BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HWY 99 closed in both directions since 12:45am won't open till at least 6:00, apparantly 3 bikes down, hope they are ok.

See bcroad reports or news 11:30 before heading out, be careful out there.

·
Sure, yep, lets ride...
478 Posts
I was out with a seperate and unrealate group of riders when we came upon the scene at Tunnel Point (the short passing lane just past Lions Bay). It was a bad way to start the season. One rider went down fatally, a second was pinned under a truck for some time, and a third came away uninjured. The rider under the truck was oriented, and the truck he was under was moving slowly or at a near stop by the time he was pinned (hearsay from another on the scene who attended him). Two other vehicles, a truck and a SUV, appear to have been incidentially involved.

Anything I post on the accident would be speculation based on the conversations and what I saw at the scene, and frankly I'm not an expert on such things not being an accident investigator. Leave it at this, it was morbid, saddening, and the worst of days despite the sunshine.

I will say this, be careful out there. This is a tragic way to begin the season, for those riders, their families and the riding community.

If I never see another rider covered by a yellow tarp in a pool of blood on the road it will be to soon. It drives home the "for keeps" nature of the sport we choose to participate in.

The opening up of the Sea to Sky is causing a tremendous bottleneck at the corner in question where a short passing lane is catching cars off guard. Drivers seem conditioned to expect an unchallenging corner like the rest of the Sea to Sky has become, compete to get past each other in this section and find their skills or common sense fail them. Oddly it feels like more caution needs to be exercised on the revised Sea to Sky these days despite the road being a simpler ride or drive.

·
Sure, yep, lets ride...
478 Posts
I don't know Davey. There was on Ducati 900 Supersport in the group, I think. It was unscathed, so was not the focus of attention. The bike belonging to the gentleman who passed away was unrecognizable, as in you'd be hard pressed to tell the front from the back. I didn't see the thrid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts