BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you come across multiple ATM machines where one has an "out of order" sign, go to another branch. What they are doing now is hacking the remaining atm machines to read your card info.
I had my card lifted this way, luckily I didnt lose much (if any) $$$.....and I am usually very observant to any oddities at my regular ATM.

The newest device for stealing information is a thin, transparent-plastic overlay on an ATM keypad that captures a user's identification code as it is entered. To the card holder, it might look like some sort of cover to protect the keys. In fact, microchips in the device record every keystroke.

Another transparent device inside the card slot captures card data. While the cardholder completes the transaction, a computer attached to the overlay records all the data necessary to clone the card.

Restaurants represent another security leak, according to special agent Jim Kollar, head of the U.S. Secret Service fraud team in Los Angeles. He says employees sometimes pass ATM cards through hand-held card readers as they carry them toward the cash register. Kollar says he's seen similar schemes in convenience stores.

Some ruses are right out in the open. In one especially successful scam, a hand-lettered sign directed ATM customers away from a bank machine. The sign explained that that machine was out of order, and asked customers to use another terminal -- which turned out to be to a card reader set up by a fraud ring, Kollar says.

Once they have the card data, criminals use commercially available card writers -- some selling for as little as $150 -- to make bogus cards.

·
The Comedy is in the Back
11,948 Posts
or the shoe box

·
Registered
978 Posts
there was a hand written sign on the atm saying out of order at the BOM in kerrisdale couple days ago so i used the other atm...bastards better not fuck me over

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
nice scam, where can I buy some of this equipment. :)

Ryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts