BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
A helmet should NOT fit properly when first purchased. It should be too tight. When you KNOW what helmet fits you correctly it is no problem to buy online. In my case, Arai long oval size small. Every time. It may be actually harder to buy a helmet 'in person' as you go with what feels right. My first helmet was a very nice fitting Shoei medium. After a month it was so loose that I could not race with it... Again, once you know what actually fits? Go buy it!

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I did try the helmet before buying. I wouldn't drop that much money on something that wouldn't fit me properly.

I got suckered in...I was debating between the Shoei X-12 Kagayama and the AGV Corsa. I have been waiting for the Shoei to go on sale but it just never does. Also I was thinking the X-12 has been out for a while so maybe I should wait for the X-13. I went to the Motorcycle Show and talked to the Shoei Rep from Japan and he said the X-13 won't be out any time soon. So I got my mind set on the AGV.

The X-12 is still around $755 USD and I see that the Corsa's a bit more, around $800-900 USD. Then I found this motocard site and saw that the Pista GP (yes...the one I posted earlier, which I said I wouldn't get) is 694 Euro after s/h and it sells for $1399 USD everywhere else. So rather than spending the money on a Shoei X-12, why not spend it on a Pista GP which has awesome reviews and weighs like nothing and...full carbon fiber?

Now before I get roasted for spending that much on a helmet, this is probably going to be my last helmet before I quit riding. I really plan on putting this helmet on the display case, along with my old Shoei and Arai, once it's retired. I know it sounds cheesy but that's what I'd like to do.

Here is a picture of it.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
@ xvitax.. that is one sexy helmet, congrats on the purchase

@ Svensken.. gp padding will have a higher density and not settle as much as street padding, but you are absolutely correct, buy a tight fitting helmet and it will end up being nice and snug after it settles

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks. They also sent me a pair Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 sunglasses for an extra $1, apparently it's worth $110 :)

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Does it have a Canadian spec Dot Sticker on it or the euro spec?
According to the BC motor vehicle act, section 194(7), ECE certified helmets are approved.

......... a standard or specification or an approval, certification or designation associated with a standard or specification of or published by a national or international standards association, .......

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I have never had police at the border or any side of the border examined helmet. At any border crossing across Canada.

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Do local cops know this or do they just look for the dot sticker?
What if you cross the border with it? Do American cops also recognize this ECE standard?
It's ECE Euro spec. Like Shovelhead said it's good to use in Canada. I don't plan to ride in the states so I don't care what their requirements are.
If local cops question me about my helmet I can simply show them the MVA on my phone. I have never got pulled over by any cops checking my helmets.

Edit: Actually I'll show the cops this: http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/road-safety/motorcycles.htm#helmet

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
There must be reason why they make every manufacturer put a "dot" sticker put on every helmet that comes into north America including the ones with ECE spec. One more reason the prices are higher here.

In Australia if the helmet is not ECE your insurance is invalid....

That helmet was way cheaper then dealer cost to bring them in around the system if its legal to sell non Dot helmets in Canada I could start buying from that site and selling them here.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
I would like someone to prove to me that a DOT approved fiberglass helmet is
safer than my ECE approved Shark race r pro helmet as worn by Motogp and WSBK riders

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I would like someone to prove to me that a DOT approved fiberglass helmet is
safer than my ECE approved Shark race r pro helmet as worn by Motogp and WSBK riders
I agree with you 100% is not about safety to them its about money and regulation. Why are we paying the extra money to sell these dot helmets when we can just order direct and cut 500 bucks off our cost!

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I agree with you 100% is not about safety to them its about money and regulation. Why are we paying the extra money to sell these dot helmets when we can just order direct and cut 500 bucks off our cost!
Yes. I wish dealers here in Canada can sell non-DOT approved helmets. Like you said the costs should be much lower and people like me wouldn't have to buy it online all the way from Spain. I would like to support local vendors but shelling out an extra $700 just for a DOT sticker is a bit too much. These laws are really outdated; stupid how you can use an ECE helmet but cannot sell one without DOT here.

Anyway, there are some things not worth buying online, say tires, which I will getting a pair from you, mosquito, when it's closer to riding reason.

·
I like curves.
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
for a guy that bought a 900 buck helmet to put on a shelf.. I don't think his riding season is quite here yet.
I bought a helmet that I really like, saved $700, get to use it to protect my head, AND looks awesome just sitting on a shelf? Troll all you like but for me it can't get better than that.:rockon

21 - 40 of 41 Posts