BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Wear proper gear pls ;)
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... whatever, I know there are a lot of you out there (myself included) that got tickets on the way up, during, or on the way home from Sport Bike West last August in Oliver.

Have any of you received your Court date yet? I haven't... so I just want to know if I am lucky so far or if they are just kind of slow (last notice I received within three months!!)

I know it'd be wishful thinking, but try to keep your flaming to a minumum.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
R1 GIRL said:
... whatever, I know there are a lot of you out there (myself included) that got tickets on the way up, during, or on the way home from Sport Bike West last August in Oliver.

Have any of you received your Court date yet? I haven't... so I just want to know if I am lucky so far or if they are just kind of slow (last notice I received within three months!!)

I know it'd be wishful thinking, but try to keep your flaming to a minumum.
Hmmm I am a big advocate of fighting tickets and have probably been to court 6 or 7 times disputing them. They, in my experience, alway seem to take about 6 to 7 monthes to arrive. And then your court date is always like 6 monthes from your reciept of the notice. I would say forget about it for a few more monthes.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Got a ticket in Nakusp in August and I'm still waiting for my court date. It's only been 6 months but feels like eternity, esp with the weather outside, I don't even remember how to ride a motorcycle anymore.

W

·
0 Posts
Last time i fought a ticket, I got the notice 14 months after the offence.

·
Wear proper gear pls ;)
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
waypastfast said:
Last time i fought a ticket, I got the notice 14 months after the offence.
Whoa Scott, no WAY you'd have to pay that one!

D

·
0 Posts
G-slide said:
i dont think they give you tickets for going 60kph.. suckers.

60 in a 30 zone is still twice the speed limit, and good to get your license sacked.

and probably extra bonus modifier points for speeding in a school zone.

·
Rhinotillexomania
336 Posts
According to Apendix 12b Section 11b of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms you have the right to:
to be tried within a reasonable time

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/about/tribunals/rpd/handbook/hb12_e.htm#_Toc451677752

I've successfully used this to beat a speeding ticket that I got the year before my court date. Since reasonable isn't specified say it was too long ago for you to correctly remember the details and don't admit anything.

The only problem with using this defense is that you have to notify the court that you will be doing a constitutional objection no less then 30 days prior to your court date. Technically they have to send a special legal rep to handly the case. They didn't for my case so I won. I don't think its worth the cost of them paying extra legal council for a speeding ticket so they don't bother.

IF you are going to do this you need to send a fax(or letter) to notify 3 people of your objection. 1 in Victoria, 1 Vancouver and at the court where you will be processed. Sorry, its been a few years and I can't remember who or the details required. If you do a little research on the process and court date is over due (at least to you) then you can beat it if you really want to.

Hope this helps. IF someone really needs more info and buys me beer or something I can see if I can find the old info but I honestly don't think I kept it.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
p0rn.star said:
According to Apendix 12b Section 11b of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms you have the right to:
to be tried within a reasonable time

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/about/tribunals/rpd/handbook/hb12_e.htm#_Toc451677752

I've successfully used this to beat a speeding ticket that I got the year before my court date. Since reasonable isn't specified say it was too long ago for you to correctly remember the details and don't admit anything.

The only problem with using this defense is that you have to notify the court that you will be doing a constitutional objection no less then 30 days prior to your court date. Technically they have to send a special legal rep to handly the case. They didn't for my case so I won. I don't think its worth the cost of them paying extra legal council for a speeding ticket so they don't bother.

IF you are going to do this you need to send a fax(or letter) to notify 3 people of your objection. 1 in Victoria, 1 Vancouver and at the court where you will be processed. Sorry, its been a few years and I can't remember who or the details required. If you do a little research on the process and court date is over due (at least to you) then you can beat it if you really want to.

Hope this helps. IF someone really needs more info and buys me beer or something I can see if I can find the old info but I honestly don't think I kept it.
interesting, I have always wondered about that one myself! Since most tickets cant be processed through the system and brought to court within a year (especcially in more populated juristictions) I would think that would qaulify as being unreasonable. Think if we all made it policy to dispute, then they would think harder about handing out tickets for burnt out licence plate lights ;-) I have even had the officer call my house saying he cant make it so I shouldnt go! aaaaahahahaha right..... See ya there cowboy!

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
You can try to argue that your statutory right to a speedy hearing has been contravened, but most of the time the judge will allow excessive amounts of time. A friend of mine managed to beat a ticket on these grounds, but that was after two years had gone by. Having said that, the only cop I saw all SBW weekend was the one me and Aaron passed, going up Antichrist mountain at plus 100. Fortunately, he was going the other way and couldn't pull a U-turn.

·
Rhinotillexomania
336 Posts
VTwinVince said:
You can try to argue that your statutory right to a speedy hearing has been contravened, but most of the time the judge will allow excessive amounts of time. A friend of mine managed to beat a ticket on these grounds, but that was after two years had gone by.
Don't get me wrong but do you know that
VTwinVince said:
most of the time the judge will allow excessive amounts of time.
for a fact or are you just talking out of your ass?

If you properly make an objection on your constitutional right to a trial in a reasonable time then they are forced to send appropriate legal representation if they don't (and they won't) then the cop showing up isn't good enough.

IF you just go in without warning (not following the proper procedure) and say the ticket is a violation of your constitutional right to a trail in a reasonable time the judge will not accept your objection BUT you can ask for a delay/adjournment until you have time to submit the proper request. This is what I did, so I had to go to court twice but the second time I'd done everything properly and beat the ticket. I walked a friend of mine through the same process and he got off too. Both trials were held in POCO.

I have personally done this, it’s not like I’m saying this could work because “a friend of mine...”

Thats all I'm going to say on the subject, I hope I help someone save some money or points. Its fun to use the system to beat the system. Don't just roll over and take it.

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
You could be right, but I haven't found anywhere where it defines "speedy". AFAIK this is open to interpretation by the presiding judge. Sounds like your idea is a good one.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Already went out to Princeton to appear on August 31st for Brad and mine's excessive excessive. Officer no showed. He was transferred out of the area 3 months prior. Nice of the government to let us know eh?

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
i believe that 1 year is considered speedy for trail but 1 day past can be deemed unreasonable. i never even thought it posible but i've had a few friends who disputed tickets and when they finaly went to court, the used the speedy loop hole and the judges did say(now this might have been thri opinions) that it was indeed too long. one of them was exactly 1 year and 1 day from time of issue. the other 2 were just over a year. 2 of my friends staled with the re-setting a court date and then tried the too long bid but lost because it was them that caused the delay so make sure if your going to plead unreasonable time that you haven't re-set the date yourself.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
yeah and wear a nice low cut negligae as an undershirt and bat your eyes alot. unless its female judge then hope she's lesbo!!

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
So what happened, R1 Girl?

Be sure to make the story as dramatic as possible. It is the silly season and we need all the quality entertainment we can get in here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts