BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to hire a " Special needs child " for part time work at the shop. Must like motorcycles and cannot be afraid of dogs. I've done lot's of volunteer work in the past with " Special needs kid's " and I like the atmosphere they provide. If they need rides to work we'll help with that also.

We're coming into busy season and need some extra help.

PM or call the shop 604 244 7666.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Contact the local high schools. The high school I graduated from had the special needs students do co-op programs as part of their schooling. They got credits for working a certain number of hours at local businesses. I think they also had some say in where they got to work.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silent Scream said:
Contact the local high schools. The high school I graduated from had the special needs students do co-op programs as part of their schooling. They got credits for working a certain number of hours at local businesses. I think they also had some say in where they got to work.
Good idea . I'm hoping for a kid with parents into biking

·
blah
546 Posts
Thats awesome of you, I work with special needs people but I am on the Island or I would have a few names for you. Good on ya!

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
phillyblunt
If you can't be helpful don't post.

I will continue to delete any posts in this thread that are not helpful. Some things are serious and this is one of the few. If you can't contribute go post in Dalton's.

·
Registered
215 Posts
dude, i can understand that, but don't you remember what bill posted a while back, how it was just slightly reworded? this thread reminded me of that, and it made me laugh.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I agree, kids and adults with "special needs" add a unique and fun atomsphere to the work place. Take the edge off of things IMO.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
good cause and all, but what did Bill do with the last one?

edit: where is he/she now?

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
5thgear is a fun and unique place to work, so everyone wins! :D

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Bill, I understand you seriously take on special needs kids in your business and I commend you for it.
Everyone wins by you taking such initiative.
Seriously though, what happens with the process?

I would have thought you just find a kid that works out and he/she stays long term like any other employee.
Do you typically have more of a rotation? Do they just get to help out for a summer or something like that?

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most special needs kid's come in on Saturdays to help out. It depends on what there capable of some kid's can only stay for 4 hrs or ?? who knows there all unique.

I use to help train kid's to ride horses for therapy and hired others at other jobs I've had. Now that I run my own business I've been wanting to hire a special needs kid for quite some time.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
how far would you be able to go to pick up? I can ask a friend about her brother. He is in his 20's, but he is a little slower. His mental capacity is more of a 17 yr old. Really nice guy. I know he does have a job right now.

·
I make grown adults cry!
344 Posts
My oldest son is special needs, in and out of Children for the last few years in the psych department.

He's terrified of dogs, so he's probably not an option, but from the father of a special needs kid, thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts