BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 196.00 ticket for an "improperly mounted licence plate". My plate is a little bent, where the Beautiful British Columbia is written, so I can mount it directly to the underside of the seat unit. The plate is completely visible, but according to Dudley Do-Right, it is illegal because I don't have it lighted and I am not using the OEM rear fender. I can understand the part about the light, but, having searched the Motor Vehicle Act website, I can't find anything on using the OEM mounting. It only states that you can't alter or distort any number or letter on your plate. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

·
100% Asshole
3,406 Posts
I got a 196.00 ticket for an "improperly mounted licence plate". My plate is a little bent, where the Beautiful British Columbia is written, so I can mount it directly to the underside of the seat unit. The plate is completely visible, but according to Dudley Do-Right, it is illegal because I don't have it lighted and I am not using the OEM rear fender. I can understand the part about the light, but, having searched the Motor Vehicle Act website, I can't find anything on using the OEM mounting. It only states that you can't alter or distort any number or letter on your plate. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
Sorry buddy but he got you, rear plates have to be illuminated that's the law I just don't think you got a leg to stand on all the other stuff is just incidentals but he got you on the light........pay the fine get a cheap led and wire it in 'nuff said.

G

·
he can have your bike go through an inspection for any type of modifications to OEM .Its lame ,but law

not an asinine ticket ,just an asinine cop trying to find something to do .

this is the biggest prob with giving police discretion ,sometimes they have sense and some times their head is stuffed up their ass reading police statues and codes.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
i believe the motor vehicle laws state that the rearplate must be at the rear of the vehicle in plain sight and be properly lit. nothing about OEM fender being necessary.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't fall for that ticket, it's a total farce. I just went through the motor vehicle act sections concerning license plates and the regulations for mounting them. It says nothing about having part of the top bent. It says the plate has to be horizontal, mounted at the rear of the vehicle, and the plate number/sticker has to be visible. That's it.
http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/M/MotorVehicle/26_58/26_58_01.htm#section3.011

The info is right there, found it through ICBC's regulations/statutes library.
Don't pay that ticket, the cop is trying to scam you.

Dispute it and question the validity of the charge, ie; make them prove that what they are saying is true, they must show evidence.

The trick is, to question the officer at the scene. Don't be a prick, just ask questions. You have a right to fully understand what the cop is charging you with, and therefore, you have a right to make the bastard fully explain, and provide evidence to back what he's saying to you. If he can't explain, or refuses, he has no right to charge you. To be able to enforce their mandate, they must be able to explain it. So simply deflate his power-trip not by arguing, but by making him explain what the hell he is talking about.

·
coco bongo
1,003 Posts
wow, your cereal box law degree seems to be working wonders! police all over BC are going to fear you

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
he is very correct in what the regulations say about presentation of the licensing tag. alot of it is up to interpretation though. i'm not sure i'd be questioning the officer on site though seeing how quickly they can hand out VI's but i'd definately question him in a court of law. i think i'd take the ticket and give him a hearty wave and a "see you in court".

G

·
from every cop ive talked to you cant ALTER your plate in any way at all .As far as that code quote goes you can even have it dirty .

shitty ticket but thats how they do shit sometimes just to dig at ya

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts
just google british columbia motor vehicle act, or follow the links above. on your ticket it will cite the act(s) or regulation (s) that are being broken, look em up, read it, and say to yourself "is my plate lit or not?" cuz apparently it wasnt, so your hooped.

i would say, throw a couple LED's on it, go to court say "i have rectified the issue" (show pictures or the actual bike) and ask nicely if the judge can drop the ticket. you may get off without paying it, just cuz you dont think its right doesnt mean its not illegal

·
Registered
936 Posts
Was it during the daytime or at night that you were stopped? If it was at night and he couldn't read the plate due to the lack of a licence plate night well, nuff said. If it was during the daytime and he singled you out because you didn't have a rear fender, wow, that officer is really studying his MVA Regs....

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help, guys. Most of what the cop told me at the scene turns out to be complete crap, except for the part about the light. On my ticket he only wrote "Improperly mounted taillight", which doesn't say anything about a light.

·
streets belong 2 us
1,850 Posts
i got a ticket for similar bs. what got him and the judge to reduce it from 200 to 25$ was when i told them that i did both my skills test and my road test on the bike, and that before each test each representative of the motor vehicle branch did an inspection to ensure the bike was road-worthy.

this was true in my case.. but anyway you can at least argue that you did attempt to do your due diligence and that the bike was in this condition when you bought it. if they see that you at least made a reasonable effort to not be breaking the rules they might go soft.. worked for me.

·
Jackie Chan's stuntdouble
1,535 Posts
Thanks for the help, guys. Most of what the cop told me at the scene turns out to be complete crap, except for the part about the light. On my ticket he only wrote "Improperly mounted taillight", which doesn't say anything about a light.
What offence were you charged with?

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Don't worry buddy....you have my number...gimmi a call on the cell...

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
You stated it yourself, its not lit...case closed.

·
Eh Muh Gawd Becky!!
6,648 Posts
he was cited with "improperly mounted tail light". sounds pretty disputable to me. doesn't sound like the tail light is really in question.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
If the "Beautiful British Columbia," portion of the plate was bent away from being visible, it's a righteous ticket. That is, it is technically an infraction of that section of the MVA Regulations.
For the moment I'm ignoring the unlit aspect.
I'm of the feeling this is an infraction of the Poultry Act, however, an alternative would have been to write a "fix it," order.
To write a ticket like this, you'd have to ignore all the new car dealers that choose to advertise by installing "license plate frames," that obscure the "british columbia," portion of the plate, the jurisdiction.
Ah, feels good to get my pet peeve out in the open.:)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts