BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I am planning on doing a fair bit of motorcycle/camping.

My intent is to do various weekend tours in March and April, mainly along coastal areas of WA and OR where the conditions are milder. In May onwards, I'll ride through BC, AB, Yukon, etc - perhaps on longer stints of half to full week. The intent is to camp on crown land, whereever I can pull over and hide my bike and myself.

With light-weight gear and a minimalist approach, I figure I should be able to set up camp is ten minutes flat (tarp, bivy sack and bag). And with a motorcycle, I should be able to easily find spots along the entrance of logging roads, etc. With a 600 sport bike and full rain gear - weather won't be an obstacle either.

I am curious if any other members here do motorcycle/camping (touring)?

·
Registered
978 Posts
i havnt yet but a couple years ago when i was camping in osoyoos there were a bunch of guys camping with their bikes in the stall behind us....they were from victoria and went through all of alberta and the okanagon..alot of them went 2up with their gfs as well

·
motarded
86 Posts
i did it all the time,on my f4i then on the motard.all i ever brought with me was a sleeping bag.the motard worked way better as it had a much easier time getting around gates/curbs/stairs:evilgrin
down it the states is cool too as most people don't care about you sleeping where ever and more backroad type stuff is open to the public

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess all State parks are closed till May or June for camping. I hope to slip into those parks for the night, in just a few weeks from now.

1) Am I creating any problems for myself to slip into State Wilderness parks for the night?

2) I intend to ride all day, and pull in to camp only when it gets dark; I'll be breaking camp at the brake of dawn. (No campfires - I'll be invisible.) Where else can I pull into for camping the night (legal-ish, safe, secluded)?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Be prepared for three things: wildlife, rednecks, and Park Rangers.

I travel that way myself, bivybag, thermarest and sleeping bag. It's not bad, but it's pretty bizarre to unzip the bag in the middle of the night and find yourself surrounded by a bunch of elk snuffling and grunting :eek

Worst case, if it's a ranger, is to tell them you were just exhausted and had to pull over and sleep. That's not going to cut the mustard in a place like Yellowstone though....

Lots of freaks out there, make damn sure you are invisible to anyone wandering along a logging road. A tarp over the bike/bike cover works real well.

Consider a KOA pass, it's a great relief to be able to pull into a place with hot showers and little stress after a few days in the wild.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
In BC there's numerous forestry campsites but I don't think they are officially open that early in the season.

The big issue is what happens if a bunch of the local mobile booze party brigade wanders by and finds you. A few years back I would have said "Sure, campe wherever" but these days with the attitude that violence is COOL... as long as you can to it to others.... I'm not so sure your method is a good one. Another issue with waiting until dark is the problem with thinking you're well hidden only to wake in the light of dawn to discover you're only 3 trees away from a farm field and the owner is tilling with his tractor and staring at'cha! :D

I would think that in many cases the "I was too tired to continue" story for the rangers or cops would be fine. Especially when they don't see a fire spot. They may tell you to move on or they may just let you stay. Depends on how you treat 'em I suspect.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
US camping advice is pretty straight foward. Stick to State Parks. County Parks are a no-no.... people actually "live" in the county park campsites and it can get pretty ghetto. Take change.. most US State parks are well equiped and have coin op'd showers. If you;re at all worried stay close to the campsite host.

Always pay. Some towns I've visited proudly post signs with directions to their Jails.

If you dont want to pay, I believe you can camp for free anywhere on Federal Park Land in the US (need to confirm it) we've done it, but honestly it;s not worth the roll of the dice.

Many of my US friends cant believe we dont carry guns when we ride.. We thought they were nuts for asking... after a few strange things happened we now think maybe having a gun might not be that bad an idea.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Buy a KOA pass. Especially on the WA and OR coast along the 101, there's a KOA campsite every 30 feet it would seem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel comfident/safe camping on crown land in BC, but I am apprehensive about Federal land in USA - for the words of caution you guys are giving. Thanks for your advice.

I have since browsed the WA and OR state parks websites. Over half are open year round with only a minor fee ($10/night).

I am guessing I won't have any problem with availability this early in the sesson. Weather looks good for this coming weekend, so I am going to try South west coastline of Wa.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have read that some long distance tourers (month or longer) will carry various spare bike parts (eg: clutch cable, both hand levers, foot pegs, one of each bulb type, fuses, etc).

I will occasionally be in the back country and on gravel roads; conceivably if I have a brake down I could be stranded for up to a day.

I only want to carry what is essential in spare parts. Given that my bike is only 1 year old, 11000 kms, excellent mech condition, I want planning to only bring as spares:

- Brake light bulb
- License plate bulb
- Amber signal bulb
- Loose wire, electric tape
- Hose clamp

- Tire repair kit
- Gas siphon hose
- Zip ties, etc

Any comments on my list ?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I did several bike camp trips last year. Montana and a nice little loop around BC, touching into Yukon.

In June, Yukon and northern BC was cold. Damn cold. It didn't help that it rained lots. The road from Kitwanga to Dease lake is paved... sometimes.

In June, it snowed in the Montana rockies. The roads had an inch of snow on them, and I was in the middle of nowhere. It was interesting, and kinda sucked... all I had were summer riding gloves with me, so my hands froze.

I like to bring a tent, sleeping bag, sleeping roll, a couple changes of clothes, a camera, a spare fuel tank (My Vmax gets 160 - 180km/tank) and space to carry lunch and dinner.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Skeleton said:
- Brake light bulb
- License plate bulb
- Amber signal bulb
- Loose wire, electric tape
- Hose clamp

- Tire repair kit
- Gas siphon hose
- Zip ties, etc

Any comments on my list ?
Duct tape
JB Weld

·
565 Posts
Yes. I love M/C camping. A double decker tank bag and a Wolfman rear bag (Beta) and a couple of bungees takes all you need.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I fear the outdoors. Bears could eat me.
But seriously, I'm far too much of a city-boy to want to sleep on the damn ground. I love hitting the hotels, sitting in a hot tub/sauna after a long day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
camped

Did a trip couple of years back with the girlfriend on the back of my 6R. We had side panniers, tank back and her wearing a backpack...

We managed to pack a tent, sleeping bags, thermarest, a change of cloths..camera, extra pair of shoes each(for walking around/hiking), other small accesories...and we ate out.

The trip was on hwy 20 in WA up to Osoyoos, then towards Kelowna and back to Van. Because of the gear and passenger, we were comfortably doing 5-600 km per day...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts