BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's Part 1 of our Arctic Circle adventures. Note, the video seems to have trouble playing on some mobile devices.

https://youtu.be/_hlX_-RCUBQ

This years trip has been planned and prepared for. This is a preemptive post on my annual LD trip coming up with the goal of riding to Inuvik, with a photo op at the Arctic Circle. Adam112 and I have been gearing up for this one for the past several months.

Just mounted some new shoes on Thunder Thighs yesterday, and I'm ready to go!

Pancakes and Waffles will be making sure the bears don't eat us.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
Adam112, he's out of rehab again, nice. Have a great trip!

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
It's not the bears that'll get you; it's the bugs! You only have to outrun Adam112 to avoid the bears ;)
Fill a jerry can with Deet, not gas!
...I'm just jealous! :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
I know a fellow who went to Dawson and back and I thought that was epic but you will just be getting into the really interesting stuff once passed Dawson. :rockon

·
Super Moderator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are P&W holding speed-radar-guns?
Those are E-11 Blaster Rifles. Duh!

It's not the bears that'll get you; it's the bugs! You only have to outrun Adam112 to avoid the bears ;)
Fill a jerry can with Deet, not gas!
...I'm just jealous! :)
I've hopefully prepared for the bugs. But yes, I hear they will be vicious. What the hell do they live on besides unfortunate motorcyclists?

I know a fellow who went to Dawson and back and I thought that was epic but you will just be getting into the really interesting stuff once passed Dawson. :rockon
Roughly 1600 kms unpaved. More if the weather cooperates and we make good time!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I just returned from Yellowknife with 650km of gravel/chipseal/dirt, that was enough standing up for me. Good leg conditioning exercise though, you should be pretty strong when you get home. Surfing can be fun.

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Look like the Heidenau K 60's? I put the K60's on my Triumph Tiger last year and after 5 - 6,000 kms mostly on pavement to Montana and back and around BC they still look good. Very capable on pavement unless pushed really hard with a heavy load (then they get a little vague and wander) but brilliant off road in dirt, loose soil/sand and climbing over rocks & crap. Wonderful tires...

Have fun - looking forward to seeing your photos :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Exciting trip,

Just to make you feel a bit easier about taking on this ride, here's a couple of photos of my friend Sebastiaan and his Ducati GT1000 stopping at my house on his way back to San Francisco ......... from Prudhoe Bay in the Arctic Circle last summer. Rode his Ducati there from San Fran and back. Crashed once when the gravel turned to rock. Otherwise, mechanically an 11,000 mile trouble free ride. Deal with that Ducati haters !!!

Oh, his is the shitty looking one, mine the Starbucks Princes !

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you're interested, both Sebastiaan and his buddy are superb photographers and documented the trip under the heading "Ride North" - you can find lots of links to their website, Facebook, imgur, etc. with great photos if you search "Ride North".

·
Super Moderator
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great! I'll look that up on FB! I don't have too many worries about the riding. I've taken the V-Strom up enough dirt roads to feel confident in handling the Dempster. . . if the weather cooperates. :)

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I've found up North that being prepared to wait out a day or so of shitty weather can make a huge difference in road quality. Murphy says if you give yourself a few extra days you won't need them :coffee

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Wow! I`m wondering if you had guards over the two rads. I`m looking forward to you pics and comments.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts