BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Michelin has 190 to fit a 5.5" rim, they seem to be the cats meow on a 600. I guess you have to adjust for the 15mm rear tire height difference, but many guys are swearing by them, and guys are making up some serious time in their laps with the bigger contact patch, they are getting on the gas harder and sooner. The only downfall Ive read is you push the front more becasue of the traction, and on some bikes the chain rubs on the tire.

Anyone run them/try them at Mission?
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
mikeelliot said:
Looks like Michelin has 190 to fit a 5.5" rim, they seem to be the cats meow on a 600. I guess you have to adjust for the 15mm rear tire height difference, but many guys are swearing by them, and guys are making up some serious time in their laps with the bigger contact patch, they are getting on the gas harder and sooner. The only downfall Ive read is you push the front more becasue of the traction, and on some bikes the chain rubs on the tire.

Anyone run them/try them at Mission?

Don't bother, as a rule the larger tire slows down the steering and unless you are running a highly modded 600 engine don't worry about spinning up the rear tire now and then. The 180 is more than adequate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lowside said:
Don't bother, as a rule the larger tire slows down the steering and unless you are running a highly modded 600 engine don't worry about spinning up the rear tire now and then. The 180 is more than adequate.
I know, just wondered, thought you might be able to carry more corner speed with the larger contact patch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,785 Posts
The 190 has a smaller contact patch because of the different profile. I'd stick with the 180 . Streetriders areas with no corners in there province/state probably started that rumour. I've heard way more people on bikes say the 180 helps it turn better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5thgear said:
The 190 has a smaller contact patch because of the different profile. I'd stick with the 180 . Streetriders areas with no corners in there province/state probably started that rumour. I've heard way more people on bikes say the 180 helps it turn better.
Dont know man, seems pretty big out east.

just used the 190 rear on my gsxr 750...hit 36's @ vir...my best times yet. Loved it....only was breaking loose at end of day when sun was going down. IM SOLD on the 190. Trust me...I didnt want to start the season on a gamble like that...buy Big Deezul talked me into it! Thanks BRO
190s rock on 600s! i tried a pirelli 190 at Jennings....took a second off my time!
I've got an '02 R6, stock that I race in endurance events at Nelson Ledges, novice.

I've ran the 180/55 208gp UK and USA tires and some 190/60 208GP (star I think) UK. The 190/60 had great side traction and held up to 3 hrs MUCH better, didn't get greasey. I had to lengthen my chain since it would rub the swingarm at high speed and also drop the forks since it was so much taller. I'd have always run the 190/60 but the 180/55 USA tires available and much cheaper.
Well there are a couple of key points that you should do if you change from a 180 to a 190 and then back. For it to work best you need to key in tire pressure to get the full effect and max grip. Then suspension comes into play not just ride height by also other adjustments need to be made to compensate for tire pressure. Used to be by changing tire size was good for different tracks but since tire manuf. are changing the tire profiles it's not as big of a deal as far as quick direction changes...still an issue if you don't have things setup right but a lot less then it used to be. I've heard of some rediculous tire pressures by switching to a 190 and with some radical suspension changes that you would probably WTF that can't work. However, I'm sworn to not to give this info out. Some others may know and spit it out. I recommend it if you can get Mike to work with you on your suspension and tire pressures, but you also need to be able to ride faster with the new changes to really notice a big difference otherwise you may just feel that it made things worse or as someone else mentioned pushing the front, or making the rear feel funky. Get with Mike Fitzgerald he knows the setup.
yeah, my set-up on my bike totally changed. The 190 Dunlop is 15mm taller, so it messed all my setting up. It took me the day to get it back in the ballpark, but was worth it when I got it
when I went on the 190-55 I had to change up my riding style completely and struggled the first round to do the same times from the previous event. I worked with Thermosman and he sorted the set up out and it was good ever since. With the 190 you can throttle a little sooner but you seriously push the front because you have so much traction in the back. I know alot of people are jumping on them and I think alot of people won't utilize the whole tire so it's pointless. Some tracks you'll want to stick with the 180 because of the weight difference and track layout.
I ran a 190 at VIR with cornerspeed because they were out of the 180's. Was a Metzler racetech or whatever, supposedly the same as Pirelli. This was on a 03 R6. I was amazed at how much more confidence I had getting on the gas leaned over and off corners. Seemed to have way more grip. No turn in or handling issues caused by it either. I'm sold.
I believe the new 190/55 on a 6" wheel will have the same profile as the 180/55 does on a 5.5" wheel. So you should get the same roll rate as the 180 but with a larger contact patch.
 

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
Joined
·
2,213 Posts
Don't believe everything you read on the internet :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CrashTested said:
Don't believe everything you read on the internet :p
I know, but why would Michelen make a 190 tire to fit a 5.5" rim?

Im not arguing, but I can see why it would be better, but I guess not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,785 Posts
There running 55 and 60 series tires, most street 190's are the 50 series. Big difference between the 2. They basically made a race profile tire the same as a 180.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top