.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Perhaps not every one wants to buy a Shark helmet Claude, good deal or not plus I think you might just be a little bit biased since you are selling them. I would love a Pista but the cost is more than a few trackdays.
Regardless of brand, I would only buy a helmet that fit properly, and that's hard to do when buying online.A cheaper helmet that fits properly is safer than a top of the line helmet that is ill fitted.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
If OP tried it on and it fit properly, and good a good deal, so be it. If it was a blind buy, than I will agree with Claude. Personally I would not buy a helmet without trying it and making sure it fits properly. Post some pics op :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts