BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can give me buying tips for spine protectors, what I should be looking for etc. And I was also wondering if anyone knows what kind of CE armour would work well with the Icon Timax, as I want to get solid armor for where the soft elbow padding is. Recommendations on textile pants would be good too, thanks guys.

D

·
0 Posts
For spine protectors, etc. try companies like Bohn (http://www.bohnarmor.com/) or SixSixOne (http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.aspx?id=591279a4-71a6-444c-aa08-d34a948550d4&pl=MOTO)

Avoid stuff like a lot of that Icon armour, esp. the field vest, as it seems more for appearance vs. function. If you want solid armour in the elbow and a back protector, look into some of the (posted) sixsixone pressure suits, they get you covered on all sides and I -think- some of them allow you to zip out the back protector, but don't quote me on that...

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
^
I have never heard of sixsixone before. Products look good, are they rated though?

I would get a Dainese spine protector.

·
Learning the hard way.
1,334 Posts
I found the sixsixone pressure suits to be extremely uncomfortable. I tried them under jackets and my 2 piece suit with the suit's armour removed and it didn't come CLOSE to fitting. The pressure suits were uncomfortable even by themselves. there was little to no padding under the armour and everytime you bend a body joint, like your elbow, it would dig into the hard plastic. BK used to have one there. Try it on fo yo seelf.

c.

·
Fuelled by rice
4,463 Posts
remember that what you pay is what you get. I spoke to one shop and they said the buyers of the sixsixone protectors sold were usually back to buy the dainese due to comfort. Could be trying to make a sale, who knows. Try them on if you can. Dainese does make a full body armour suit you can wear under a light jacket. Hard armour in shoulders, elbows, kidney belt and spine board. Check ebay b/c it sells for around $400 in stores

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
661 is actually not too bad I've worn it for years. There is alot of armour available , Acerbis , UFO ... The Dianese stuff was the shit 7 years ago because it was the only one not it's way over valued. Nice sales pitch about it. Most of the body armour will not fit under a tight leather jacket, it was never designed for that. But I've had some seroius crashes wearing body armour and I swear by it.

D

·
0 Posts
5thgear said:
661 is actually not too bad I've worn it for years. There is alot of armour available , Acerbis , UFO ... The Dianese stuff was the shit 7 years ago because it was the only one not it's way over valued. Nice sales pitch about it. Most of the body armour will not fit under a tight leather jacket, it was never designed for that. But I've had some seroius crashes wearing body armour and I swear by it.
Spot on, it can be rather hard to fit a full suit of armour under a conventional jacket, it will be uncomfortable. Thats why you see a lot of race suits stitch in a spot for the back protector. The Dainese back protector looks very generic, its the usual 7 plate design that you find most anywhere nowadays for a fraction of the price.

I personally own a Velocity Gear suit (upper: ie: shoulders, elbows, back, chest), its decent stuff, good price CE Level -2- certified and the back protector zips out. URL: http://www.highvelocitygear.com/home.html

If you wind up going with that, squidbusters.com appears to get a deal on it that you can access through their webpage: http://www.squidbusters.com/sb/HV_Gear.php

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I have a UFO back protector that I've worn for two years now. Anytime I throw a leg over the machine without the protector on, I feel naked. There's been a few times I've turned around to go home and get it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
oooo... i like the looks of the sixsixone pressure suit, if it weren't for people here warning of its uncomfort, i'd be tempted to order online! lol... so... other than BK where can I find one to try on? Bill, you gots?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, I appreciate the response, but does anyone know if of some good slip in pads for elbows, and knees? That's basically what I'm wondering about, along with your opinions on spine protection..

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Nuclear_Summer said:
Alright, I appreciate the response, but does anyone know if of some good slip in pads for elbows, and knees? That's basically what I'm wondering about, along with your opinions on spine protection..
see my links above

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
spinster said:
oooo... i like the looks of the sixsixone pressure suit, if it weren't for people here warning of its uncomfort, i'd be tempted to order online! lol... so... other than BK where can I find one to try on? Bill, you gots?

Pressure suit is not that uncomfortable. Everyone has a different body shape. I did a 61' cliff dive wearing one landing on my back and it didn't hurt. I think they work great.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Beware the Bohn stuff, they put fake CE standard tags on their gear, and then when called on it admitted they never tested it anywhere, but that people should just believe them that it provides good protection.

I wore the Knox stuff, and have a Helimot TLV spine board now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know this is kind of kicking a dead horse, but I'd like to know exactly which CE armor pieces would fit in the elbows and knee/shin areas on the timax line of jackets/pants. If anyone knows please confirm this for me, I can't chance getting the wrong stuff, being this far up north, when I decide to get them that is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts