BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone ever hit a bird?

Well I did today. I was riding down Cypress on the straightaway, when a robin-sized bird came from the bottom right and flew right in front of me. It smoked my helmet on the left side of the visor. I was doing about 170 so I slowed down and stopped. I expected to see some blood, but there was just a big scuff on my visor. I was going to go back and see if it was on the road or something, but I wasn't really sure how far it was up the road, being that the straightaway pretty much all looks the same (and I had slowed and stopped from doing 170).

My head got knocked quite hard and now my neck is stiff and starting to hurt. If the bird is not dead, he will be hurting too.

Oh yeah, and I got home and took off the visor to clean it, and part of the plastic connecting ratchet mechanism is cracked. Shitty.

Has this happened to anyone else? Birds fly in front of my bike all the time on narrow windy roads like Marine Drive in West Van, and I always think one will smoke the front of my bike but I never expected them to hit my head!

I now need a helmet part:

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2628

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yes,when i first rced at westwood in 89,over deers leep flatout ,got it in the shoulder,thought i broke a collarbone but just a baaaad bruise,didnt crash though peer luck!not a pleasant happening ouch!:eek

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Sorry man but that's sort of a funny story. It's funny because you weren't hurt.:D

Read my thread about getting stung by a bee!

Anyways, I bought a similar mechanism for my X-speed helmet. They're not too expensive. Maybe 10 or 15 bucks.

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
1,697 Posts
Yes..In March at SFU...I was doing about 150-160 when a little fuzz ball came out of a bush by the road. It hit my visor and desintegrated. My buddy who ,was riding behind me, said that all he saw was this explosion of feathers erupt from my helmet..kinda like when you shoot a pillow...lol.
There was no blood on me but my visor was covered in some liquid that looked like condensed milk...it was gross.
Didn't hurt though...must be the angle of impact..or my awsome helmet.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya it was pretty funny 'cause I was OK and didn't crash. I was accelerating hard so if it happened further down the road it would have been at about 200km/h so who knows. The rest of the ride I just couldn't believe it happened!

I just read your bee story, pretty funny too.

Like I said I had no blood but the white milky crap was on my visor too!

·
Registered
193 Posts
oh damn... at least you are okay. can you imagine what could have happened if the bird was inches off and splat right into your faceshield?! or what if you had your visor open?! ouch, now that would hurt!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Wow, I always wondered about this but never asked. I have birds dive in front of my bike all the time..

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm.... white milky "crap" - what could that be.....:laughing :laughing

Too bad about the birds :(

·
ROAR!!!!!!
1,175 Posts
Hmmm... anyone ever got bird poo on their helmet or whatever while riding? and what did you do?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep!

Hit a Seagull! It hit my fairing though. The only evidence on my bike was a feather and a wad of down. I was going about 190-200 kph.

·
126 Posts
Not on my bike, but when I was learning to drive stick on my friend's car. We were going down the highway when a bird landed right in front of me. I was on a ramp of some sort so I couldn't swerve. I ran right over it. Then in the rearview I saw it roll a few times, open it's wings, then start walking again. I laughed so hard. It was a pretty tough bird. There was that white stuff too. I thing it's just poo (or pee or whatever).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hit a robin (I think that's what it was) at over 220 last summer. :eek

It hit me on the left side of my chest and just about knocked me off the bike! There was a big exposion of feathers and when I pulled over there was some blood and other "stuff" on the front of my jacket. It felt like being hit with a line drive fast ball, I had a big, yellow bruise the next day.

To this day, when I see birds on the road, I think about it and wonder what would have happened if he had drilled me beak first?

·
Nutrition guy
1,315 Posts
No birds but I hit a mother of a squirrel running accross the road. I felt really bad so I picked him and through him in the bushes when at the same time a young girl was walking towards me. Oh yeah, last night I almost hit a skunk with the car and I had to gun it to just miss him because he wasn't stopping. That would have reaked:eek . :laughing I have been hit by a dragonfly though that exploded on my jacket and left huge mess on my arm.

·
Premium Member
9,052 Posts
Ok...close your eyes and imagine the following. Its August and freakin' hot and I'm riding out to Penticton on my bike alone. Beautiful day but like a blast furnace. Bugs, wasps, mosquitos, no seeums, bees......you name it, I killed 'em all with my head. Still got your eyes closed? I'm getting tired, so I stop in at Manning Park Resort. I walk in and go up to the front counter and the girl behind the counter screams........she literally screamed, and half the room turned around and looked at my in horror.

You see, this was back in my beenie days riding a hog. Aint't got no face shield.....ain't got no fairing. I leaned over to look at myself in the mirror attached to the rack of sunglasses. My entire face and neck were encrusted (Yes! encrusted) with bug guts and blood. I looked like I had been in an accident or someone had taken a mallet to my face.

I like full facers now;)

(It's ok to open your eyes now)

·
builder of bikes
4,802 Posts
Got in n th eshoulder at about 150 going down the freeway near Langley. I didn't see it but it HAD to be a bird...no bugs that big leave a mark like that...felt like I hit a 2X4.

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,817 Posts
I've had so many close calls with wildlife it's almost ridiculous. Doing 180ish, a squirrel ran across the road, and did a very strange jumping dance right infront of me. The damn thing jumped back just inches away from my front wheel. very strange.

I also hit a bird once. I ducked, so it only grazed the top of my helmet. no mess. (I'll try harder next time)

scariest though was watching as a deer almost jumped out into the road infront of us on the way up to kelowna. It did some wierd matrix-like gravity defying manouver in mid air to change direction and avoid us. very strange indeed!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a 2 X 4 pop out from under a semi and hit me in the foot. I had a big chunk of styrofoam bean me in the head, but no birds, yet. although DNA and I were riding in glen valley last summer and a bird came out of the brush on the side of the road and almost went right in his wheel well. that was exciting. I'll get one this year for sure, I promise!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My last ride down from Cypress with Xyban and Dano18 we passed a little black bear on one of the straights. Being little it was probably still about 300-400 pounds. That wouldv'e hurt hitting... :(

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hit a robin @ about 145 while still accelerating off the top left of my helmet. No blood, just shit all over the visor. Luckily didn't hurt much either, glancing blow or something.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The first time I saw a black bear by the side of the road was on my way back from Tofino and saw a deer on my way back from Cache Creek last year....

Boy are we lucky the DODO is extinct.....imagine that hitting us...:rolleyes :rolleyes

1 - 20 of 37 Posts