BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be running into a problem that I dont know how to solve. I have this need to go fast and get low in corners. I'm starting to acknowledge the fact that I cant do it on the streets. Even if I pick my spots (like cypress when no ones around) theres still to many street factors that I cant control. A switch to track only would be the obvious answer but I dont know if I can afford it as insurance doesnt cover track and I have no way to get to/from the track (not to mention $500 every weekend for new tires) I'm trying to decide what happens next.
I didn't get a sportbike to ride to the grocery store and back. I want to experience what these bikes can do, and dont believe thats possible on public roads without unnessisary risks like oncoming traffic etc. *sigh* what to do next, have any of you had to face this problem?

-arai-

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I know the feeling of needing to tap the bikes potential. Crashing on the street is aweful expensive and that has curbed my need for the crazy corning a bit.

Getting out of town and finding a good, clean, twisty road with little traffic is the only way I get my fix. Find a road that's got little traffic, is clean and then get to know it really really well. It's the biggest difference in the world when you know the road. Makes it alot safer and fun.

D

·
0 Posts
buy a pocketbike and drag shin. you'll find that you will mellow out on the big bike.

·
Registered
725 Posts
its good that you are realizing that rather than going crazy on the street and risking injury to yourself,

that is actually one of the bad things about the track, after you have ridden on one you no longer have any urge to ride on the street due to the reasons you mentioned.

especially when you know you are capable of much more but have too much common sense to try and push it to that level on the street

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a friend that used to race in some pretty big races. He mentioned something similar to me. He was saying that if he got a bike again he couldnt ride on the street after being at that level on a track. After getting to the point where I can appreciate what this bike can do I'm starting to agree. I've got a couple options... sell the r6 and by a cheaper track bike... or maybe sell my downhill rig and pay off my r6 faster so I can turn it into my track bike. Trying to figure out what to do next is the hard part

-arai-

·
Registered
725 Posts
you are totally right, my suggestion is dont assume that just cause you go to the track you will crash and you need all this prep,

if you take it easy and are responsible you can have a very good time on your stock bike, in our group there are up to 30 of us an a track day and 80-90% of the guys run street bikes with street tires, stock bodywork etc. guys like dalton, smz, etc all come with us with stock bikes and just have a great time,

if you leave youself a decent safety margin you will be ok, and even with this safety margin you still be at a significantly higher level of riding than you ever have been on the street,

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
It's all about setting your priorities. Either back off to a sane pace or sell you soul and go to the track. If you like the idea of the track just bear in mind that you can probably sell or trade your downhill bike for something less hardcore to get some money to finance your new habit.

Do you have a car? If so then you can tow a trailer with the bike in it to the track.

And think of the money you'll save for car insurance if you make your bike a track only bike.

If you plan to run a lot of track days then you'll want race plastic for sure because a lot of the track days and novice race events will require the catch basin that comes with race plastic.

And you think you've got it bad????

I've only had my racing school and already I'm so jaded that I'm thinking I should sell the 9R and get a Hardley for the street and keep the F2 for the track where I can actually USE it. Well, it's not THAT bad but I've certainly had my eyes opened.

And for the first couple of sets of tires you can get away with street skins until you outride them and find them overheating. After that you're hooked like a heroin junkie and will find yourself doing B&E's to pay for your tire habit......... :laughing

Keep the R6 or get something else? That's a toughy. You'll have to look the market over and decide if the dollars you get vs the track bike you'd be happy with makes selling or keeping your R6 worthwhile. I'm VERY impressed with my F2 but it's not competitive and it's no R6. So you need to decide just how serious you are and how much you can afford to loose.

I understand there's going to be another race school later this summer. If you can come up with the $400 I highly recomend it. Just don't go super crazy or perhaps spend the money on race plastic and sliders. 4 people lowsided during my course and aside from the plastic the wounds were all on the bikes and easily fixed for low $.

PS; The total cost per weekend isn't as high as $500. I'm going ot estimate it at about $300. That's $100 for the track fee (average). $100 for gas, oil, food and other "stuff" and $100 for tires. Street tires will last for at least 3 weekends and probably 4 or 5 and I talked to a couple of guys that get race takeoffs for about $200 and these last them for about 3 weekends of hard riding. And if you can hold your pace back a hair then the tires will last longer.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here's one of the plans I'm cooking up. sell the downhill rig, and use some savings to almost pay off the r6 completely, then I can finance a car and get a trailer for that :) to take the bike to the track. The biggest thing will be deciding if I'm willing to loose an r6 (accidents happen) without ins to cover it. Selling the r6 to buy a cheaper track bike would be a mistake because of how much I'd loose on the r6 to depreciation. I've been looking at used bikes for the track but the people that sell them are on crack and want way to much for really old bikes. Unfortunatly I dont have the know how or garage to tinker in (I'm jealous of you and your frankenbike) We'll see what happens

-arai-

B

·
0 Posts
i'm starting to get the same kinda itch. After riding at much higher speeds for two weeks and then having to slow it down to the limit really takes the wind out of your sails. So does a $173 speeding ticket..... i'm getting a pick-up some time soon and i'm not sure what i'll do about the bike because as much as i've got all the gear and all that, it's so much easier to drive to work in the rain and in less than perfect weather. That pretty much covers a lot of what i'm currently using my bike for now. Quick trips to the store and what not will always be done with the truck, not to mention the drive to work. So basically my Honey's role will be significantly diminished to.....just a sunny day toy? Oh the horror!! What to do...... the money i could save...

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
A few things:

a) the frame sliders are in - does this help? ;) I just need to pick them up - should be this week.

b) after hearing about all these fatalities lately, and having them so much closer to home. I've relalized that your absolutely right. The streets are no place for speed and we can't possibly push these bikes as far as they want to go (or we want them to go) there.

c) trackdays = expensive. No doubt about it. I was honestly thinking today about just giving it all up and doing track days only. With the 'odd' excurision out on the road, kinda like what kit does.

I'm too young to die.

Saying this, I'll be riding on the street this year and the foreseeable future. But some thoughts..

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
highway on/off ramps are good places to get lean angles without any traffic. Just find the ones that are clean and smooth and practice getting your lean angles further over all day long :)

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
What does we have to do to get a decent race track in this town? It burns me to no end........I have buddies in ON and they are off carting, doing track days on their bikes, Formula Ford etc etc etc........and we have Mission?

Here's my $1000. to start the fund for a simple road course somewhere West of Hope. If we get 500 members that's a half Mill and I can arrange to leverage the rest.

But, if you don't have the G, the Adam's idea is best.......put sliders everywhere on your bike and/or buy some less than beautiful bodywork for the track.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
cooldaddygroove said:
What does we have to do to get a decent race track in this town? It burns me to no end........I have buddies in ON and they are off carting, doing track days on their bikes, Formula Ford etc etc etc........and we have Mission?

Here's my $1000. to start the fund for a simple road course somewhere West of Hope. If we get 500 members that's a half Mill and I can arrange to leverage the rest.

But, if you don't have the G, the Adam's idea is best.......put sliders everywhere on your bike and/or buy some less than beautiful bodywork for the track.
I am in on this, you should talk to bog with VROM, they were going through the motions of costing this out, but were going to sell memberships at $5000, and that would give you access to the track anytime it wasn't booked, and X number or dedicated track days a year for members, then open it up to the public. I believe he had a pretty good handle on it, and that the ppl interested were committed, and in theory already had $500 000 if everyone who pledged actually came through with the cash.

The only real problem was finding a venue for it. Local muncipalities don't like race tracks.

·
Rally Monster
77 Posts
This idea of a track is something I think may be more appropriate to a municipality like Rchmond these days while they are grappling with wtf they should do about street racers.

I personally would love to see a track that only takes me 20 minutes to get to in which I could pay for a go around the course. They have this exact thing in Germany... the Nurburgring or something like that.. alos called 'the Ring'. You can pay a fee and go for a zoom around it but your on your own if you crash... they can tow you off the course for a fee and you can go to hell after that.

How does Mission run those days where you can go and roar around the track in your car... I've heard about it but never gone. I think I should :eek

----------

Anyways.. based on the original thread... yeah it's a pain in the ass even for me driving a car (as arai already knows). There is nowhere to really open the damn thing up without risking other peoples lives, and in turn my own. When I had slower cars it wasn't so bad.. but now!???

Working on getting it into performance rallying which should be a great outlet for driving fast.

Speaking of which... there are a series of Rallycross events that have been created just recently ... of course, way the hell out in Merritt and only for cars... but you guys may be interested... only need a helmet and a car to meet requirements.. no cage needed.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
cooldaddygroove said:

WOW. What a concept. A cooperative race track. At first I thought this was just the usual hot air but I honestly think this is not a bad idea. What it would take is a strong executive to arrange for it and from there to sell subscriptions. The big problem would be getting the riders to buy into the plan.

The board would need to show that the subscription money was being held securley in trust until the target amount was set.

And it should be a full feature motorsport facility with some commercial intrests in there as well. A commercial go kart track as well as the Formula 440 thing so there is some use at all times.

And it would be an "all clubs" affair. There would be room for motocross, trials, road track with integral drag strip, and a large open area for skid pad or autocross courses in addition to the parking area.

At $100 a pop for track time at the Mission "go kart track" it doesn't take long to realize that a full spectrum motorsport facility for $1000 seed money is a great idea.

I think you're a little under on the amount required. To do this properley and provide enough clout to keep the whining weenies at bay I think we would need 1000 initial members.

I wonder if there would be any chance of the motorsport clubs in this region getting together as a group?

·
Rally Monster
77 Posts
Discussing a track specifically... if it was a coop or whatever you are going to get into a huge logistical nightmare of people signing up , quiting... all that shite... easy enough to get funding if the idea is a good one.

Also go carting and motorcycles are too different to share the same track though building a facility on the same property is a good idea.. maybe in the center of the bigger track. big track for cars and motorcycles, little track for pocketbikes and go carts.

hmmmm not a bad idea.

Shall we hold a sort of round table meeting in which a few of us discuss this a little more? I'm interested however I have other projects on the go so I can only help out from the sidelines.

Doug? what say you Dr. Pocketbike?

G

·
0 Posts
Hey Arai,
I did the exact thing you are thinking of, sold the street bike and bought a race prepped bike. Didn't get to race or do as many track days as I wanted and ended up not riding very much at all. But with your proximity to Spokane and Seattle you might get in more track days.
I am in the process of turning my race bike into a street legal machine because I missed not being able to ride every day. Of course I live in a far less populated corner of the world so this a good decision for me. And I have access to (within minutes) of some of the nicest, twistiest (sp) roads in the province that are not too heavily travelled or patrolled. Lucky for me:D.

Just some thoughts from someone who was in the same boat not too long ago. Definitely keep the bike streetable and do as many track days as possible.

But if you do want a good track bike let me know :D

Later :rider

1 - 17 of 17 Posts