BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the foundations laid when I installed the full Yosh system I've decided to go ahead and do the rest of the go faster mods as put forth by Odyseus and Eastwoody over at SBN. Ody is getting in the low 140's out of just a carb tune and an ignition advancer along with a Muzzy full system.

I've got a K&N on order and I'll be getting an advancer soon. The rest is just some new main jets and a few mods like blocking off the Kleen system and removing the anti resonance tubes in the ram air system.

Ody claims smooth effortless power to rip your arms from their sockets and the little delay glitch when rolling on from a coast dissapears also.

What the hell, the extra stuff is only a couple of hundred now that the exhaust system is on there.

So much more rewarding than just putting on some gold ano screws for the fairing................

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Hey Bruce, where are your skills at with Carbs? I'm considering buying Ivan's Needles to go along with my new exhaust (whcih I haven't picked yet, but he highly recommends Akrapovic's)..

Should get me from 98rwhp to about 103.

And according to him.. makes the bike a whole new bike.. no lugging in the lower rpms, smoother power and no flat spots.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I saw that. We'd have to look at it but AFAIK the tank and air box have to come off and then the carbs *should* be accessable enough to change the needles. It all depends on what direction the vacumn diaphragm caps point and what's in the way. If they are blocked by interference with the head then you might have to loosen the carb bank from the head.

But after all that other stuff is done then it's about a 10 minute job :eek

So are you going for the full Akro system after all? I can't see the slip on alone giving you that much improvement.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bl1tz said:
you can never have too much horsepower huh Bruce?
To quote the poster " Be all that you can be". Words to accelerate by................ :D

Mostly I want to do it for the extra midrange and to fix the slight lean surging I noticed last summer. The old red one never did that.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
BMatthews said:
So are you going for the full Akro system after all? I can't see the slip on alone giving you that much improvement.
After speaking with him this morning he said almost every single one of his R6's with an Akra SLIP-ON and his kit make at least 102rwhp and "make it a whole new bike" as far as throttle response and power curve goes.

Full system he would expect about 112ish he said.

I guess my question was more how familliar are you with carbs? Apparently my bike is the largest pain in the ass to work on them with. He (being able to take it ALL apart and put it back together just from knowledge without reference) takes about 3/4's of a day to put it in... about 5 hours shop time he figured... which works out to be about $400 with tax up here.. I'd rather buy you some beer and work on it together.. :D

Apparently you need to take the carbs out and work on them that way.. the nice thing about htet kit though is there is no fiddling, you just put it in, and away you go.

Most guys I've read that have done it themselves have taken a couple nights to do it... I figure start early Saturday morning and hope that we're done by the night, still leaving a Sunday for 'just-in-case' :evil

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, that sounds pretty fair. Obviously there is enough crap around the diaphragm or piston covers to justify removing the carb assembly. But as long as we don't need to break the carbs apart there shouldn't be any need to re-synch them. Well, at least not for the short term.

I suggest it's time for a manual of some sort. Either a Haynes, which I have good opinions of, or the factory. Just consider it part of the cost of this job and a bonus for all the rest. We'll need it for checking the float levels in any event. No new main jets, eh? A full system would probably need them.

Looks like I'd better go ahead with my mods for sure if you're going to have a 600 that'll be breathing down the necks of the liter bikes in the group :D

112 from a 600.................. WOW

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
what's with the sudden quest for horsepower?!?!
Bruce: even with the 9 you need more?:confused
i guess it's time for me to look at a full system with my lowly 600cc's:D :D :D .... a slipon won't do this time.

·
Registered
725 Posts
actually the carbs on our bike come off quite easily

it took me about 15 minutes to take everything off so my friend could to a carb sync and some other stuff, but i have no clue how to change the needles and how long that would take

but at the rate shops move 4 hours sounds reasonable:)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Well Ivan said it takes him about 3/4's of a day to do an R6 setup. And considering it's his kit, and the fact that he really only works on Yamaha's... well that's saying something right there.

Maybe your more skilled that most, but from what I've read it's about a 2 hour job to get the carbs out...

It really isn't that hard a job to do from my reading, just the removal of everything and the re-assembly once done is the real bugger.

Kit, you should seriously look at this kit though, give the guy a call, he's in New York, www.ivansperformanceproducts.com .. I talked with him for a while and he'll quite easily sell you on his product (if the reviews on www.r6messagenet.com arn't enough for ya). :D

·
Registered
725 Posts
ya i have no idea on how long it takes to work on the carbs, ie get the needles out and all that stuff

but taking the carbs out of the bike doesnt take that long, maybe im just rough and yank stuff, haha

but we are always fooling around with the jet kit in my friends bike and my bike (dyno jet kits)

do you know if there is more to it than just a simple needle swap?? cause when we worked on my friends bike when changed the needles a couple times to try and get a good mixture, we kept on changing and then he would ride and come back

unless we are doing something VERY WRONG which is possible:) it didnt take us that long

oh ya - the person doing it used to be the service manager at carter and is also a licensed bike mechanic:) that may have had something to do with it:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
actually come to think of it, it would take that long if he had to keep on swapping out needles to get the optimum mixture,

just checked out his page, and the install into the carb looks more complicated than a dyno jet kit, this is most like the most time consuming part

1 - 12 of 12 Posts