BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone one on here drive a Jeep Liberty or Nissan Xterra?
I'm looking to get a new truck in the next few weeks and have narrowed it down to one of these two.
I like how both drive, both have good and bad things about them. Question I had was what kind of mileage do you get? The manufacture specs are almost always off when it comes to expected mileage. I want to hear some real world experiences. I'll looking at between the year 2001 to 2003 ish. Non super charged for the Xterra. Premium fuel and a 10% decrease in fuel effiencency doesn't appeal to me.
Right now I drive a 4cyl Eagle talon and get about 12.9L/100KM in "real world" mileage. That's almost what these SUVs get :|

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
it depends if you haul stuff or not. If you do I would get the bigger engine b/c the hp would be worth it going up big or long hills.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the Liberty I'm looking at the V6 for the Xterra I'm looking at the non super charged 3.3L V6. A little under powered but the largest thing I will tow is a small boat and trailer. Shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My advice: Go with the Japanese SUV for reliability.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
+1 for Jap as well..... Chrysler products have a nasty history of bad transmissions.... but they do/did offer a 7 year powertrain warranty.

Id go for the Xterra on looks alone.... looks tough compared to the whimpy looking Liberty.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True I like the looks of the Xterra better as well. I had an old 88 Cherokee and I beat the hell out of it, off road and on road and never once had any issues with it. I think Jeeps are pretty reliable. Jeep has a little more cargo room, better fuel economy (according to specs) and more power, but I'm still leaning towards the Xterra.

·
Bohica
2,801 Posts
I've driven both (my friends have em) & I prefer the Xterra. Both use a fair amount of gas, but are good if you need that type of vehicle. The difference in power is no big deal either as both do fine in normal city & hwy driving. If u go for the Xterra I have a friend who has a 02/03 with the non supercharged engine & wants to change it up for a family sedan. Her truck is in great shape!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
The wife has a pathfinder and it gets about 400kms per 60L of fuel.
3.3L V6 ..

So that's about 15L/100kms.. not horrible, but not great either. (it's got an 80L tank, but we never get down there)

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Another vote here for the Xterra. A friend has one and it runs great, and looks much better than the Liberty, IMHO.

D

·
0 Posts
Mines a little one sided as I havent driven the xterra but I've driven the liberty. To me it could have been a lot smoother, maybe have more interior space (just seemed really cramped) and not felt so chunky to drive. At Budget, the Xterra's are a favourite and I've heard plenty good things about them

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
My coworker bought a Liberty and took it down some dirt road. It drives fine but he was getting dust coming though the door jambs. A little too rugged for my liking.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
No there not , maybe for dirt roads . We had a rental in Mexico and ended up twisting the chassis while crossing ditches at a 45 degree angle. It got beaten on but not excessively and the steering and chassis over 2 weeks loosened up badly. I'd get the Nissan. That and the Liberty is GIRLIE !!!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'd defintetly get the Nissan over the Liberty. I've been *very* pleased with the Pathfinder, and I'm sure the Xterra is just a slightly scaled version of it.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya I'm pretty much settled on the Xterra. I made a few offers today and I'm waiting to see what comes up at the dealer auction on Thursday. I've done a ton of research on them and the only draw back seems to be the fuel economy. It gets 15 MPG in the city. My Talon gets 400KM out of a 51 L tank so I won't notice much of a difference as weird as that is.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Pffft. Fuel economy. Pave the rainforest!

Anyhow, I'm a big Nissan fan as the owner of an FX45. Talk about crap fuel economy. 7,000,000 lb truck with a massive V8. Good thing I don't commute.

Get the Nissan.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
The only guys who think's Liberty's are tough are Miata / VW Golf owners.

I have a fuel atomizer for a Ford 460 that gave it a 60% increase in milage I'm still testing it .

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
Driven a liberty as a rental vehicle and I wasn't impressed, I'd go so far as to say I was disappointed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts