BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading all about the Honda VTR1000 SP-2 (RC51 SP-2) in the Brit mags. What a huge improvement over the SP-1, and that white colour scheme!!:eek :eek

Has anyone heard if Honda will bring it to Canada? I could fall in love with that, especialy since they won't let me get an Aprilia here.:mad

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
the white sp-2 is a very nice bike and i think we are supposed to get it... it might even make me want to try a vtwin

V

·
0 Posts
I believe that the 2002 VTR1000 RC-51 is the exact same as the 2002 VTR1000 SP-2 minus the sweet new paint. They haven't mentioned much about it though in any of the mags so I'm not
100% sure, but I doubt that they would limit it to Europe.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Since y'all ask, I'll tell you the differences between the RC51 (SP-1) and the VTR1000 SP-2. The main problem with the RC51 was the jerky on/off nature of the fuel injection. The SP-2 has sorted that by increasing the size of the throttle bodies from 54mm to 62mm, and changing the 4 jet injectors to F1 type 12 jet mister style injectors.
The second complaint with the RC51 was the harsh ride and suspension. Honda has addressed that with a redesigned swingarm directly off Colin Edwards SP-1; Extended engine hangars to increase rigidity and allowing them to soften the the shocks a little; revised fork and rear shock settings; revised steering geometry and a wider diameter steering stem; and finally lighter 5-spoke HRC wheels. The cumulative effect according to Bike is to eliminate all jitters from the ride and accomodate the rider "into" the bike instead of "on top" of it.
You also get the official HRC World Superbike sticker kit which the dealer will apply for you when you purchase or at any time in the future, and the absolute best feature......A VIP Paddock pass to every round of the SBK series. That's not such a deal from here, but imagine how that would influence your decision if you were living in the UK or Europe. I think that sound you hear is the sound of Ducati's falling sales.

As for the difference between the RC51 as we know it and the SP-2: The 2002 RC51 is unchanged except for colour, and the 2002 SP-2 is as mentioned. Price differece in UK is about £1,500 so if we get it, the price should be about $16,500.

For more details, click this!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

I just talked to Tricia at Carter Honda (I think she was 12 years old :rolleyes ) and after consulting with "the guys" she says that the SP-2 will definitely be coming to Canada, but they don't have a date yet. The problem is that you have to drop a grand for a deposit to hold one, which means that they see this bike as a cash cow and since there's a demand for it, they'll probably jack the price up.

Anybody up for a group buy?:laughing

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
bl1tz said:

wanna go rob the bank with me before we go make deposits?!?:D :D :D
Human can keep the Buick running outside and fit at least 9 of us in there:laughing

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thr1 said:

Human can keep the Buick running outside and fit at least 9 of us in there:laughing
:laughing :laughing :laughing Dude! The imaginary sight of 9 of us piling into the Buick is priceless!:laughing :laughing

·
Registered
842 Posts
For what it's worth

I've been told by a friend on a Brit site who has ridden the SP-2, that there's not much difference in the handling, speed and carburation from the SP-1. I know mine is losing the abrupt throttle response as I put more miles on it. A Fox shock has taken care of the suspension problem too. So for $13900 you can pick up an 01 and improve it . The new one is only supposed to be up 3-4 hp. Not enough difference to make me trade in mine and only get 11000-12000 for it.

I'll wait for the V-5:D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: For what it's worth

Dirtybill said:
I've been told by a friend on a Brit site who has ridden the SP-2, that there's not much difference in the handling, speed and carburation from the SP-1. I know mine is losing the abrupt throttle response as I put more miles on it. A Fox shock has taken care of the suspension problem too. So for $13900 you can pick up an 01 and improve it . The new one is only supposed to be up 3-4 hp. Not enough difference to make me trade in mine and only get 11000-12000 for it.

I'll wait for the V-5:D
You can get a brand new '01 for $12,500 at Carter. It's on their website.

·
Registered
842 Posts
$12500 ! That is cheap. Knowing Carter though, they'll add on a bunch of extras. I bought a V-Max from them a couple of years ago and they wanted to hit me for $200 for "paperwork". I had done the deal verbally for "how much out the door" then they try to add this on. I started walking and they took the $200 off.

Any way, if you can stand that tall racing like first gear ratio and the limited fuel milage it's a good deal. Oh ya, forgot the 2 x 4 they call a seat:mad I've got a Gixxer 750 seat I'm going to transplant the foam from:D

The Honda Canada web site is still showing the old colours. The Erion black and silver one looked sharp.:cool

·
Registered
465 Posts
Lets not forget the Taller windscreen derived from the Colin Edwards racebike!! Oh and the front fairing brace is now aluminum witch shaves off another 11 ounces. And I heard something about 2 radiator fans now to keep temps lower. INCREDIBLE =)

The bike at the Vancouer bikeshow was not an SP2. Everyone was asking about that there =) And why they don't bring out the White/Silver/Black paint here is beyond me. I would have happily waited for that. 4 jets to 12 jets should smooth things out hopefully. But then the bike was never intended to be city ridden. Once u get it up to speed, it is as smooth as @*(&@$^(!

The lowest I have seen RC51 OTD is for $13,800. $12,500 at Carter would involve taxes, and other fees like PDI and FREIGHT. I think this is the last time HRC will mass produce a race replica. I consider the RC51 a real candidate as a collectors bike in the future. Its probably the last one u can buy at these prices and the last VTWIN HRC engine configed bike too!!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dirtybill said:
Oh ya, forgot the 2 x 4 they call a seat:mad I've got a Gixxer 750 seat I'm going to transplant the foam from:D
My God, man! How bad must the seat be that you would consider the Gixxer comfortable?:laughing :laughing

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hu99 said:

My God, man! How bad must the seat be that you would consider the Gixxer comfortable?:laughing :laughing
The Gixxer seat has at least 3/4 of an inch more foam in it. I'll make up a couple of brackets to fit on it and give it a try. The bolt holes are in different places.

600 km days are about all I can take now.:(

G

·
0 Posts
You're absolutely right about Carter charging an arm and a leg for stupid things. Who ever heard of an $800 freight and pdi for a bike? That's more like a car! But I must admit that they do pay top dollar for used bikes.:tredmill

T

·
0 Posts
According to the local dealers here in Calgary, Honda Canada has 150-180 2001 RC-51 (SP1) left over. They will not let dealers order in the 2002 RC-51 (SP2) until this allotment has been moved. A lot of local dealers are not happy about this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts