BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
wannabe poser
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Danier leather jacket that is about 2-3 mm thick, its more of a casual leather jacket and the leather is fairly soft due to it being a designer jacket. But my question is would it hold up if i went down and should i invest in some armor for under the jacket such as a back/ chest armor, if so I was thinking about this.

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/product~pf_id~4656065~dept_id~1403807.asp

any imput would be great thanks :D

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
No offence, but I highly doubt your Danier leather coat has leather 2-3mm thick. If it is, it isn't abrasion-resistant worth a damn.
Top-of-the-line race suits boast leather up to 1.4mm. :thumbup

·
More than meets the eye
1,327 Posts
field armor is fine, but you will want something for your elbow/fore-arm.

and no you danier would not hold up, motorcycle jackets have differnet type of stitching in the seems, different leather, tighter fit, etc...

Don't cheap out on a jacket. How much is your life worth??

·
wannabe poser
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya sorry my bad with the measurments measured at the cuffs... i think the thickness for the body of the jacket is prob around .8ish +/- .2 not 100 positive tho... so i guess the idea would be to get a actual riding leather jacket? thanks for the input :D

T

·
0 Posts
Pvt. BLOGGINS said:
field armor is fine, but you will want something for your elbow/fore-arm.

and no you danier would not hold up, motorcycle jackets have differnet type of stitching in the seems, different leather, tighter fit, etc...

Don't cheap out on a jacket. How much is your life worth??
here yee here yee...That Danier crap doesnt even look good :laughing

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Just for your own information, go to a good bike shop like Bby Kawi that has a good selection of high end bike leathers.

Feel how much thicker the leather is, especially in high impact areas. Note how the threads on the seams are either protected under extra folds of leather, or on the inside of the jacket.

Leather protects well, but only if it's snug against your body. Bike leathers are cut closer than fashion leathers, and won't ride up when you're on the bike. If it's not a snug fit, you can get a pretty bad rash on the inside of the leathers from friction, and the leather will bunch up on itself, so as to wear out faster when sliding.

That being said, something is better than nothing. I couldn't afford leathers or good textiles when I started out, and I have a wonderfully rashed up college leather jacket and a good set of scars on my hip from where the jacket ended and my jeans began. I somehow found the money soon after.

·
wannabe poser
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright guys thanks for the help, I guess im going to have to spend my tax return on a biking leather jacket..... O ya and for the guy who doesn't think Danier leather looks good has no taste :p, the ladies love the jacket :D haha mine looks like it should be worn while riding.

Anyway does anyone have any suggestions for leather jackets, sorry if this may be a reposted question but i live rather far up north and the biking shops up here are non-existant so i dont really get a chance to try anything on or see it in person, the internet can only do so much... thanks again :D

M

·
0 Posts
im sure people will argue between brand X and brand Y but i think it mainly comes down to look and size youll have to find out your size either with sizing charts, or some test fits. they all fit slightly differently, even different jackets in the brand have slightly different fits, but theyre much closer.
i really like the Astars, icon and Jordan jackets. Im likely gonna get a Red Jordan off ebay, since its half price compared to here.

there really needs to be some adjustment made for the strong canadian dollar (by comparison to the US dollar).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts